[BW] 427 GHz Graphene Transistor Clocked

Sgt

0820_graphene_630x420.jpg

Graphene is wickedly conductive, which is important. A graphene transistor was clocked at 427 GHz. Not to get all Doc Brown on it—427 GHZ!—but that’s insane in the membrane (i.e., insane in the brain). An 11-inch MacBook comes with a stock processor running at 1.3 GHz. So a graphene-based processor, in theory, could run 300 times that. Zoom-zoom, know what I’m sayin’?

Source : http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-20/scientists-take-graphene-to-the-next-level

inb4 but will it run crysis minecraft minesweeper

Cool story though TY for share

It will run crysis even without any kind of GPU cores inside! =))

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

we might see new processors in year or two  ;)

But how long will it take to make it consumer grade. Graphene will have no effect on us consumers for quite some time, probably 20-50 years perhaps, so we still have a long way to go.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

But how long will it take to make it consumer grade. Graphene will have no effect on us consumers for quite some time, probably 20-50 years perhaps, so we still have a long way to go.

20-50 years? I'm thinking sooner than that if we're to ever use it. Considering we've just heard of it, it's probably already been in the works for quite some time.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nope, once the first cpu is there, current processors will become obsolete. 5 years from now, silicone will reach it's limit...just in time for carbon nanotubes to see the daylight.  

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

The fact that they use a Macbook Air as a reference for clockspeeds makes the article a lot less trustworthy.

A year or two? try at least a decade

1.picture is irrelevant

2. its odd

The problem with graphene is that it has no band gap; electrons can flow at any energy. So the major focus of graphene engineers has been to find ways of creating an artificial band gap using methods such as applying electric fields, doping with atoms or by stretching and squeezing the material.

why didnt they try twisting ........

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/163864-discovery-of-twisted-graphene-may-finally-make-ultra-fast-electronics-possible

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

20-50 years? I'm thinking sooner than that if we to ever use it. Considering we've just heard of it, it's probably already been in the works for quite some time.

latest forecast show 10 years

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Nope, once the first cpu is there, current processors will become obsolete. 5 years from now, silicone will reach it's limit...just in time for carbon nanotubes to see the daylight.  

we will see 3nm silicon cpu in around 2022

and even after that didnt u read about Chip stacking ?

samsung is already leading with their new V-NAND technology

intel already made prototypes in 2004 it is feasible

much easier than redoing everything in Graphene

here is a great article

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/119843-the-future-of-computers-3d-chip-stacking

http://phys.org/news187454589.html

also just google "Chip stacking" and you can read more about it

2 Questions

Why aren't CPU's/GPU's already made of this stuff?

When can I get some?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

We will definitely see new processors in a year or two, but those processors we do see probably won't be using this technology.

The fact that they use a Macbook Air as a reference for clockspeeds makes the article a lot less trustworthy.

The fact that they use a MacBook is that because its one of the most popular laptop. So its easier to undestand how graphene stuff can be way more powerful, to people that are non-enthusiast or don't really understand.

The fact that they use a MacBook is that because its one of the most popular laptop. So its easier to undestand how graphene stuff can be way more powerful, to people that are non-enthusiast or don't really understand.

it s not only the apple reference but also the choice of words...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

We will reach silicon usage barrier in 10 years or more if they keep this slow upgrade tempo up, so everyone can have as much cash as they can pull out of the consumer, so 10-15 years we will still use silicon, they have to sort out manufacturing, not to mention binning the damn thing, i read somewhere that it is not that easy right now, but in 10 years time we might see a working prototype and after a  few years consumer grade models.

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

We will reach silicon usage barrier in 10 years or more if they keep this slow upgrade tempo up, so everyone can have as much cash as they can pull out of the consumer, so 10-15 years we will still use silicon, they have to sort out manufacturing, not to mention binning the damn thing, i read somewhere that it is not that easy right now, but in 10 years time we might see a working prototype and after a  few years consumer grade models.

didnt u read about Chip stacking ?

samsung is already leading with their new V-NAND technology

intel already made prototypes in 2004 it is feasible

much easier than redoing everything in Graphene

here is a great article

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/119843-the-future-of-computers-3d-chip-stacking

http://phys.org/news187454589.html

also just google "Chip stacking" and you can read more about it

2 Questions

Why aren't CPU's/GPU's already made of this stuff?

When can I get some?

Graphene has been around for a while now but the process it takes to make the stuff is very costly from what i understand.

From average 4.5GHZ to OVER 400GHZ!?!?!?!?!?

WHAT COOLING!?!?!? I MUST KNOW!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

427 GHz.... wow... imagine what kind of software and games that could be built utilizing this power.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1