2600k, H100, extremely high overclocking temperature

ces160

Hi all,

I have recently been experimenting with some overclocking. The components I'm using are,

P8Z68 deluxe gen 3 motherboard

Corsair H100

I have been able to achieve a 8h (prime95) stable 4.0Ghz using 1.240 volts. However, my temps are extremely high for a H100, at this oc I'm getting around 68C with a maximum of 71C.

If I try to put the multiplyer up the temperatures go through the roof. At 4.3Ghz 1.30 volts the max temperature is reaching 90C within 2 seconds of starting prime95. I'm using real temGt to monitor the temperature.

Am I doing something wrong or is my H100 pump broken. The cpu fan header the pump is plunged into is reporting a 2000 rpm reading (the molex power is also plunged in).

The fans I'm using on the H100 are GTs 1850rpm undervolted to 7volts ( I have tried running them at 12 volts with on positive effects on temperature).

I would like to try to get a 4.6Ghz stable OC.

Any suggestions?

You might have dodgey thermal paste or too much, other than that you might have just gotten an i7 that isn't as overclockable as others.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Did you try reseating your cpu and apply new thermal paste? Does your case have good airflow?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Did you try reseating your cpu and apply new thermal paste? Does your case have good airflow?
I'm using a Corsair 650D case so it has very good air flow.

I'll going to try and reapply the thermal paste and get back to you.

I have re-applied the thermal compound and it has mad a slight improvement.

I am now able to get a 4.3Ghz OC at 1.300 V with the temps, better than before maxing out at 81C.

This teems a little to high, so i have reduced it down to 4.2Ghz at 1.250 V and getting a max temperature of 72C.

All the temperatures seem a little high for a CPU. I think i may have to go custom water cooling loop to push it any further.

First off,, I'm not an Intel guy,, but upping the Vcore at the Get-go seems to be the issue to me. I may be wrong though, i'm not too proud to be wrong. cause im not an intel guy,,,bla,,bla,,bla

on the AMD side of things we raise the Multiplyer first untill instability then raise the Vcore.

My 2 cents is to reset the Vcore back to stock and run the Multiplier up till you need to up the Vcore.

I'm running the H-100 and it is more than ready for the OC'd Pentium.

Those temps are very high for only a 4.3Ghz overclock. I hit 81C max at 4.7Ghz with my Hyper 212.

Try remounting the cooler. What thermal paste are you using?

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

First off,, I'm not an Intel guy,, but upping the Vcore at the Get-go seems to be the issue to me. I may be wrong though, i'm not too proud to be wrong. cause im not an intel guy,,,bla,,bla,,bla

on the AMD side of things we raise the Multiplyer first untill instability then raise the Vcore.

My 2 cents is to reset the Vcore back to stock and run the Multiplier up till you need to up the Vcore.

Is your H100 pump on max? What speed is your pump on?

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Is your H100 pump on max? What speed is your pump on?

I turned the Fan control off it the BIOS,, My Fan Monitor show the pump running at 2200rpm

1.2v is real high for a 4 ghz 2600k. Best bet is to remove the h100, clean off the thermal paste on both the cpu and the h100 plate, re-apply, set your clock to default in bios, check your temps that way to make sure it's not a problem with the CPU or the H100. If u get high temps after that you need to use your warranty if possible. If your temps are normal then start the overclocking again, but 1.2+v seems real high for just 4 gighz, you really shouldnt need that much, but i dunno what stock volt is for 2600k i only used ivy bridge as far as intel goes

HI Everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions, hears where I'm at now.

In my BIOS the CPU fan speed is around 2200 rpm ( in this case the H100 is plugged into the CPU fan header so this is the pump speed)

I have removed and cleaned the CPU and water block with Arctic Silver ArctiClean, and replaced the thermal compound. The thermal compound I'm using is Arctic Silver 5 (so pretty decent stuff).

I than set the multiplier to 42 ( for a 4.2Ghz OC) and the V Core to 1.20 V.

I than keep reducing the V Core voltage until i reached a level that was not stable.

The lowest i was able to go with the multiplier set to 42 is 1.170 V (@ 1.165 V prime95 would crash within about 2 minutes)

Despite all my efforts the temperatures still seem high, 4.2Ghz, 1.170 V the maximum temperature (using real Temp GT) is 67C.

I'm starting to think i lucked out with the silicon lottery and mine just runs hot.

You might have dodgey thermal paste or too much, other than that you might have just gotten an i7 that isn't as overclockable as others.
Overclockability has nothing to do with temperatures.

At 1.24V on my Xigmatek Dark Knight, I get around the same temperatures as him, and I can put much more than 1.3V into the chip with my cooler. He definitely needs to reseat the cooler.

HI Everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions, hears where I'm at now.

In my BIOS the CPU fan speed is around 2200 rpm ( in this case the H100 is plugged into the CPU fan header so this is the pump speed)

I have removed and cleaned the CPU and water block with Arctic Silver ArctiClean, and replaced the thermal compound. The thermal compound I'm using is Arctic Silver 5 (so pretty decent stuff).

I than set the multiplier to 42 ( for a 4.2Ghz OC) and the V Core to 1.20 V.

I than keep reducing the V Core voltage until i reached a level that was not stable.

The lowest i was able to go with the multiplier set to 42 is 1.170 V (@ 1.165 V prime95 would crash within about 2 minutes)

Despite all my efforts the temperatures still seem high, 4.2Ghz, 1.170 V the maximum temperature (using real Temp GT) is 67C.

I'm starting to think i lucked out with the silicon lottery and mine just runs hot.

67 degrees is still a pretty temperature but I dont think you can go any higher because of heat restrictions.