Rode NT-USB Microphone picking up keyboard clicks?

AstroBenny

I recently bought a Rode NT-USB Microphone as recommended by LTT for Skype/instrument recordings using Windows 10 but when I'm gaming I find that the microphone is picking up a lot of the noise from my keyboard even though it's a relatively quiet keyboard. The mic also picks up mouse clicks and I can even hear the ambient noise of the computer fans under my desk through the mic which even I can only just hear with my ears...

I've tried lowering the input volume in the audio control panel but as soon as I go to use an application such as skype, the input volume automatically changes to 100% in the audio control panel..

:(

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Have a pop filter or something similar?

It comes with a pop filter, which I'm already using.

When you are using the mic for gaming, are you using it to chat with online team members type of usage or are you recording a video of your gaming?

The Rode NT-USB mic is designed to be able to pick up audio up to a certain distance away.  Unlike headphone mics which are designed to be close to the audio source (i.e. the speaker's mouth).

Programs like Skype only have a basic slider for controlling the audio sensitivity of a microphone.  They don't come with the features or controls that would be found on proper audio recording equipment, such as the ability to filter out low frequencies, control gain, levels, etc.

In Skype you can disable "Automatically adjust microphone settings".

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

When you are using the mic for gaming, are you using it to chat with online team members type of usage or are you recording a video of your gaming?

chatting online.

Its not a dynamic mic, which is design to take in certain frequencies and somehow limited in terms of range in recording anything that has sound. Its normal that it picks up background noise, and I wouldn't be surprised if it picks up the sound of someone having an orgasm around 100 meters away if you have its gain set up high enough.

Even if you set the gain low enough to pick up your voice with the use of a condenser microphone, such as your microphone, hope that you set it low enough that you won't strain your voice to have it pick up your voice.

chatting online.

Get a headset mic or a mic that you can clip on around your ear or neck of your shirt.  The Rode NT is the kind of mic you would use for conference calls on Skype.

Its not a dynamic mic, which is design to take in certain frequencies and somehow limited in terms of range in recording anything that has sound. Its normal that it picks up background noise, and I wouldn't be surprised if it picks up the sound of someone having an orgasm around 100 meters away if you have its gain set up high enough.

Even if you set the gain low enough to pick up your voice with the use of a condenser microphone, such as your microphone, hope that you set it low enough that you won't strain your voice to have it pick up your voice.

Yes.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Get a headset mic or a mic that you can clip on around your ear or neck of your shirt.

That won't solve anything UNLESS the microphone is a dynamic microphone.

That won't solve anything UNLESS the microphone is a dynamic microphone.

He's only using it for chatting, so a low sensitivity mic that is supposed to be used close to the audio source (his mouth) is enough.  He can keep the audio slider low in Skype and any other VOIP software being used, and unless the keyboard and mouse clicks are especially loud, it won't be picked up.

He's only using it for chatting, so a low sensitivity mic that is supposed to be used close to the audio source (his mouth) is enough.  He can keep the audio slider low in Skype and any other VOIP software being used, and unless the keyboard and mouse clicks are especially loud, it won't be picked up.

The beauty of a dynamic microphone is that its insensitive enough that you can freely crank the gain up while still benefiting on how it works, only recording specific frequencies (which coincidentally are string instruments, percussion, wind instruments, and vocals... and it can't pick up a cherry mx blue switch key press unless its around 3 inches close to it with high enough gain, but still picks up vocals from a good 1-2 feet away). I'm pretty sure no one skypes with a microphone thats 3 feet away from their mouth.

Edit:

Just to add, here are dynamic microphones that could help OP if OP were to buy another mic:

ATR2100

Podcaster

Why is a USB mic recommended?

With a normal mic I'd say: 

Split the output, drop all frequencies via EQ except for the ones that got the best "signal to noise ratio" (^^) for your voice and then sidechain that to a gate on the main signal.

I have no idea how to make this on a PC in realtime. Maybe you can set something up with VB-Cable and Banana. If not, you might be able to somehow code something like that yourself....?

Found an insanely good deal for a VPS by Time4VPS (Lithuania). Warning: I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, if you had any bad experience, please PM me. /// Warning2 (Sorry, should have added this earlier): Very Low Disk IO

1 x 2.4GHz (E5 2630 v3), 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD cached Raid 6, 500GB Traffic => ~$17.5 (15.84€) + Tax for 2 years (Prebuild Servers)

I'm pretty sure no one skypes with a microphone thats 3 feet away from their mouth.

Oh you'd be surprised people who use Skype for more than just 1:1 personal chats.  Skype can be used to make conference calls, group chats, we even use it to do remote interviews (e.g. job applications) and video interview recordings (e.g. news and documentary).

Oh you'd be surprised people who use Skype for more than just 1:1 personal chats.  Skype can be used to make conference calls, group chats, we even use it to do remote interviews (e.g. job applications) and video interview recordings (e.g. news and documentary).

Thats a completely different story altogether, so... lets just stay on topic. Afterall OP said:

I recently bought a Rode NT-USB Microphone as recommended by LTT for Skype/instrument recordings using Windows 10 but when I'm gaming I find that the microphone is picking up a lot of the noise from my keyboard even though it's a relatively quiet keyboard. The mic also picks up mouse clicks and I can even hear the ambient noise of the computer fans under my desk through the mic which even I can only just hear with my ears...

I've tried lowering the input volume in the audio control panel but as soon as I go to use an application such as skype, the input volume automatically changes to 100% in the audio control panel..

So, lets stick to that. Notice what I've underlined?

chatting online.

This is more than enough for you to be chatting with your friends while gaming.  You don't need a dynamic mic or anything expensive/complicated.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ClearChat-Comfort-Headset-Black/dp/B000UXZQ42/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446857389&sr=8-3&keywords=headset&refinements=p_89%3ALogitech

Or a ModMic

http://www.modmic.com/

Or even these cheap ones

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TIKOO-CMP-MIC8-Clip-Computer-Microphone-Black/dp/B000WGW96K

Mics that you need to mount on a desk or on a stand, unless you are going to be having a few friends over who want to have a conference call over Skype (or any other VOIP) with other people, I wouldn't recommend for simple chatting.

Desk/stand mounted mics are better for recording instruments, as you mentioned in the topic opening comment, and recording stuff like podcasts, videos (e.g. if you are doing reviews of computer hardware).

Additionally if you don't want to get another mic, and want to keep using the Rode NT, there is a DIY fix that may help reduce the sound it picks it from the keyboard, mouse clicks and computer case noises.  From the product images I see online the Rode NT comes with a mesh screen type filter.  I guess it doesn't include a foam type or dead cat type cover for the mic?  Positioning the mic so that it is closer to the audio source you want it to pick up, and further away from unwanted audio sources, and putting a foam or dead cat style cover around it will help.

This is more than enough for you to be chatting with your friends while gaming.  You don't need a dynamic mic or anything expensive/complicated.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ClearChat-Comfort-Headset-Black/dp/B000UXZQ42/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446857389&sr=8-3&keywords=headset&refinements=p_89%3ALogitech

The condenser (correction) microphone OP has, the NT-USB, is more expensive than the ATR2100. Both of which can be used via USB, no need for a mixer.

I have a question: Do you actually read EVERYTHING?

The dynamic microphone OP has, the NT-USB, is more expensive than the ATR2100. Both of which can be used via USB, no need for a mixer.

I have a question: Do you actually read EVERYTHING?

No, I just ignore people who give bad advice.

No, I just ignore people who give bad advice.

Well, you shouldn't take any advice from yourself as well. Recommending a headset just to chat with friends just because it has a mic... wow... just, wow...

OP, if you can return the NT-USB and replace it with another mic, go for an ATR2100. Otherwise, tinker with the gain settings.

Here are examples of different types of covers/screens that you can put around the Rode NT.

Foam screens
51EGGktjZyL._SY300_.jpg

Dead cats, these I love. I use them on my on-camera mics when I am outdoors, they can drastically reduce wind and other unwanted noises.
0q3pu.jpg

Blockers, which I believe already comes with the Rode NT
windscreen_disc.jpg

I doubt a foam screen would help. Its effectively a pop filter. Neither one would cut out mouse or even key clicks. Maybe, just maybe, it could reduce background noise... but its impractical.

A deadcat cuts off wind noise as much as possible. I am doubtful if it can cut out a significant chunk of noise from keyboard clicks.

For someone who ignores

people who give bad advice.

You sure do give a bad advice.

I doubt a foam screen would help. Its effectively a pop filter. Neither one would cut out mouse or even key clicks. Maybe, just maybe, it could reduce background noise... but its impractical.

A deadcat cuts off wind noise as much as possible. I am doubtful if it can cut out a significant chunk of noise from keyboard clicks.

It won't reduce background noise.

You're perfectly right when you're assuming it won't do sh*t. Tried it, doesn't work.

The only thing that really helps is acoustic treatment for the room, Equalizers, simple Gating and especially sidechained Gating.

Also this thing is likely having a cardioid pattern, so adjusting its orientation and distance to the keyboard might change a lot, too.

Found an insanely good deal for a VPS by Time4VPS (Lithuania). Warning: I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, if you had any bad experience, please PM me. /// Warning2 (Sorry, should have added this earlier): Very Low Disk IO

1 x 2.4GHz (E5 2630 v3), 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD cached Raid 6, 500GB Traffic => ~$17.5 (15.84€) + Tax for 2 years (Prebuild Servers)

It won't reduce background noise.

You're perfectly right when you're assuming it won't do sh*t. Tried it, doesn't work.

The only thing that really helps is acoustic treatment for the room, Equalizers, simple Gating and especially sidechained Gating.

Also this thing is likely having a cardioid pattern, so adjusting its orientation and distance to the keyboard might change a lot, too.

I know the pain of working with a condenser mic in a place thats noisy to the point that soundproofing is just a waste of money (yeah, the place is THAT noisy, and my friend turned his room into essentially a recording room... filled with soundproofing foam... thats how ineffective the soundproofing is in his place) since I'm helping a friend out with his covers. There was even a time I ruined a take just because the mic picked up the sound coming from me just using his keyboard while he was singing, and his keyboard is a Cooler Master Nova Touch with those dampening rings... I was effectively 5 feet away from him singing. We listened to the track and... shit, it recorded it and was audible enough. Noise reduction in post is TIME CONSUMING (we could've just done it again instead of trying to clean that noise out) if you wanna go the distance for someone who's OCD with end-results. After getting the ATR2100, I could effectively whisper "you touch my tralala" it it'd barely be recorded with a distance of 3 ft.

I even use one for Raidcall (before) and even skype and it doesn't even record my keyboard with a good enough gain setting. The mic is effectively 1ft or less away from my keyboard.

Seriously... someone saying he "ignores people with bad advice" gives as bad, if not worse, of an advice to a topic that he arguably doesn't know what's the right answer.

After getting the ATR2100, I could effectively whisper "you touch my tralala" it it'd barely be recorded with a distance of 3 ft.

Mhm...

Either you got a proper studio for condenser recording or you'll need a freaking good audio-engineer who can unleash magic. Or a lot of time. There is little you can't do when you throw enough time at it.

What I wonder is if another mic is even an option for OP....? 

And let's be honest: Condensers are great. Amazing stuff. Given you can tame it.

@edit: My favorite Studio, btw. Would really like to own something like that myself

Mhm...

Either you got a proper studio for condenser recording or you'll need a freaking good audio-engineer who can unleash magic. Or a lot of time. There is little you can't do when you throw enough time at it.

What I wonder is if another mic is even an option for OP....? 

And let's be honest: Condensers are great. Amazing stuff. Given you can tame it.

Condenser's are great. If anything, the potential for a more faithful recording of a source due to it being just really sensitive to begin with. But if one does not want to hear the clacking of mechanical keyboard, or even a membrane keyboard, in Skype or voice-chat with preferred platforms, its really bad. I don't mind hearing keyboards from my end or the end of who I'm talking to, but I can hear people, loud and clear, when in voice chat they say "TURN YOUR MIC DOWN WHEN YOU'RE TYPING!" or something similar, or even "GET A NEW KEYBOARD" or even "YOU LIVE IN AN INTERNET CAFE OR SOMETHING?" when I come across people who don't like the sound of clicks, ticks, clacks, etc... online with strangers.

Don't even get me started with adjusting settings. My place gets noisy randomly and I end up getting complaints like "What did you say?" or something similar. Sometimes I get "Get a new mic, you <insert insults here>" when I used to use a Blue Yeti.

@edit: My favorite Studio, btw. Would really like to own something like that myself

My friend would love to own something remotely close to that. I just learned how to do some audio post-production stuff thanks to him, though I'd prefer to do the listening stuff. But oh well, even I would drool if I was in a studio like that.