970 or R9290?

TechnoNerd

R9 290 or GTX 970?

Comparable prices on newegg right now (Below $300)

My old 280x is failing on me and my last few AMD GPUs have also.

EDIT: Sorry Idk what happened this thread got f*cked up. 

-Specs on my profile-

I need a new gpu. My last few AMD gpus have failed on me. I'm using a 280x right now that is completely dying. I doont prefer one company over the other, all I want is a high performance GPU that will not fail on me after 6 months like my last 3 AMD GPUs. 

Why haven't you tried using any of the warranties for the three AMD cards you have?

R9290- $200-$240 on newegg

GTX970- $280-$290 on newegg. 

My last 3 amd GPUs have failed on me. I'm using a dying 280x right now and I need an upgrade. I dont prefer one company over another. All I want is a high perf. gpu that lasts more than 6 months (unlike my 270, 285, and 280x)

-Specs on my profile-

Why haven't you tried using any of the warranties for the three AMD cards you have?

AMD never fufills them. they always reject it for some reason.

-Specs on my profile-

AMD never fufills them. they always reject it for some reason.

Are they AMD OEM cards or are they Sapphire/XFX/Gigabyte, etc?

The point is, don't use GPUBoss.  It's extremely unreliable and they don't actually test the cards in real world applications.  They basically compare the specs and then judge which one is better.  Which is not always the case.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Are they AMD OEM cards or are they Sapphire/XFX/Gigabyte, etc?

I've had multiple of both. AMD has never once fufilled the warrenty claim on OEMs and Sapphire cards.

-Specs on my profile-

The point is, don't use GPUBoss.  It's extremely unreliable and they don't actually test the cards in real world applications.  They basically compare the specs and then judge which one is better.  Which is not always the case.

They're Nvidia and Intel biased.  They won't ever dare say that AMD is better in a comparison.  So, don't use boss sites.

390>290x>970>290

IT says a GTX 650 is tied with a 290x

aka dont use it

Lets get to the point. What (In your opinion/experiences) should I purchase?

-Specs on my profile-

970, it's what you want so buy it. Play games. Be happy.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Lets get to the point. What (In your opinion/experiences) should I purchase?

R9 390, cheapest one I could find right now. $289 after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150729&cm_re=R9_390-_-14-150-729-_-Product

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

I've had multiple of both. AMD has never once fufilled the warrenty claim on OEMs and Sapphire cards.

Well I don't see how you have an OEM card from AMD, AMD doesn't sell OEM cards except for their FirePro series. Warranties are fulfilled by the manufacturer(Sapphire/XFX/MSI/Gigabyte), you don't register your warranty with AMD.

I cannot recommend you a GPU as it seems that something is wrong with your PC to have so many GPU's die within 6 months of usage, probably something wrong with the PSU. I would advise you fix your PC, actually register and use your warranties correctly, and then consider buying a new GPU.

Best of luck.

Well I don't see how you have an OEM card from AMD, AMD doesn't sell OEM cards except for their FirePro series. Warrantys are fulfilled by the manufacturer(Sapphire/XFX/MSI/Gigabyte), you don't register your warranty with AMD.

I cannot recommend you a GPU as it seems that something is wrong with your PC to have so many GPU's die within 6 months of usage, probably something wrong with the PSU. I would advise you fix your PC, actually register and use your warranties correctly, and then consider buying a new GPU.

Best of luck.

I picked up OEM cards from a friend, idk how he got them. Those warranties DO go through amd. The warrenties on my OTHER cards were properly registered. After I sent the card in, I got it back every single time with different excuses. I have tested my components on different platforms as they are all brand new. I have never had good luck with amd, and I think the factory OCing of the cards is what killed them (I know it shouldn't, but I know my PSU isn't the problem because I have switched and the issue persists.) 

-Specs on my profile-

I would buy the 290. I have had AMD cards since 2007. Two died, both got replaced no problem, AMD was always the cheaper performance option for me. If you want the most gaming power for your money, the 290 is the way to go. If you want a quieter and cooler card (not more performance though) get the 970.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

390>290x>970>290

Spot on.

I've had a few 290/290x's and now this 970, this is pretty accurate.

If you like Nvidia, your most likely to use Nvidia again, AMD = AMD, same again, usually brand loyalty+feature sets+performance keep people in house.

Although, at 1080p, ANY of them will suffice and be within "margin of error" bound in a lot of titles at Maxed settings.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I picked up OEM cards from a friend, idk how he got them. Those warranties DO go through amd. The warrenties on my OTHER cards were properly registered. After I sent the card in, I got it back every single time with different excuses. I have tested my components on different platforms as they are all brand new. I have never had good luck with amd, and I think the factory OCing of the cards is what killed them (I know it shouldn't, but I know my PSU isn't the problem because I have switched and the issue persists.) 

AMD OEM cards don't exist for anything other than FirePro cards, so I don't know who your "friend" is, but I'm not believing this one bit.

I'd probably blame the motherboard at this point if the PSU truly isn't the issue.

Also, since you've had such bad luck with AMD then go for the 970, don't see why you would continue to buy AMD cards if they keep dieing on you. I've had two ASUS products die on me, so I never buy ASUS branded products ever.

Spot on.

I've had a few 290/290x's and now this 970, this is pretty accurate.

If you like Nvidia, your most likely to use Nvidia again, AMD = AMD, same again, usually brand loyalty+feature sets+performance keep people in house.

Although, at 1080p, ANY of them will suffice and be within "margin of error" bound in a lot of titles at Maxed settings.

I like AMD and im biased towards them but I find my self getting good deals on Nvidia gpus..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

AMD OEM cards don't exist for anything other than FirePro cards, so I don't know who your "friend" is, but I'm not believing this one bit.

I'd probably blame the motherboard at this point if the PSU truly isn't the issue.

Also, since you've had such bad luck with AMD then go for the 970, don't see why you would continue to buy AMD cards if they keep dieing on you. I've had two ASUS products die on me, so I never buy ASUS branded products ever.

And the 8990

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

290. They've had a pretty nice performance boost through the years. It's same as/faster than the 970 now.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case