Fio E10k Vs Scarlet 2i2

Joshua P

Hello,

Looking at purchasing a DAC for my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros.
Wanted to know if the DAC and headphone amp in Scarlet was as good as if not better than the FIO.
Or if it is used as a DAC/AMP at all.

Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-USB-Audio-Interfa
fiio_e10k_fiio_e10_usb_dac_1064785.jpg

I would prefer the Scarlet as it looks nicer has the XLR inputs for if I ever wanted to change Microphone.
But if the FIO is a better option for sound quality then this is the route I will take.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on DAC/Amps and audio interface in general. 
(For all I know the scarlet may be something completely different)

The 2i2 has a fairly weak headphone output, it might be too quiet if you listen loud.

I have the Steinberg UR22 at 10 - 20% with Sony MDR-V6s which have an impedance of 62 ohms and a sensitivity of 106 dB/mW, so the UR22 should be loud enough if you don't want to risk it with the 2i2. 

I have no idea how the UR22 compares to other audio interfaces or amps, but the sound seems to have more resolution than the outputs on a Thinkpad laptop, a Macbook Air, a Moto G, and an S3 phone. 

The 2i2 has a fairly weak headphone output, it might be too quiet if you listen loud.

So this would be my first AMP/DAC. I have been using onboard audio currently from my Maximus Ranger VIII. What would you recommend to start improving my audio setup.

I have the Steinberg UR22 at 10 - 20% with Sony MDR-V6s which have an impedance of 62 ohms and a sensitivity of 106 dB/mW, so the UR22 should be loud enough if you don't want to risk it with the 2i2. 

I have no idea how the UR22 compares to other audio interfaces or amps, but the sound seems to have more resolution than the outputs of outputs on a Thinkpad laptop, a Macbook Air, a Moto G, and an S3 phone. 

Looking at the UR22 it seems to be very similar to the scarlet in terms of features, Thanks for the suggestion.

So this would be my first AMP/DAC. I have been using onboard audio currently from my Maximus Ranger VIII. What would you recommend to start improving my audio setup.

What's wrong with your motherboard?

What's wrong with your motherboard?

Nothing, wanting to improve my audio setup is all. Would there be a noticeable difference between the onboard of the VIII Ranger or not?

Nothing, wanting to improve my audio setup is all. Would there be a noticeable difference between the onboard of the VIII Ranger or not?

In my experience, there isn't much of a difference between units like the Fiio and onboard, unless you listen to really quiet music or have obvious problems with said onboard.