AMD faces class action suit over Bulldozer missrepresentation

zMeul

If you want any semblence of decent performance you need to overclock.

No...you don't NEED to overclock. If you have a CPU that has a high clock speed, it should be fine. Something like the FX 9590 has a 4.7GHz clock speed...that would be sufficient

No...you don't NEED to overclock. If you have a CPU that has a high clock speed, it should be fine. Something like the FX 9590 has a 4.7GHz clock speed...that would be sufficient

And guess what? It already needs an expensive cooler to run without throttling, and one of the best AM3+ motherboards. BTW, that's just an overclocked and highly binned FX 8350.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Intel is already abusing their position in the market.

Removing the stock heatsink from consumer grade CPUs, keeping the price of the CPU the same, and then charging 30 bucks extra for the cooler (even though the socket mount is identical all the way back to LGA 1155)?

Putting the high-end iGPUs only on CPUs that will NEVER be used without a dedicated GPU?

How about their graphics drivers that are worse than ATI's drivers from 10 years ago? I have NEVER been able to update an Intel graphics driver without first booting to safe mode and running DDU.

Intel would be forced to licence x86 to another CPU designer, who would also get to use the AMD64 licence. Maybe IBM would want to get a foot back out of the server room? I don't see Qualcomm or Samsung going x86 and nobody else has the funds to run CPU R&D.

That's not really abuse, and you could take it to court, but I'm afraid you'd lose. Intel made a solid argument by saying enthusiasts don't need them, and it reduces Intel's costs. Frankly you get the same value you ever did. You'd get nowhere in court on that one.

Intel doesn't even put its high-end iGPUs on its desktop high-end CPUs. They go on the mobile chips (for now). And under DX 12 you have the multi adaptor option. Frankly your argument holds no water here either. Intel is presenting you an option to use it or not. The iGPU when not in use produces practically no heat at all, and the extra silicon pulls heat off the CPU cores by conduction. Even the overclockers would not win that argument.

Your system's unstable. I've never had an issue updating Intel's graphics drivers.

IBM has no interest in the consumer segment, and Qualcomm is in no position to face the desktop space. Nvidia's the only U.S. company with any interest in consumer CPUs at this point external to AMD and Intel outside phones and tablets.

Samsung being foreign would be blocked by the FTC in owning x86_64. It's a national security threat. Maybe I do sometimes come across as a pretentious prick, but that doesn't change the true strength of the arguments. Intel has competed against AMD and Nvidia fairly for years. Otellini is gone. Evaluate Kirzanich on what he has done. Evaluate Intel on what it haas done recently,

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I think you should think more about what is realistic, not just Intel. For example: budget gaming build $800 AUD - FX 6300 great CPU for gaming

it was great.3 years ago. now an i3 haswell is better than an overclocked fx 8xxx http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/page6.html

dont forget that skylake is out

Intel would be forced to licence x86 to another CPU designer, who would also get to use the AMD64 licence. Maybe IBM would want to get a foot back out of the server room? I don't see Qualcomm or Samsung going x86 and nobody else has the funds to run CPU R&D.

forced by who? intel and amd has a cross-license agreement that lets them use their inventions and patents between them.the x86 license is included in that cross-license agreement. america wont let a foreign company to buy amd.and ibm would do what exactly with the x86 license? exactly nothing because there are several other licenses and patents that a x86 computer would need. and those arent for sell or whatnot.

According to WccfTech, There was an update from AMD stating that "We believe our marketing accurately reflects the capabilities of the “Bulldozer” architecture which, when implemented in an 8 core AMD FX processor is capable of running 8 instructions concurrently.”

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-class-action-lawsuit-bulldozer-processor-core-count/#ixzz3rDK75DGC

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

• 4 weeks later...

So whats the point of this class action lawsuit?

To seek justice for people who bought Bulldozer processors?

Years after this was known?

Really?

Most likely just some guy lookin for $. 

It won't go through. The full details of the Bulldozer architecture has been known and open to the public or analysis since it's release. Too little too late, IMO. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS