R9 390 Fallout 4 Optimization

Matt_Twinkletoes

(fun fact: the GTX 980 and 980ti are amongst the fastest cards EVER when accelerating compute task under CUDA...and IF openCL is also supported, two FuryX put togheter are STILL slower than a single 980ti running cuda ;))

No friend. Try something like a bitcoin miner with openCL using a Fury versus a 980Ti using CUDA. Watch the 980Ti get RAPED in performance. CUDA or not, the cards favour sequential since Fermi. CUDA simply doesn't give the cards tasks it can't perform in. Try a Titan Black with double precision turned on in tasks that use it... Maxwell Quadro cards can't even keep up.

i don't know much about laptop GPU's to be honest...maybe that's something to look at...but when it comes to GTX 780/950/960/970/980/980ti i know those are getting good, stable and reliable performance across the board according to the many reviews i've seen so far

No, they really aren't. Check their forums. The last two drivers have prevented peoples' GPUs from downclocking. They removed mixed WDDM support from 358.50 to state that it isn't supported yet and will be added later, with no response to why the previous drivers had it. Let me make a list for you of the shit nVidia drivers have done since 350.12

- Constant TDRs without stressing the card (this feature was mostly removed as of 355.60 but some people still enjoy it with later drivers)

- Artifacting after recovering from sleep with 355.82

- Bricking PCs with 355.83 hotfix

- Removal of mixed WDDM mode present in 358.50 with 358.87 and later

- Inability to install on some lenovo machines with Win 10 post 355.98

- Inability to downclock GPUs on 358.87

- Breaking of Gsync with windowed mode

- Crippling of 780M SLI in Alienware machines at stock

- Bricking of LCD panels in many notebooks which use dGPU-only after installing Windows 10

- Freezing and crashing of Windows if Killer Wifi suite drivers were installed somewhere around 353.06

- Stealing of 1/8 of available vRAM in Windows 10 using 353.62 drivers (unsure if present in later drivers)

- Inability to turn on SLI in Windows 10 for many GPU users

Every. SINGLE. One of these. Has been met with the responses of "We can't reproduce the problem and we don't know what's causing it" by nVidia when brought up.

Oh, and of course the removal of overclocking.

And let me tell you one more thing. Remember when the overclock blocking came into effect for mobile GPUs? Did you know that the drivers that blocked overclocking also fixed the innate power/performance throttle on the cards with the stock vBIOS? OCing caused the cards to draw too much power from that state for many of the notebooks they put them in, so they disabled it. When they re-enabled it, the cards' performance went right back down, and the only way to fix it is with custom vBIOSes. Because "lord and master nVidrosoft decrees they are perfect and totally don't screw over mobile users".

#Gameworks #NoAMDDriversYet

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

#Gameworks #NoAMDDriversYet

#AMDforPoorPeopleBeindBothinTechANDPerformanceAsitisAlwaysTheCaseiCanTellYouMyCardCanRunTheGodRaysForMilesAnditLooksEpicIt'sVerySadA800$AMDGPUcantevenrenderthemwithoutbuggingdowntoACrawlSon ;)

ALSO...'' The last two drivers have prevented peoples' GPUs from downclocking.''This applies to mobile GPu or the shit that came out with pcper recently discovering what the rest of the world knew for a while that the GPu won't trottle on 144hz monitor due to pixel clock being pushed too far?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

ALSO...'' The last two drivers have prevented peoples' GPUs from downclocking.''This applies to mobile GPu or the shit that came out with pcper recently discovering what the rest of the world knew for a while that the GPu won't trottle on 144hz monitor due to pixel clock being pushed too far?

Many desktop GPU users have noticed their GPUs running much hotter and their fans going. Their GPUs are not downclocking. Or more correctly, they're getting stuck in P0 state.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Many desktop GPU users have noticed their GPUs running much hotter and their fans going. Their GPUs are not downclocking. Or more correctly, they're getting stuck in P0 state.

yeah but that is NOT a driver issue this is a pixel clock related issue and it's always been like that ever since the first 1440p 144hz monitor started popin-up this has been pointed out...here the proof those old forum thread with people discussing that...i knew even BEFORE purchasing my XB270HU that my GPu would do that when paired with a 1440p 144hz panel...it's just too much pixels to push for the bottom state pixel clock:

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=144hz+gpu+not+downclocking

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yeah but that is NOT a driver issue this is a pixel clock related issue and it's always been like that ever since the first 1440p 144hz monitor started popin-up this has been pointed out...here the proof those old forum thread with people discussing that...i knew even BEFORE purchasing my XB270HU that my GPu would do that when paired with a 1440p 144hz panel...it's just too much pixels to push for the bottom state pixel clock:

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=144hz+gpu+not+downclocking

No. I meant for EVERYONE. Not for 144Hz panels. 358.87 and 358.91 drivers are freezing GPUs in P0 states, even on 60Hz panels.

#AMDforPoorPeopleBeindBothinTechANDPerformanceAsitisAlwaysTheCaseiCanTellYouMyCardCanRunTheGodRaysForMilesAnditLooksEpicIt'sVerySadA800$AMDGPUcantevenrenderthemwithoutbuggingdowntoACrawlSon ;)

Welp, your opinions are no longer valid due to your blatant fanboyism.

I'll admit, I can't run Godrays to an acceptable performance level. But I will also say that they look dumb as shit. That kind of heavy light shafting doesn't exist in the real world so I have no regrets about turning it off. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Welp, your opinions are no longer valid due to your blatant fanboyism.

I'll admit, I can't run Godrays to an acceptable performance level. But I will also say that they look dumb as shit. That kind of heavy light shafting doesn't exist in the real world so I have no regrets about turning it off.

Calls someone a fanboy, then calls something they can't use dumb. Well now.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

He and thousands of others call Gameworks dumb - even developers call it dumb.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

He and thousands of others call Gameworks dumb - even developers call it dumb.

So much so just about my entire game library say Gameworks. Witcher 3, Mechwarrior online, and now Fallout 4 to name the ones I play the most.

So much so just about my entire game library say Gameworks. Witcher 3, Mechwarrior online, and now Fallout 4 to name the ones I play the most.

There are less that a handful of games that use Gameworks - either your library is very small or you're intentionally buying Gameworks only games

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

There are less that a handful of games that use Gameworks - either your library is very small or you're intentionally buying Gameworks only games

Possibly unintentionally, or the games I like happen to be supported you Gameworks.

Technically I was just calling the single effect dumb because it looks unrealistic. Doesn't matter if it was an Nvidia product or not, it still looks bad.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

Possibly unintentionally, or the games I like happen to be supported you Gameworks.

But only 3-4 games use gameworks - Batman, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and I believe Project Cars.

Technically I was just calling the single effect dumb because it looks unrealistic. Doesn't matter if it was an Nvidia product or not, it still looks bad.

You don't think you're inability to use the feature has affected your view of it? I've seen the feature at the max setting and it pretty fucking cool.

You don't think you're inability to use the feature has affected your view of it? I've seen the feature at the max setting and it pretty fucking cool.

So have I. It's not like I can't run it, it's just that 30 fps in some areas sucks. I can still SEE the effect, and it looks bad. It's unrealistic and distracts from the rest of the game. I'll change my opinion when I walk outside one day and see distinct individual light shafts from every single branch of a tree. Until that day comes, my position stands.

So have I. It's not like I can't run it, it's just that 30 fps in some areas sucks. I can still SEE the effect, and it looks bad. It's unrealistic and distracts from the rest of the game. I'll change my opinion when I walk outside one day and see distinct individual light shafts from every single branch of a tree. Until that day comes, my position stands.

Might be why we see it differently, we get those here. Quite common actually. That and sun gods(Google it), now there's an effect no card could run lol.

Tried out Fallout 4 with my 390 today and seems to run just fine, i obviously set god rays to just low, also tried running them on ultra and i cant for the life of me see a big difference whatsoever, i might also fall into the category of "older" generation that dont have to have the perfect picture quality with everything on max. I still run 1080p and i get that 1440p looks a bit better, but gaming at 4K is still a mystery to me.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Tried out Fallout 4 with my 390 today and seems to run just fine, i obviously set god rays to just low, also tried running them on ultra and i cant for the life of me see a big difference whatsoever, i might also fall into the category of "older" generation that dont have to have the perfect picture quality with everything on max. I still run 1080p and i get that 1440p looks a bit better, but gaming at 4K is still a mystery to me.

You won't see an issue until you try entering Lexington. There you're lucky to get 40fps.

You won't see an issue until you try entering Lexington. There you're lucky to get 40fps.

Have not been there yet, so i guess i can look forward to that :) My biggest gripe with the game is that it doesnt even look that good, i mean its a reworked skyrim engine afaik, but then again, its a Bethesda game, they always run like absolute shit until modders get things working right, so sad.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Have not been there yet, so i guess i can look forward to that :) My biggest gripe with the game is that it doesnt even look that good, i mean its a reworked skyrim engine afaik, but then again, its a Bethesda game, they always run like absolute shit until modders get things working right, so sad.

It actually looked good while I could play it, not Witcher good but good.

But why does everyone disagree with you?

At this point I'd advise you to not pay heed to the mindless squabbling here. An i5 actually loses out to the fx 8350 while costing less (in fo4).

I ain't gonna tell you what card are you gonna get. I can only advise you to wait. Wait and see if amd brings out an optimized driver update. Because right now fo4 is also a mess. Gameworks settings are not labeled and the only to completely turn gameworks off is through an ini file.

Even the 980 ti gets a pretty big fps hit when turning godrays to max.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

But only 3-4 games use gameworks - Batman, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and I believe Project Cars.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/tag/nvidia-gameworks

some more in there ^^

also, these:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8546/nvidia-gameworks-more-effects-with-less-effort

Assassin’s Creed: Unity= HBAO+, TXAA, PCSS, Tessellation.

Batman: Arkham Knight= Turbulence, Environmental PhysX, Volumetric Lights, FaceWorks, Rain Effects.

Borderlands:The Pre-Seque = PhysX Particles

Far Cry 4 = HBAO+, PCSS, TXAA, God Rays, Fur, Enhanced 4K Support.

Project CARS = DX11, Turbulence, PhysX Particles, Enhanced 4K Support.

Strif = PhysX Particles, HairWorks

The Crew = HBAO+, TXAA

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt = HairWorks, HBAO+, PhysX, Destruction, Clothing

Warface = PhysX Particles Turbulence, Enhanced 4K Support

War Thunder = WaveWorks, Destruction

that starts to add up right? ...yet it's only the beginning...because...THIS:

https://developer.nvidia.com/what-is-gameworks

Solutions Provided in NVIDIA GameWorks VisualFX

Provides solutions for rendering and effects including:

• HBAO+ Enhanced Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion
  • TXAA Temporal Anti-aliasing
  • Soft Shadows Improves on PCSS to reach new levels of quality and performance, with the ability to render cascaded shadow maps
  • Depth of Field Combination of diffusion based DOF and a fixed cost constant size bokeh effect
  • FaceWorks Library for implementing high-quality skin and eye shading
  • WaveWorks Cinematic-quality ocean simulation for interactive applications
  • HairWorks Enabling simulation and rendering of fur, hair and anything with fibers
  • GI Works Adding Global Illumination greatly improves the realism of the rendered image
  • Turbulence High definition smoke and fog with physical interaction as well as supernatural effects
  • FlameWorks A grid based system for generating fire, smoke and explosion effects for games
Physics

Rigid bodies, cloth, destruction, particles and fluids:

• PhysX Scalable multi-platform game physics solution supporting a wide range of devices, from smartphones to high-end multicore CPUs and GPUs
  • Clothing Quickly generate dynamic clothing. Artist focused with intuitive and easy authoring tools
  • Destruction Enables artists to quickly generate pervasive destruction significantly enhancing the gaming experience
  • Particles & Fluids Particles enable artists to easily provide a much more immersive environment by using physical particles which can interact e.g. with wind and explosion force fields. Particles can also be used to simulate fluids
Core SDK

Exposing access to NVIDIA Hardware:

OptiX For Games

The NVIDIA® OptiX™ Ray Tracing Engine is a programmable ray tracing framework. OptiX is used in the Games to accelerate tasks like accurate ambient occlusion and light baking.

Sample Code

Graphics and compute samples for both OpenGL and DirectX developers, showing cutting edge technique for games.:

Tools

Geforce tools for debugging, profiling and optimizing graphics and compute applications:

Android development tools for debugging, profiling and optimizing graphics and compute applications:They will even start to shit for android soon:

https://developer.nvidia.com/accelerate-your-android-development-latest-tools-and-libraries

it really does...it's taxing though i can tell you this: even on a 980ti you set godrays to medium otherwise you dip bellow 60 at times (at 1440p obviously...1080p god can send as many rays as he wants for miles it's no big deal)...but in the forest when the ray of gods strikes between the trees and stuff it really add a ''feel'' to the game...you feel the air...literally.

Wait and see if amd brings out an optimized driver update

I have until Christmas!

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Why are you wasting so much of your time writing these long paragraphs in such detail to prove such a small point.

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

I have until Christmas!

Should be enough time. If it turns out that amd cards are still performing less. Then the 970 should be your answer.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case