Linus's Son's Reading Program

potatoproduction

I was wondering what Linus's Son uses that helped him learn reading quickly. He mentioned it in a WAN show but I don't remember what it was. I have a little sister beginning to read and a program like this would help allot.

I don't know. But English lesson for you. When you are using a word that ends in a S, and are trying to make is possessive, don't use 's, just add an apostrophe. So instead of, "Linus's" you should of said, Linus'    

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I don't know. But English lesson for you. When you are using a word that ends in a S, and are trying to make is possessive, don't use 's, just add an apostrophe. So instead of, "Linus's" you should of said, Linus'    

This problem has been plaguing the internet since its inception. The fact that many people over the age of 12 cannot write properly is troubling. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

This entire thread will have everyone correcting each other. >.>

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460; MOBO: ASRock H97M-PRO4; RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1600MHz; SSD: A-Data SP600 128GB; HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB; GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB; PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W; Case: Thermaltake Core V21 w/ AF140 blue LED fan (exhaust); Monitor: Acer H226HQLBid 21.5" 60Hz 5ms IPS (GTG) HDMI

Try this. Works very well from age 4 and up.

Webster's Blue Backed Speller 

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Blue-Back-Speller/dp/192924116X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447299610&sr=1-2&keywords=websters+blue+backed+speller

The New England Primer.

http://www.amazon.com/New-England-Primer-David-Barton/dp/092527917X

I know it doesn't answer your question but this was the standard of English in the US for over 120 years, it teaches both how to read and speak properly in full thought.

Still beats the pants off anything we have in public school today.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I think Linus is speaking about YT channel which does the teaching part. Some careful browsing over Lynda sponsor spots on last few WAN shows could be the answer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This problem has been plaguing the internet since its inception. The fact that many people over the age of 12 cannot write properly is troubling. 

At 12 years I wouldn't expect someone to write "properly". 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I was able to write properly at the age of 12.

There is nothing wrong with encouraging a toddler who shows interest in subjects. Nothing wrong with that at all, it helped me immensely at school.

Forcing a toddler to learn things earlier than is perceived to be the "norm", I do have an issue with, though. This is speaking from my personal experience of having a cousin who was privately, home educated on top of going to an ordinary state school, forced to do extra-curricular activities such as ballet, constantly had her praises and expectations sung by her parents at any family gathering. It lead to her having huge issues with anorexia and depression/anxiety as she grew up once she failed a couple of exams and the parents forced her to retake, etc.

As long as you're sensible about it, it's all good and it is fantastic that the child has an interest in developing his own skills - it almost seems like a rarity in this day and age and I am pleased to hear Linus say that he controls how much tech time his boy gets - it'd be very easy with his job and the amount of tech they get asked to review to just let the child be a zombie in front of flashing lights and displays instead of dedicating quality time to him.

Long winded "thumbs up" to Linus, essentially. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/checkgate?&ab_channel=ABCkidTV

I think this might be the channel. I swear it had abc in its name.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I don't know about you, but I would naturally pronounce it with an extra S when saying it aloud "Linus-es son", not, "Linus son" and so the rule I was taught was that if a personal name ends in S, if you would typically pronounce it with an extra S, it's 's 

Funny thing is that both are accepted uses of possessive form in words ending with "s". So both Linus's and Linus' is correct.