R9 390 Fallout 4 Optimization

Matt_Twinkletoes

what is wrong with the i5 4440? Because I'm not going to upgrade it cause I don't think I need to. So is what you're saying is it is a bad idea to get the 390 with a i5 4440?

listen to this video closely (he used an i5-4690K and that limited even the performance of an R9 380 GPU...imagine what your little 4440 would do with a 390?) :

so...there is nothing wrong with the i5-4440 as you can see, it's just that you have to select an approriate GPU for it since this is no unlocked core i7 CPU a GTX 970 would be a better match for it and will achieve better more consistent performance in fallout 4, this is obvious.

Also, this video should answer many concerns, good good good :

would the 390x be worth the extra 70 dollars?

venturing onto GTX980 territory here which slap bitch the 390X all over the place...so yeah i would say no it's not worth it the 390X is only 8% faster than the 390:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-390-vs-AMD-R9-390X/3481vs3497

GTX 980 though...

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-390-vs-Nvidia-GTX-980/3481vs2576

ALSO, here for the AMD fankids around here, this special treat...Elric at tech of tomorrow gladly made this video, he is using dual FuryX in Crossfire...listen start maybe at 12:30 you can see the AMAZING AMD performance here, 27FPS...1440p...my single 980ti render this at around 65FPS with those settings...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

listen to this video closely (he used an i5-4690K and that limited even the performance of an R9 380 GPU...imagine what your little 4440 would do with a 390?) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imcj_BxGqD4

so...there is nothing wrong with the i5-4440 as you can see, it's just that you have to select an approriate GPU for it since this is no unlocked core i7 CPU a GTX 970 would be a better match for it and will achieve better more consistent performance in fallout 4, this is obvious.

Also, this video should answer many concerns, good good good :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ojEukUj94&list=WL&index=3

venturing onto GTX980 territory here which slap bitch the 390X all over the place...so yeah i would say no it's not worth it the 390X is only 8% faster than the 390:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-390-vs-AMD-R9-390X/3481vs3497

GTX 980 though...

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-390-vs-Nvidia-GTX-980/3481vs2576

But why does everyone disagree with you?

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

because in some instances the 390 prooved to be slightly faster than the 970, and for them that's all that matter...not game support from day one, having drivers released prior to the launch day of every AAA titles...being able to render godrays and all the other eyecandy introduced in the games by nvidia through gameworks and shit. That's probably why.

Sometimes, lower power consumption, better driver support and softwares, better features and also support for all the greatest new technologies is worth a hell of a lot more than a few FPS here and there in some games.

Don't get me wrong, the game WILL get patched...and AMD WILL most likely end up figuring this stuff out and will put out a driver that will make the 390 competitive with the 970 again...the question is how long will this process take? and it's like that pretty much every time a new game hit the market...nvidia is ready a couple days before launch, and AMD a couple weeks/months after launch...which might or might not be a big deal to you, but it certainly is to me and to many others as well.

From a purely hardware stand-point, is the 390 superior to the GTX 970?...honesltly, yes it is in most instances...it's not as efficient but it does pack a slightly stronger punch...both have pros and cons.

In your situation though, the 970 will run off of this CX500 PSU without any issues, the 390 won't...and your CPU will much less be a limitation in games since nvidia code is much lighter on the CPU side of things and this has always been the case...DX12 see this bottleneck removed from the AMD driver set, but it will most likely take at least another year and a half before the bulk of the games out there will be DX12 based and built on DX12 game engines which in most cases havnt even been written yet. So by the time DX12 games will be in full force both those cards will most likely be nearing end of useful life anyways.

As i said, if you would already have a 650W gold PSU, an unlocked CPU idealy an i7 and you would have plans to render games at higher resolutions, or using dual GPU's...then you would be in territory where the 390 would be an OBVIOUS better choice...but the hardware you have right now, and the plans to stick to 1080p single card...i don't know man, i gave you my opinion take it for what it's worth if you plan upgrading slowly the entire rig until it can maybe support crossfire or maybe you want to buy an expensive 1440p monitor like i did and the extra VRAM migh prove useful down the road than by all means...i'm out.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

because in some instances the 390 prooved to be slightly faster than the 970, and for them that's all that matter...not game support from day one, having drivers released prior to the launch day of every AAA titles...being able to render godrays and all the other eyecandy introduced in the games by nvidia through gameworks and shit. That's probably why.

Sometimes, lower power consumption, better driver support and softwares, better features and also support for all the greatest new technologies is worth a hell of a lot more than a few FPS here and there in some games.

Don't get me wrong, the game WILL get patched...and AMD WILL most likely end up figuring this stuff out and will put out a driver that will make the 390 competitive with the 970 again...the question is how long will this process take? and it's like that pretty much every time a new game hit the market...nvidia is ready a couple days before launch, and AMD a couple weeks/months after launch...which might or might not be a big deal to you, but it certainly is to me and to many others as well.

From a purely hardware stand-point, is the 390 superior to the GTX 970?...honesltly, yes it is in most instances...it's not as efficient but it does pack a slightly stronger punch...both have pros and cons.

In your situation though, the 970 will run off of this CX500 PSU without any issues, the 390 won't...and your CPU will much less be a limitation in games since nvidia code is much lighter on the CPU side of things and this has always been the case...DX12 see this bottleneck removed from the AMD driver set, but it will most likely take at least another year and a half before the bulk of the games out there will be DX12 based and built on DX12 game engines which in most cases havnt even been written yet. So by the time DX12 games will be in full force both those cards will most likely be nearing end of useful life anyways.

As i said, if you would already have a 650W gold PSU, an unlocked CPU idealy an i7 and you would have plans to render games at higher resolutions, or using dual GPU's...then you would be in territory where the 390 would be an OBVIOUS better choice...but the hardware you have right now, and the plans to stick to 1080p single card...i don't know man, i gave you my opinion take it for what it's worth if you plan upgrading slowly the entire rig until it can maybe support crossfire or maybe you want to buy an expensive 1440p monitor like i did and the extra VRAM migh prove useful down the road than by all means...i'm out.

idk if I will slowly upgrade my pic I can't crossfire with a micro atx mobo so it would be a lot of money to upgrade my pc case, mobo, cpu, and ram

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

AMD are at least working on new drivers though :P Let's hope they come soon.

If you are talking about the Radeon Crimson Edition driver... just think back to the buggy OMEGA drivers and that's probably how it will go.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

idk if I will slowly upgrade my pic I can't crossfire with a micro atx mobo so it would be a lot of money to upgrade my pc case, mobo, cpu, and ram

i do not advise you to do that either...dual GPU is not really optimal wheter we're talking SLI or crossfire it does not always work, and when it does it often has issues. Also yes to run dual 390 in crossfire you do need a big case with plenty of airflow and an 850W gold PSU or better..a motherboard with dual X16 PCIe3.0 lanes wired to the CPU (not X4...but something with X8/X8 support (SLI)) so this is defenetly not a route you should be even thinking about.

If you have budget for both a new high quality powersupply and an R9 390 GPU then might as well do that...or you can just get a GTX 970 and call it a day for a while. Those are the two options that would make any kind of sense for your right now, both offer similar performance in the end...one cost more but you upgrade two components at once (PSU are futureproof and last a long time so if you buy a good one it can follow you for like 10 years+ so this can also proved to be a very good move BTW)...but i feel with the rest of your machine being mid-rangeish it's probably better to leave it has is and just trow a powerful GPU such as the GTX 970...when the 970 will no longer cut it in a couple years just sell it to the most offering and see from there if you want/need a new CPU, case, motherboard etc....

i do not advise you to do that either...dual GPU is not really optimal wheter we're talking SLI or crossfire it does not always work, and when it does it often has issues. Also yes to run dual 390 in crossfire you do need a big case with plenty of airflow and an 850W gold PSU or better..a motherboard with dual X16 PCIe3.0 lanes wired to the CPU (not X4...but something with X8/X8 support (SLI)) so this is defenetly not a route you should be even thinking about.

If you have budget for both a new high quality powersupply and an R9 390 GPU then might as well do that...or you can just get a GTX 970 and call it a day for a while. Those are the two options that would make any kind of sense for your right now, both offer similar performance in the end...one cost more but you upgrade two components at once (PSU are futureproof and last a long time so if you buy a good one it can follow you for like 10 years+ so this can also proved to be a very good move BTW)...but i feel with the rest of your machine being mid-rangeish it's probably better to leave it has is and just trow a powerful GPU such as the GTX 970...when the 970 will no longer cut it in a couple years just sell it to the most offering and see from there if you want/need a new CPU, case, motherboard etc....

Hows it feel to be right? Fallout 4 runs better on Nvidia, and SLi works. While AMD customers wait for a driver that may or may not be in the works because AMD won't even comment on the problem, and Crossfire gets another game to add to the list of games it won't work with.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So will my cx500w psu be okay with a 970? I don't want it to fry my pc or something..because I'm fine with getting a new psu. Will I be missing out on anything that the 390 has and the 970 doesn't like the vram? Or will I be uneffected? This is the 970 I want to get if I get one: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming100me

Because he's a fanboy

So will my cx500w psu be okay with a 970? I don't want it to fry my pc or something..because I'm fine with getting a new psu. Will I be missing out on anything that the 390 has and the 970 doesn't like the vram? Or will I be uneffected?

Simple answer - no. CX PSUs + any form of GPU above a 750 Ti = bad.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Simple answer - no. CX PSUs + any form of GPU above a 750 Ti = bad.

Thanks

Hows it feel to be right? Fallout 4 runs better on Nvidia, and SLi works. While AMD customers wait for a driver that may or may not be in the works because AMD won't even comment on the problem, and Crossfire gets another game to add to the list of games it won't work with.

Man, you do realise that it's normal for an Nvidia-sponsored game to work on their stuff first - it was the same with Witcher 3. With Tomb Raider and Battlefront it's the other way around. Calm down already. Sheesh.

"Better driver support and software" - Okay, why did my driver crash AS SOON AS I INSTALLED IT?!? I have a 860M/750 Ti - explain it to me (user review with photo proof tomorrow)

"Support for the greatest new technology" - choose your words carefully - as far as I remember the 970 is so cut-down it gets outperformed by a GTX 480 in compute. That also doesn't explain why the most performance-beneficial feature of DX12 is not supported on a hardware level.

Because of Uni I cannot be bothered to waste time arguing but I really think you should stop being so biased. I now own both Nvidia and AMD - I can speak from both sides of the trenches. Both cards are good, both cards work. Both have similar feature sets. The 390 has double the VRAM. The 970 uses 80W less (assuming 100% load 24/7 that means 5-10$ yearly - an average AC pulls 1000-2000W whereas an average PC pulls 500W under MAX load).

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So will my cx500w psu be okay with a 970? I don't want it to fry my pc or something..because I'm fine with getting a new psu. Will I be missing out on anything that the 390 has and the 970 doesn't like the vram? Or will I be uneffected? This is the 970 I want to get if I get one: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming100me

it's not a flawless PSU but the 970 is very efficient and paired with your i5 CPU which is also very energy efficient will put a load of less than 400W on your PSU under full load. SO, so long as your CX powersupply is not defective (which i assume you would know by now since it would have already blown up most likely) then you should be more than fine..

Thanks

My honest advice - just get an XFX TS 550W (bronze works as well - it's a SeaSonic rebrand) and afterwards consider what you want - 80W less power draw and lower heat or more VRAM for future games that WILL need it and slightly more power

it's not a flawless PSU but the 970 is very efficient and paired with your i5 CPU which is also very energy efficient will put a load of less than 400W on your PSU under full load. SO, so long as your CX powersupply is not defective (which i assume you would know by now since it would have already blown up most likely) than you should be more than fine..

It's been under 35% load up until now - with a 970 you push the load to 75% - that MIGHT set it off

Man, you do realise that it's normal for an Nvidia-sponsored game to work on their stuff first - it was the same with Witcher 3. With Tomb Raider and Battlefront it's the other way around. Calm down already. Sheesh.

Please tell me you did NOT just recommend a office-grade PSU for a gaming build with a 970? I'm sorry but you are either high or stupid.

"Nvidia code is much lighter"  - okay, now you're just being silly.

"Better driver support and software" - Okay, why did my driver crash AS SOON AS I INSTALLED IT?!? I have a 860M/750 Ti - explain it to me (user review with photo proof tomorrow)

"Support for the greatest new technology" - choose your words carefully - as far as I remember the 970 is so cut-down it gets outperformed by a GTX 480 in compute. That also doesn't explain why the most performance-beneficial feature of DX12 is not supported on a hardware level.

Because of Uni I cannot be bothered to waste time arguing but I really think you should stop being so biased. I now own both Nvidia and AMD - I can speak from both sides of the trenches. Both cards are good, both cards work. Both have similar feature sets. The 390 has double the VRAM. The 970 uses 80W less (assuming 100% load 24/7 that means 5-10$ yearly - an average AC pulls 1000-2000W whereas an average PC pulls 500W under MAX load).

So the answer to Nvidia GPU's running a major title significantly better than stronger AMD GPU's is, that's the way it always is? Think about that statement.

So the answer to Nvidia GPU's running a major title significantly better than stronger AMD GPU's is, that's the way it always is? Think about that statement.

And Tomb Raider or Battlefront aren't major titles? I'm currently pissed my 860M can't run Tress FX as my 280 is approaching the end of it's lifespan. It's the same for both teams.

The grass on the other side is always greener (pun intended)

And Tomb Raider or Battlefront aren't major titles? I'm currently pissed my 860M can't run Tress FX as my 280 is approaching the end of it's lifespan. It's the same for both teams.

The grass on the other side is always greener (pun intended)

The difference is just about every game I play is a gameworks game. Never felt left out until Fallout. So I'm standing on the grass, not looking over the fence.

It's been under 35% load up until now - with a 970 you push the load to 75% - that MIGHT set it off

come on there are WAY WAY worse PSU's out there this one while not being the best there is certainly will do the job on a machine equipped with a GTX 970 and an i5-4440...EASILY.

i've used way worse PSU in the past with much more demanding parts i used a cooler master extreme 2 this is super ubber duper cheap i used it for OVER 5 YEARS without issues it ran Q6600, HD5870, HD7950, FX-8320, GTX 780 overclocked name it and it never had any issues...his PSU is ABSOLUTELY fine for a PC with 970 and i5-4440...ALL DAY LONG, EASILY...now get lost son.

I read there's no SLI profile for Fallout 4 too.

Give it one or 2 beta driver for performance fix, i doubt Crimson driver will fix it since it is HWQL which mean they submitted the driver to M$ couple of months before.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

come on there are WAY WAY worse PSU's out there this one while not being the best there is certainly will do the job on a machine equipped with a GTX 970 and an i5-4440...EASILY.
i've used way worse PSU in the past with much more demanding parts i used a cooler master extreme 2 this is super ubber duper cheap i used it for OVER 5 YEARS without issues it ran Q6600, HD5870, HD7950, FX-8320, GTX 780 overclocked name it and it never had any issues...his PSU is ABSOLUTELY fine for a PC with 970 and i5-4440...ALL DAY LONG, EASILY...now get lost son.

I will quote another user here - "Cheap PSUs are like gambling - the more you do it the higher the chance of sudden death"

The difference is just about every game I play is a gameworks game. Never felt left out until Fallout. So I'm standing on the grass, not looking over the fence.

What about Deus Ex? are you planning on playing that?

I read there's no SLI profile for Fallout 4 too.

Give it one or 2 beta driver for performance fix, i doubt Crimson driver will fix it since it is HWQL which mean they submitted the driver to M$ couple of months before.

Huh? Appears I was wrong about SLI working. It works but not through drivers so that doesn't count. So the race is on to see which company supports multi GPUs first.

What about Deus Ex? are you planning on playing that?

Don't know yet, way too salty to even think about it. Ready to buy a 970 and play Mechwarrior until they turn off the servers.

So the race is on to see which company supports multi GPUs first.

i think I KNOW... ;)

I will quote another user here - "Cheap PSUs are like gambling - the more you do it the higher the chance of sudden death"

i'm very sorry, but i DO NOT consider running a 350-360W machine off of a 500W modern day powersupply to be any kind of a ''gambling'' what so ever personaly...this is way within the safe range of operation for this PSU as i said so long as it's not a faulty unit nothing wrong will happen. (and you can buy an EVGA platinum and still get a faulty unit that will brick your system)

Corsair still do quality control on these you know and while being built with less expensive parts than higher-end models they are still far from being firehasards or whatever else shit you can spit about them ;) office grade psu...come on...office grade psu are 285W and are like this one:

AIS-102948655_vmain01_at_mn_9730713.jpg

Don't know yet, way too salty to even think about it. Ready to buy a 970 and play Mechwarrior until they turn off the servers.

Really? Okay, you are overreacting so badly it's not even funny... - do as you will. But when the 1060 performs better than a 980 and on par with a 390/390X don't say it was unexpected.

Huh? Appears I was wrong about SLI working. It works but not through drivers so that doesn't count. So the race is on to see which company supports multi GPUs first.

Nvidia sponsored gamed
Nvidia SLI working

Who would have thought....

Really? Okay, you are overreacting so badly it's not even funny... - do as you will. But when the 1060 performs better than a 980 and on par with a 390/390X don't say it was unexpected.

When a 970 scores over 30fps better in the cities in Fallout 4, how is wanting to jump ship overreacting? If the roles were reverse and the 390 scored those 30fps over the 970, how would you react to someone rationalizing it? I've never had any loyalty to AMD, only a limited loyalty to Sapphire. So I'm reacting to being told to check the color of my socks with AMD standing behind me. And my reaction isn't one of approval of the behavior.

When a 970 scores over 30fps better in the cities in Fallout 4, how is wanting to jump ship overreacting? If the roles were reverse and the 390 scored those 30fps over the 970, how would you react to someone rationalizing it? I've never had any loyalty to AMD, only a limited loyalty to Sapphire. So I'm reacting to being told to check the color of my socks with AMD standing behind me. And my reaction isn't one of approval of the behavior.

I'm saying what everyone else says when I point out that the EXACT SAME THING happens in Battlefront but vice versa - "wait for drivers".

I'm saying what everyone else says when I point out that the EXACT SAME THING happens in Battlefront but vice versa - "wait for drivers".

And my point is we shouldn't have to. At the very least letting us know the problem is being addressed isn't too much to ask. And when game like Witcher still have issues the faith in the driver helping is tough to nurture.