Why is it so hard to overclock a fury X?

DannyDem

I mean the 980ti seems to be a good GPU to overclock (depending if you have luck or not) but for some reason the Fury X which is the competition has a hard time overclocking... and I'm wondering why? 

Despite having an nvidia GPU atm I have used AMD gpu's in the past they always have some great price/perfomance GPU's and well looking that it's hard to overclock one of their best gpu's... a bit dissapointing although without oc the fury X is already a beast

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

I mean the 980ti seems to be a good GPU to overclock (depending if you have luck or not) but for some reason the Fury X which is the competition has a hard time overclocking... and I'm wondering why? 

I guess the fact that HBM is fairly new could be a factor.

If it's anything like AMD's 9xxx cpu's then it's probably bined/factory overclocked so hard it can't be pushed any further, why else would it come pre watercooled to keep Temps down?

I'm just guessing based of what I've seen.

It's possible HBM is so new it's preventing us for safety.

Edit: makes me wonder how Pascal will be as it will have HBM 2.0

Cause nvidia is better

Please, keep your fanboyism out of this topic, it was not requested here.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Cause nvidia is better

That's not an answer

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

If it's anything like AMD's 9xxx cpu's the it's probably bined so hard it can be pushed any further, why else would it come pre watercooled?

I'm just guessing g based of what I've seen.

It's possible HBM is so new it's preventing us for safety.

Edit: makes me wonder how Pascal will be as it will have HBM 2.0

Now that I think about Pascal and HBM 2.0, maybe they've already figured something out, who knows.

Just cause it's closer to it's limits from the factory, if anything the maxwell cards are underclocked from the factory, to keep the power use low.

Just cause it's closer to it's limits from the factory, if anything the maxwell cards are underclocked from the factory, to keep the power use low.

I'm pretty sure they got rid of a bunch of features from Fermi in an attempt to keep power consumption low that would've helped Nvidia in terms of DX12.

Maybe it's already overclocked as far as it can go.

I'm pretty sure they got rid of a bunch of features from Fermi in an attempt to keep power consumption low that would've helped Nvidia in terms of DX12.

Literally makes no sense.

Because of the architecture. And overclocking one requires a hefty amount of cooling and voltage.

Someone had a Fury under ln2 awhile back. I think it got a 10k score in Firestrike extreme.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case