New build, questions about motherboard and CPU. AMD or Intel?

So, at first, I wanted to build an AMD workstation/rig. But, I've decided to open up my budget a little more.

A little bit about what I use my computer for; video editing, gaming, work/business files and data, browsing the web, and music

Another question arose on the Intel side; Should I go with 1155 or 2011?

For reference on how far behind I am with technology, I'm currently running on 775 (Core2Duo) w/ 4GB of DDR2 memory.

Motherboard manufacturers out there have gotten better.I currently use a socket 775 board by ASUS (P5N-Deluxe). I know MSI makes great boards as well. Which would be better?

Lastly, I'd like to get a motherboard/cpu combination that allows for upgrades in the future, such as more memory or overclocking.

wait for haswell if you cant go 2011 because ivy bride-e is coming so I would get a 3820

For gaming, and low-threaded work, I would suggest an Intel CPU. 1155 is a much better value that 2011, so I would go with that. Chances are you just don't need the horses fro the 2011. As for AMD, I would just go with an i7 for performance, its just better than anything AMD has to offer right now. That's not to say that an FX 8350 isn't good, but an i7 will do better in more senarios.

As for the Motherboard, its pretty open, but a middle-to-high end ASUS board will treat you well.

The i7 will only support up to 32GB or RAM, but you won't need more than that unless you are doing some hardcore rendering/video editing. In which case you should consider a 2011 chip.

If you can wait, then I'd wait to see what Haswell has to offer. For future-proofing, I'd definitely go AMD, since you can just buy a new AM3+ CPU later on down the lie when one comes out, as well as for if you KNOW that you'll be using all of the cores quite often. Look around when you're buying your components, as you can get items for INSANELY low prices, such as an i7 3770K for only $10 more than the normal price of the 3570K. In my eyes, ASUS is still top dog when it comes to mobos, but there are other great brands out there, take ASRock for example. They have amazing features for low prices.

AMD has the cheaper 8 core..... I've never seen an intel 8 core...

We don't make mistakes, we make happy accidents. ~ Bob Ross

With a hammer everything fits! ~ Quintin B

Add me on IM+ DeV_FGBA

Okay, so you guys have helped me narrow it down to either an i7 on 1155 or AMD's FX8320/FX8350

I love the recommendations for ASUS.

But their cheaper 8-Core only does so well against Intel's quad-core for $10 more, and both are fantastic in certain situations.

I'd recommend an ASUS saber tooth Z77 and a 3770k. The Z77 chipset is very good, the 3770k is very overclockable, plus hyperthreading man. But if you can wait a few months atleast, just wait for Haswell.

I'd recommend an ASUS saber tooth Z77 and a 3770k. The Z77 chipset is very good' date=' the 3770k is very overclockable, plus hyperthreading man. But if you can wait a few months atleast, just wait for Haswell.[/quote']

The Sabertooth is too overpriced when you're paying a hefty amount for the shield and the aesthetics, while you can go for something from them that has more features for the same amount or less.

yeah lga 1155 is dead

LGA2011 is also dead in the sense that we have already seen what its upgrade path will offer, Ivy Bridge - E will offer the same 10-15% boost over Sandy bridge - E that Ivy Bridge had over Sandy Bridge on 1155. Its all but been officially confirmed that Socket R3 will replace LGA2011 (Socket R). Haswell will probably become available around July 2013 according to the current information, if your not willing to to wait for the release of that LGA1155 with 3770K is probably the best option for you, but calling LGA1155 Dead and saying that LGA2011 isn't is just incorrect.

If you are wanting a workstation, I would wait for Ivy Bridge-E to come out

For Intel I would recommend 1155 with a 3770k if you need the hyperthreading 3570k if you don't. I don't know anything about AMD. For a motherboard I would get an Intel board because of Intels qaulity and long term support. I would not wait for future generation processors it could still be a while and ivy bridge would still be good. You could always sell you old stuff (as in the ivy bridge) if a next generation does come out soon.

When exactly is Haswell expected to hit? Because from past releases by Intel, it takes months for a chip to come out, and even longer for prices to become reasonable.

When exactly is Haswell expected to hit? Because from past releases by Intel, it takes months for a chip to come out, and even longer for prices to become reasonable.

In the summer this year, around that time at least.

MEH

I used the 8120 for half a year and now a week ago i got a 3570k.

Trust me, you want to go for either SB or IB.

Dont get me wrong, AMD is good for its price, BUT if you got the budget - go for intel for sure.

1155 is doing just fine atm and even tho Intel is pushing out Haswell in march/april or w/e it shouldnt matter.

Go for 3570k or 3770k and overclock it. It will chew through anything you throw at it!

If you are sure that the applications you use will use the additional 2 cores, and you need that extra horsepower, go for the LGA 2011, with a 3930k and at least 16gb of ram. Otherwise the 3770k would be great for minor video editing.

Intel have an 8 core processor its called the E5 its a workstation/server CPU

If you can wait, then I'd wait to see what Haswell has to offer. For future-proofing, I'd definitely go AMD, since you can just buy a new AM3+ CPU later on down the lie when one comes out, as well as for if you KNOW that you'll be using all of the cores quite often. Look around when you're buying your components, as you can get items for INSANELY low prices, such as an i7 3770K for only $10 more than the normal price of the 3570K. In my eyes, ASUS is still top dog when it comes to mobos, but there are other great brands out there, take ASRock for example. They have amazing features for low prices.
Correct, but it wouldn't hurt having someone you know buy it and have them get it to you somehow if they are ever in the states, or they can get it themselves if they're ever in burgerland.

I'd recommend an ASUS saber tooth Z77 and a 3770k. The Z77 chipset is very good' date=' the 3770k is very overclockable, plus hyperthreading man[/quote']

This is what I have, works a charm.

Never personally had an AMD processor so i can't say much about them but Intel has never disappointed me.

• Sabertooth Z77
  • Intel i7 3770k
  • EVGA FTW GTX 670
  • 16 GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM
  • 1TB WD Black HDD
  • 250gb Intel 520 Series SSD
  • Corsair AX750 PSU

Intel LGA 1155 with a Z77 Board + 3570K or a 3770K depending on your needs. I'd go with a P8Z77

Thanks for the info. So, what if I were to put a budget about $1000 (before liquid cooling and such) just bare components from stock.