Activision announces a film division

At its annual BlizzCon, Activision Blizzard announced that it will launch an in-house TV and film studio to bring many of its popular franchises to screens of many sizes. 

Reuters reports the first project will be an animated TV series based on Skylanders, but Activision said Call of Duty wouldn't be far behind. The Associated Press reports that Justin Long, Ashley Tisdale, and Jonathan Banks are already on board for Skylanders Academy and that the project is aiming for 2016.

Activision already has a bit of its intellectual property heading to theaters. At BlizzCon, the company also showed off the first trailer for a film based on World of Warcraft. The movie, due in spring 2016, is happening through a partnership between the Blizzard Entertainment unit and Legendary Pictures. (Sadly, it's no longer the Sam Raimi-directed project we all got excited about six years ago.)

Gaming companies also becoming film and TV companies is no longer novel. Ubisoft is co-producing an Assassin's Creed film slated for December 2016, and Microsoft famously tried (and kinda sorta failed) with a Halo movie back in 2006. More recently, that company announced and then killed Xbox Entertainment Studios, but people associated with that division's Halo TV series have publicly said it's still coming (despite being announced way back in 2013).

In an Investor Day presentation leading up to BlizzCon today, Activision Blizzard announced Activision Blizzard Studios, a new division of the company focused on creating original films and TV shows.

The first film project announced for the studio is “a robust cinematic universe” based on the Call of Duty franchise, planned to include “a series of Call of Duty feature films as well as the possibility of television adaptations.” No timing or additional information was revealed. The first release is expected in 2018 or 2019.

Source 1: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/further-expanding-beyond-consoles-activision-announces-a-film-division/

Source 2: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/06/call-of-duty-movie-skylanders-tv-show-headline-new-activision-film-studio

I'm not really surprised that this is happening considering the size of Activision

I just hope that they actually produce something good (like making a COD:WAW movie,maybe)

I think that this is another indication that Activision is ready to get bigger by dominating console, PC, mobile and film industries 

Hmmm

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So they announced a complete eSports division, a movie division and they are buying King Digital. I honestly have no idea what they are doing. 

Yet still not updating Black Ops 3 properly so we don't have to find workarounds to get the bloody game working..

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

meh generic war film is alright, activisions stuff can fit films

The making of: Call of Duty

A story of bravery and recursion 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Yet still not updating Black Ops 3 properly so we don't have to find workarounds to get the bloody game working..

It works fine for me....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It works fine for me....

The alphabet update is a major issue, seems to mostly be a Scandinavian issue. I got told "Get a wireless card and try again". Yay for "Ambassador support" with no direct chat or no way whatsoever to contact. AAA games are a joke at this point... Indie games have better support than this

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

So they announced a complete eSports division, a movie division and they are buying King Digital. I honestly have no idea what they are doing. 

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just because you can make games, doesn't mean you can make TV shows and Movies, its a very different industry. Also most game story lines aren't very compelling and are really predictable, it is the game play that keeps drawing people in.

Just because you can make games, doesn't mean you can make TV shows and Movies, its a very different industry. Also most game story lines aren't very compelling and are really predictable, it is the game play that keeps drawing people in.

Considering Blizzard are the best CGI artists bar none in the gaming industry and are known for their strong storytelling and lore, I would expect something from the Blizz cinematics dept in the next 10 years.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It will really depend on what they focus on; most of their stories are great but seem like they lack the length I would have wanted.

They also have many more stories to revolve around considering how many companies they own and how many writers they can outsource with their money.

The CGI and other animations are going to be a bit easy since Blizzard has many CGI artists and Activision is great at getting celebrities that are willing to work (Please be Kevin Spacey!) 

I don't expect great movies from them, but they will surely draw a large audience just combining all the COD, WoW, Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo players out there 

Looks liek we'll get hit by a bunch of game inspired films all at once. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Get prepared for CANDY CRUSH SAGA... THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! Starring your Dad that plays to much Candy Crush and your Mom who doesn't know how to play Candy Crush and just makes your dad beat all the levels for her. Coming Fall 2016

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man