First Fallout 4 performance results

SteveGrabowski0

Place your bets now, how long will it take for AMD to fix their drivers, because they should NOT be losing in a 390 vs 970 matchup.

Hell, you could start a drinking game out of it. Every new game release, follow these rules for AMD cards: 

Gameworks: 1 sip

PhysX: 1 sip

Stuttering: 4 sips

Devs complain: 2 sips

AMD complains: 3 sips

Nvidia denies allegations: 2 sips

Artifacting: 2 sips

Something happens called _____-gate: 5 sips

AMD takes over 1 month to fix: 3 sips

I don't want to hate on AMD, but at launch, it almost always seems like Nvidia has better drivers, sometimes even on gaming evolved titles. Although a lot of it is due to Nvidia's actions, that's no excuse to launch at a disadvantage, nearly every time. I know someone'll point out exceptions, but I remember so many launches favoring Nvidia at launch: Project Cars, GTA V, The Witcher III. AMD needs to step up their launch drivers before I'll consider them for my next card.

Not really sure if you're trolling or not. Witcher 3 and Project CARS are GameWorks games so it would be strange if Nvidia didn't have drivers on day 1. Not sure what you mean by AMD not having an excuse. Nvidia having more than 3 times as much resources as AMD is definitely an "excuse" to have better launch day performance. People don't buy AMD cards, but expect AMD to pull out money from their ass.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

IXV0tE1.png

Sauce: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Fallout-4-Spiel-18293/Specials/Test-Benchmark-vor-Release-1177284/

Looks like Gimpworks is doing its work again. GTX770 performing better than R9 290 and 970 outperforming Fury, hahaha ... no.

There aren't any AMD drivers for it yet. There is for nvidia. Nothing to do with gameworks. I'm absolutely fucking tired of this anti competitive conspiracy bullshit.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Random interjection.

And people thought the Console's UNIFIED memory would solve bad PC ports. (Not thinking in regards to Fallout, just in general)

It made things worse.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not really sure if you're trolling or not. Witcher 3 and Project CARS are GameWorks games so it would be strange if Nvidia didn't have drivers on day 1. Not sure what you mean by AMD not having an excuse. Nvidia having more than 3 times as much resources as AMD is definitely an "excuse" to have better launch day performance. People don't buy AMD cards, but expect AMD to pull out money from their ass.

I'm (mostly) serious, I am being a bit harsh though. Those examples are very Nvidia biased, but that's not the point. My point is that as a consumer, I'm going to buy what works the best. Although it's interesting to discuss all the fine points of why Nvidia keeps beating AMD at launch, my final concern is going to be functionality and support, provided price/performance is within an acceptable margin. AMD is at a disadvantage, but as a company, it is their duty to provide high quality, competitive, and consistent launch drivers. I'm not trying to hate on AMD, but instead point out that their poor launch support for many games (gameworks games included) is not excusable. This isn't fair, of course, but life isn't fair, and I'm not going to be basing my purchasing decisions off the concept of fairness.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I really .. REALLY ..wish game dev's stopped designing games for console first then porting to PC.

They need to design and create for PC, then dumb it down to console, like back in the day.

The majority of games coming out for PC, are ports, and the majority of them have performance and issues caused by the fact they were designed for consoles.

Now don't get me wrong, it looks like this game performs good, but damn, I've seen max settings for Fallout 4, and they suck compared to what they could have been done.

Still, this is but more proof that you should only buy a console if ur after specific exclusive games, because u can build a budget mini PC that can do what a console can do ..better ..and more.

The thing is, the console have much less computing power than a PC. You don't have to be conservative on the PC port.

Microsoft and sony are probably also pulling their weight on game studios. 

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Openworld games are always more taxing and less graphical since they have SO much going on

Witcher 3 is open world and invalidates this myth.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm (mostly) serious, I am being a bit harsh though. Those examples are very Nvidia biased, but that's not the point. My point is that as a consumer, I'm going to buy what works the best. Although it's interesting to discuss all the fine points of why Nvidia keeps beating AMD at launch, my final concern is going to be functionality and support, provided price/performance is within an acceptable margin. AMD is at a disadvantage, but as a company, it is their duty to provide high quality, competitive, and consistent launch drivers. I'm not trying to hate on AMD, but instead point out that their poor launch support for many games (gameworks games included) is not excusable. This isn't fair, of course, but life isn't fair, and I'm not going to be basing my purchasing decisions off the concept of fairness.

Bad launch day performance is common on both sides so I'm not even sure what you're getting at there. Who the hell bases their purchase on day 1 performance? It's fine if you don't want to base your purchase on the concept of fairness, but don't go berating the person (or corporation) for not having the resources to do said thing that requires said resources.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

In general, plus I guess bethesda are not targeting having insane graphics few can run, and instead focus on a game everyone can play even on lower end systems

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

How is 30 fps+ not playable

that's how much I get on skyrim with ENB and it still plays smooth ;p

Gt3fqu8.gif

I just can''t believe that the 970 gets below 60 on 1080p ultra. Things are not looking good for me wanting to play it on 5760x1080

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There isn't actually a lot happening in the Witcher's 3 world all the time except in the towns. GTA5 is a much better comparison. I do see where you're coming from though. Even if it's not the next Crysis, it should at least be optimized and not be riddled with so many bugs. I'm not sure why people keep giving Bethesda a pass on this no matter how good their games are.

Bad launch day performance is common on both sides so I'm not even sure what you're getting at there. Who the hell bases their purchase on day 1 performance? It's fine if you don't want to base your purchase on the concept of fairness, but don't go berating the person (or corporation) for not having the resources to do said thing that requires said resources.

What I'm trying to say is, that I personally consider launch day performance to be a large factor in my purchasing decisions, and that AMD's poor launch performance is something I believe to be inexcusable, regardless of their disadvantage.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

YAY if I lower settings my 750Ti can run it. Soon to have 4790k :D

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Digital Foundry released the first of their analysis.

At least it's not single Threaded anymore

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

snip

270205.jpg

So:

1) AMD cards are objectively better performers except on the highest end. Everyone here always recommend 390s and 380s

2) The only exception are major titles at launch. This is (arguably) because Nvidia directly intervening with the development with Gameworks (Yes this title is not officially gameworks but devs admitted high tesselation and help from Nvidia so amounts to the same)

What you are saying is that you don't care which cards are more powerful for the money but who basically bribes developers to have better performance out of the gate.

What you're saying is that you don't care about tech, you rather pay more for the benefit of Nvidia trying to sabotage competitors to make their cards look better.

Makes no sense to me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can you play Fallout 4?

Well, I have the AMD equivalent to this i3 and 750Ti so I can deffinitely play it then. Yay!

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Witcher 3 also runs terribly though. And it's about as taxing a game as there is out right now.

Well, I have the AMD equivalent to this i3 and 750Ti so I can deffinitely play it then. Yay!

Do you even snip bro? Don't quote images please!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Witcher 3 also runs terribly though. And it's about as taxing a game as there is out right now.

1) Doesn't actually. Gameworks had the option to disable so everyone reviewing immediately disabled it.

2) It is intensive but unlike FO4, it actually is visually good looking for the performance price you pay. This was my point: you CAN have a visually good looking open world game, it's intensive on resources but it can be done.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Gt3fqu8.gif

I just can''t believe that the 970 gets below 60 on 1080p ultra. Things are not looking good for me wanting to play it on 5760x1080

What? In the OP, it gets 59fps at 1440p. I assume it'll run at 40ish fps on 5760x1080p. (Because that's what I'm doing)

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

So:

1) AMD cards are objectively better performers except on the highest end. Everyone here always recommend 390s and 380s

2) The only exception are major titles at launch. This is (arguably) because Nvidia directly intervening with the development with Gameworks (Yes this title is not officially gameworks but devs admitted high tesselation and help from Nvidia so amounts to the same)

What you are saying is that you don't care which cards are more powerful for the money but who basically bribes developers to have better performance out of the gate.

What you're saying is that you don't care about tech, you rather pay more for the benefit of Nvidia trying to sabotage competitors to make their cards look better.

Makes no sense to me.

What I'm trying to say is, that I personally consider launch day performance to be a large factor in my purchasing decisions, and that AMD's poor launch performance is something I believe to be inexcusable, regardless of their disadvantage.

Hey, major titles at launch are important. I just don't want inconsistencies in my experience. Although I wish I could of bought a 390 over my 970, I personally don't want the AMD controversy stuff to affect me. Yes, Nvidia is doing horrible and unethical things to gain a competitive edge. But it's a competitive edge.

A 390 is like, 5 to 10% faster than a 970 and has double (or 2.28x depending on how you count it) the Vram, but I prefer consistency, stability, and features over the 5 - 10% performance and also I'll be getting a new card before the 4 (or 3.5) Gb becomes a huge issue.

Hey, major titles at launch are important. I just don't want inconsistencies in my experience. Although I wish I could of bought a 390 over my 970, I personally don't want the AMD controversy stuff to affect me. Yes, Nvidia is doing horrible and unethical things to gain a competitive edge. But it's a competitive edge.

A 390 is like, 5 to 10% faster than a 970 and has double (or 2.28x depending on how you count it) the Vram, but I prefer consistency, stability, and features over the 5 - 10% performance and also I'll be getting a new card before the 4 (or 3.5) Gb becomes a huge issue.

Please stop quoting me if you are not gonna address any of my points, I don't need you to repeat the same information, I understood just fine I jus disagreed with your reasoning.

-------

Current Rig

-------