R9 390 Fallout 4 Optimization

Matt_Twinkletoes

So watching benchmarks on fallout 4 with the R9 390 was really a kick in the nuts to see on the card I plan on getting but is it possible these issues will be fixed through drivers and updates from fallout 4? Cause this might make me get a 970 even though it's a little worse then the 390 but I won't get frameddrops on it like they do with a 390

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

So watching benchmarks on fallout 4 with the R9 390 was really a kick in the nuts to see on the card I plan on getting but is it possible these issues will be fixed through drivers and updates from fallout 4? Cause this might make me get a 970 even though it's a little worse then the 390 but I won't get frameddrops on it like they do with a 390

surely AMD will fix it in a driver update in the future, how long will it take is a good question though...nvidia driver released 1 day before the game released as it's always the case, AMD always take longer and it's like that for pretty much every new game that launch...so this is something to consider as well.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-358-91-whql-driver-released

Also AMD DX11  drivers are pretty harsh on the CPU side of things and seeing you only have an i5-4440 you might be better off with an nvidia GPU.

Also your PSU is not enough for a 390...it'll run but the CX500 is super cheap PSU and the wattage is on the low side for a 300W card like the 390.

i would say personaly unless you have plans of trowing in an i7-4790 and a 650W Gold rated PSU fairly soon, you would probably be better of with the GTX 970...

-any plans on running SLI/crossfire down the road or

-any plans on buying a variable refresh rate monitor soon? (freesync/gsync)

-any plans plan on moving to 1440p or surround 1080p?

If you answered yes to any of these 3 questions, then the 390...hands down...if you answered no to all 3 of them, then the 970 will most likely suit you better with the hardware that you have right now.

You will be loosing a few FPS in some games here and there, but they perform close enough and the 970 has full support for a lot of cool features noteably Gameworks (GOD RAYS FOR MILES IN FALLOUT 4...for miles man.) PhysX, Gamestream, Shadowplay etc. and the nvidia card has much more CPU efficient DX11 drivers and consume less energy therefore would be a better fit for your little budget system you got going on ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

they'll fix it. they also do. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

surely AMD will fix it in a driver update in the future, how long will it take is a good question though...nvidia driver released 1 day before the game released as it's always the case, AMD always take longer and it's like that for pretty much every new game that launch...so this is something to consider as well.

Also AMD DX11 drivers are pretty harsh on the CPU side of things and seeing you only have an i5-4440 you might be better off with an nvidia GPU.

Also your PSU is not enough for a 390...it'll run but the CX500 is super cheap PSU and the wattage is on the low side for a 300W card like the 390.

i would say personaly unless you have plans of trowing in an i7-4790 and a 650W Gold rated PSU fairly soon, you would probably be better of with the GTX 970...any plans on running SLI/crossfire down the road or buying a variable refresh rate monitor soon? (freesync/gsync)

plan on moving to 1440p or surround?

I will upgrade my psu

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

This is part of the reason I swapped from AMD to Nvidia (290x's to 980ti's) The driver support just makes it for me. We have had 2 Fallout 4 drivers so far and AMD hasn't had one.

Its seriously something to consider when going down the AMD route (Drivers take awhile and are often buggy)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I will upgrade my psu

you would not need to if you get the 970.

Quote from previously edited post:

If you answered yes to any of these 3 questions, then the 390...hands down...if you answered no to all 3 of them, then the 970 will most likely suit you better with the hardware that you have right now.

You will be loosing a few FPS in some games here and there, but they perform close enough and the 970 has full support for a lot of cool features noteably Gameworks (GOD RAYS FOR MILES IN FALLOUT 4...for miles man.) PhysX, Gamestream, Shadowplay etc. and the nvidia card has much more CPU efficient DX11 drivers and consume less energy therefore would be a better fit for your little budget system you got going on ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Don't worry. AMD driver for this game is not out yet. You can see how AMD performs in every other AAA game once they get their drivers out, even in gameworks titles. Every AAA game is followed by a driver with game specific profiling for optimization. And then the devs patch the game too for bugs and performance improvements.

390 is a good performer, and from 2016 onwards with Vulkan/DX12 games it will only get further ahead of the 970. It's a good bet not only now in current games but also if you want a GPU for more than the next few months. Plus the windows 10 AMD drivers are less buggy than Nvidia.

Yeah I have untill Christmas to decide so hopefully they will fix the fallout 4 drivers so I can decide then. I mean I don't really mind waiting a couple extra days for a driver update with a new game. Also I might also get the R9 390x instead.

I won't do any of the three things you listed but I want the 970 to last and like that one guy said the 390 will pull ahead of the 970 with dx12. If the 970 will last me let me know, here are games I play to give you an idea: GTA 5 ARMA 2 and 3 Fallout 4 Black Ops 3 Battlefront DayZ Standalone and CS:GO. Hopefully that will give you an idea of the type of games I play and if the 970 will last me more then a few months.

I won't do any of the three things you listed but I want the 970 to last and like that one guy said the 390 will pull ahead of the 970 with dx12. If the 970 will last me let me know, here are games I play to give you an idea: GTA 5 ARMA 2 and 3 Fallout 4 Black Ops 3 Battlefront DayZ Standalone and CS:GO. Hopefully that will give you an idea of the type of games I play and if the 970 will last me more then a few months.

the GTX 970 will remain a great card for the next couple years if you stick to 1080p gaming...the 390 is also good.

We can't say for sure if the AMD will be better than nvidia in DX12 since nvidia has not worked on DX12 ready drivers yet...so all we seen so far are cards trown in the ring with no good compatible driver sets for them running early developpement unfinished piece of softwares...if you think this is a good indicator of what is upcoming for DX12 then that's alright, for me personaly i will consider DX12 performance to be sorted out once a few DX12 based games will have come out and nvidia will have a couple DX12 gameready drivers under the belt...THEN i think we will be able to judge how well nvidia cards react in a low  CPU overhead environment. So far they tested two early piece of software with non DX12 ready drivers and said: here AMD react better they gaing a few frames and nvidia is not...which is a bit expected since AMD has been working on mantle drivers for quite some time already and their DX11 drivers are certainly a limitation for the cards right now since they see that performance increase in DX12...now what will happen when nvidia will have a DX12 optimised driver for an actual game to be released under DX12 remain to be seen but IMHO they will also get a nice boost once they start optimising the code for DX12.

Only time will tell..it's a wierd time to buy a new GPU to be honest...AMD might not be here at the same time next year...nvidia could crap out and remain to this level of performance under DX12 too this is also possible...we don't know it's too early to tell.

All i can say is that with the CPU and powersupply that you have in your rig right now, if you don't want to upgrade those i honestly think the 970 will serve you better...well, at least as well since both cards perform very similar in the games you've mentionned.

Also AMD DX11  drivers are pretty harsh on the CPU side of things and seeing you only have an i5-4440 you might be better off with an nvidia GPU.

i would say personaly unless you have plans of trowing in an i7-4790 and a 650W Gold rated PSU fairly soon, you would probably be better of with the GTX 970...

the next huge AMD driver is within 2 weeks (the huge november patch where they gonna swap over to Crimson drivers)...

i bet the optimizations are baked into that one to save costs of releasing many drivers right after one another

Also, 970 doesnt have compute for shit... so yeah, that gonna hurt it under DX12 games.

I'm not able to crossfire, but the worst dip I've seen so far in Fallout 4 with my 390 is 55fps. Most of the time it's only at 1080MHz when it's set at 1100MHz so for the most part it's rarely at full load. My temps are in the low 60c. I am running an overclocked 4690k at 4.6GHz though, so that helps.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I honestly wouldn't expect any GPU you buy now to last, not when both AMD and Nvidia are dropping from 28 nm to 14 nm in 2016. Look at how badly the 40 nm GTX 580 has aged after the drop to 28 nm, that was the 980 Ti equivalent of the Fermi era. The difference was so big Nvidia was able to release a planned 70 series card of the next generation as the GTX 680 and call it the flagship. The 680 was supposed to be the 670 Ti initially.

http://www.techpowerup.com/162901/did-nvidia-originally-intend-to-call-gtx-680-as-gtx-670-ti.html

Since GTA V, Arma III, and Fallout 4 are all pretty cpu bound at 1080p, I might lean Nvidia in your shoes. The 390 is an overall better card than the 970, but in cpu heavy games it seems like Nvidia has the edge at 1080p. GTA V and FO4 are both better on Nvidia, probably due to being CPU bound thanks to the DX11 overhead in AMD's drivers. But Battlefront flips the script on FO4 and is significantly better on a 390 than a 970, while it's the exact opposite in FO4. I don't know which is better in Black Ops III, though I'd expect the 390 to perform better since COD games are never known to be that cpu heavy.

Most games are gpu bound though and I expect the R9 390 to be the better DX12 card by a lot thanks to better async compute and much better optimized drivers (AMD seems to be betting big on DX12), so it'll likely be the better card in cpu bound DX12 games too. You just have to wonder if DX12 is going to be the dominant API of the Christmas 2016 games, it hasn't shown up at all in the Christmas 2015 season.

When I say last, I mean don't expect your gpu to be badass in 3-4 years, as they're both 1-2 year old designs. No such thing as future proofing in gpus, especially right now with a huge process shrink coming within a year.

We can't say for sure if the AMD will be better than nvidia in DX12 since nvidia has not worked on DX12 ready drivers yet...so all we seen so far are cards trown in the ring with no good compatible driver sets for them running early developpement unfinished piece of softwares...if you think this is a good indicator of what is upcoming for DX12 then that's alright, for me personaly i will consider DX12 performance to be sorted out once a few DX12 based games will have come out and nvidia will have a couple DX12 gameready drivers under the belt...THEN i think we will be able to judge how well nvidia cards react in a low CPU overhead environment. So far they tested two early piece of software with non DX12 ready drivers and said: here AMD react better they gaing a few frames and nvidia is not...which is a bit expected since AMD has been working on mantle drivers for quite some time already and their DX11 drivers are certainly a limitation for the cards right now since they see that performance increase in DX12...now what will happen when nvidia will have a DX12 optimised driver for an actual game to be released under DX12 remain to be seen but IMHO they will also get a nice boost once they start optimising the code for DX12.

NVIDIA has had DX12 WHQL drivers for months.

Back in may they were talking about their heavy involvement

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/05/15/dx-12-game-ready-drivers/

With DX12 / Vulkan there will be less game specific optimization than DX11. Because a lot of the last Gen driver functionality has been moved into the application level for the game devs to tune.

Only time will tell..it's a wierd time to buy a new GPU to be honest...AMD might not be here at the same time next year...

If AMD dies it will be years later.

Nothing in Fallout 4 is graphically intense. They overbloated the specs. The Witcher 3 looks FAR, FAR better overall. And is a better game overall simply because of the GUI and interface. It also lets me use my controller and F4 has microstutter when using a controller. Freaking sucks... oh well.

Nothing in Fallout 4 is graphically intense. They overbloated the specs. The Witcher 3 looks FAR, FAR better overall. And is a better game overall simply because of the GUI and interface. It also lets me use my controller and F4 has microstutter when using a controller. Freaking sucks... oh well.

FALLOUT4.1_zpsk1ogo5l7.jpg

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I got rid of my dog by accident and now I'm using that robot, lol. But he has lasers. Which guy is more help, any idea?

the GTX 970 will remain a great card for the next couple years if you stick to 1080p gaming...the 390 is also good.

We can't say for sure if the AMD will be better than nvidia in DX12 since nvidia has not worked on DX12 ready drivers yet...so all we seen so far are cards trown in the ring with no good compatible driver sets for them running early developpement unfinished piece of softwares...if you think this is a good indicator of what is upcoming for DX12 then that's alright, for me personaly i will consider DX12 performance to be sorted out once a few DX12 based games will have come out and nvidia will have a couple DX12 gameready drivers under the belt...THEN i think we will be able to judge how well nvidia cards react in a low CPU overhead environment. So far they tested two early piece of software with non DX12 ready drivers and said: here AMD react better they gaing a few frames and nvidia is not...which is a bit expected since AMD has been working on mantle drivers for quite some time already and their DX11 drivers are certainly a limitation for the cards right now since they see that performance increase in DX12...now what will happen when nvidia will have a DX12 optimised driver for an actual game to be released under DX12 remain to be seen but IMHO they will also get a nice boost once they start optimising the code for DX12.

Only time will tell..it's a wierd time to buy a new GPU to be honest...AMD might not be here at the same time next year...nvidia could crap out and remain to this level of performance under DX12 too this is also possible...we don't know it's too early to tell.

All i can say is that with the CPU and powersupply that you have in your rig right now, if you don't want to upgrade those i honestly think the 970 will serve you better...well, at least as well since both cards perform very similar in the games you've mentionned.

what is wrong with the i5 4440? Because I'm not going to upgrade it cause I don't think I need to. So is what you're saying is it is a bad idea to get the 390 with a i5 4440?

whata wrong with the i5 4440?

Nothing - don't listen to him - he's been proven time and time again to be talking out of his ass.

If you go with a 970 OR a 390 you will need a new PSU in BOTH cases. The Corsair CX are low quality and are NOT intended for high end systems. Hence why they are sold as "basic system PSUs"

A 970 uses 80W less than a 390 under LOAD.
At idle both will use very little and after 1 year of active gaming you'll have saved enough money to buy a coke. congratulations - you lost 5% power for a diet coke. Hope it was worth /s

Drivers for AMD are more than fine. Currently I am using an 860M (750 Ti) and I have had more crashes for 2 days than for 5 years with AMD. But laptops are a different story.

Nvidia has had over 2 months to work on DX12 drivers and they have ONLY fixed their issues on GM200 aka 980 Ti and Titan X - the rest of the Maxwell line-up will be forgotten by Nvidia as soon as DX12 and Pascal become a thing - aka - within a year. Just how it was with Kepler when Maxwell came out - a Titan (original) performed the same as a 960 in Witcher 3.

AMD + i5 is NOT going to be bottlenecked AT ALL - trust me on that.

Sapphire Nitro has a neat OC from the factory - thus 10W more draw. Hooray.power_0.pngpower.png

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Nothing - don't listen to him - he's been proven time and time again to be talking out of his ass.

If you go with a 970 OR a 390 you will need a new PSU in BOTH cases. The Corsair CX are low quality and are NOT intended for high end systems. Hence why they are sold as "basic system PSUs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI

At idle both will use very little and after 1 year of active gaming you'll have saved enough money to buy a coke. congratulations - you lost 5% power for a diet coke. Hope it was worth /s

Drivers for AMD are more than fine. Currently I am using an 860M (750 Ti) and I have had more crashes for 2 days than for 5 years with AMD. But laptops are a different story.

Nvidia has had over 2 months to work on DX12 drivers and they have ONLY fixed their issues on GM200 aka 980 Ti and Titan X - the rest of the Maxwell line-up will be forgotten by Nvidia as soon as DX12 and Pascal become a thing - aka - within a year. Just how it was with Kepler when Maxwell came out - a Titan (original) performed the same as a 960 in Witcher 3.

So I'll be good with a i5 4440 and r9 390/x? Also what size psu do I get and can you send me some recommendations for a 650w-750w psu? If that's what I need

So I'll be good with a i5 4440 and r9 390/x?

Yes, you're good to go in that department.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

This is part of the reason I swapped from AMD to Nvidia (290x's to 980ti's) The driver support just makes it for me. We have had 2 Fallout 4 drivers so far and AMD hasn't had one.

Its seriously something to consider when going down the AMD route (Drivers take awhile and are often buggy)

AMD are at least working on new drivers though :P Let's hope they come soon.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

So I'll be good with a i5 4440 and r9 390/x? Also what size psu do I get and can you send me some recommendations for a 650w-750w psu? If that's what I need

A GOOD 550W is more than enough for a OCed 390. Say the XFX TS Gold or Antec High Current Gamer or SeaSonic S12G/G-series

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

A GOOD 550W is more than enough for a OCed 390. Say the XFX TS Gold or Antec High Current Gamer or SeaSonic S12G/G-series

in going to get this one https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12g650 good?

would the 390x be worth the extra 70 dollars?

what is wrong with the i5 4440? Because I'm not going to upgrade it cause I don't think I need to. So is what you're saying is it is a bad idea to get the 390 with a i5 4440?

LOL don't worry. I5 4440 is a top CPU for gaming.