File transfer from PC to Mac - Not Enough Free Space...

cnelson3225

I have a mac pro connected to a company LAN then feeding a pc next to it via the second LAN port. The whole idea is to transfer a large video file as fast as possible to the Mac. I have gigabit between them, but after the transfer the PC then pops a message saying there is not enough free space on the destination drive, then below says 713gb available... Any help would work, I am not a networking master...

Aditional Info: 

-The pc is connected to the mac via Map network drive and then [\\IP\Mac Pro Media\]

-The pc-mac network is separate from company network

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

check this out

maybe u missed something

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Off the top of my head, it could be something to do with the fact that macs use a different formatting system to PCs. PCs use NTFS, but I think macs use another one. IIRC, this can cause problems when copying files one way but not the other (can't remember which way round it is)

I am pretty sure OS X measures files in GB, while Windows measures them in GiB (incorrectly labeled as GB). If that is correct, then a 1GB file on OS X is about 1.074GB on Windows.

It shouldn't be an issue unless your drive on Windows is almost full (for example you got 100GB left on Windows and tries to transfer a file that's 95GB in OS X to it).

Have you tried transferring with another program such as FTP or tried transferring the file by initiating the transfer from the Windows computer (so instead of the Mac pushing the files, it's Windows that grabs the file)?

What is the macs HDD format? FAT32? How big is the file you are trying to transfer?

If you are trying to copy a file larger then 4gb to a FAT32 HDD it will fail as FAT32 cannot store files larger the 4gb.

| Cpu: Intel i5- 3570K | Ram: Corsair DDR3 8GB | Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 

| GFX Card: AMD Sapphire HD7970 3GB GHz Edition | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R |

Google is your friend

I am pretty sure OS X measures files in GB, while Windows measures them in GiB (incorrectly labeled as GB). If that is correct, then a 1GB file on OS X is about 1.074GB on Windows.

It shouldn't be an issue unless your drive on Windows is almost full (for example you got 100GB left on Windows and tries to transfer a file that's 95GB in OS X to it).

Have you tried transferring with another program such as FTP or tried transferring the file by initiating the transfer from the Windows computer (so instead of the Mac pushing the files, it's Windows that grabs the file)?

The idea is simplicity and speed, That said that is a great idea. It is the PC that pushes to the Mac, the mac doesn't even see the PC... Space is completely not an issue, I can assure you of that. When the error comes up the whole video has been transfered and if you go to  the file on the Mac and move the file, say to the desktop, then all is well. As soon as you press cancel on the error the whole completed file gets deleted. Additionally there is try again, which does nothing...

What is the macs HDD format? FAT32? How big is the file you are trying to transfer?

If you are trying to copy a file larger then 4gb to a FAT32 HDD it will fail as FAT32 cannot store files larger than 4gb.

The destination drive in the Mac is standard OSX Journaled.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

The map network drive is just 1 or more shared folders on the host computer. It makes that shared folder into a visible drive. The maximum space that drive can hold is the same as the HDD that the shared folder on.

Given that the Video files and the shared folder is on the same HDD.... Are you copying the videos to that HDD?

When it's on that shared drive, and you can see it on that Mac, doesn't mean that it's on the Mac HDD.

When you say you transferred the data... is it to the Mac from the shared drive? or the Local HDD to the shared drive?

Sorry about these questions, but I need to clarify.

Also how much are you transferring at one time?

Another question is (from stated above) what format is your Shared drive in? If it says NTFS the mac can see the info, but you won't be able to transfer any data from it / write to it.

Shared drive needs to be in FAT32

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Thank you everyone for the support, the problem has been solved. I put windows on the Mac Pro and it works now, to a satisfactory degree anyway.