CoD Black Ops III - 12 GB RAM and GTX 980Ti not enough

source: https://www.techpowerup.com/217308/black-ops-iii-12-gb-ram-and-gtx-980-ti-not-enough.html

In our first play-through of the game with its highest possible settings on our personal gaming machines - equipped with a 2560 x 1600 pixels display, Core i7 "Haswell" quad-core CPU, 12 GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card, NVIDIA's latest Black Ops III Game Ready driver 385.87, and Windows 7 64-bit to top it all off, we noticed that the game was running out of memory. Taking a peek at Task Manager revealed that in "Ultra" settings (and 2560 x 1600 resolution), the game was maxing out memory usage within our 12 GB, not counting the 1.5-2 GB used up by the OS and essential lightweight tasks (such as antivirus)

What's even more interesting is its video memory behavior. The GTX 980 Ti, with its 6 GB video memory, was developing a noticeable stutter. This stutter disappeared on the GTX TITAN X, with its 12 GB video memory, in which memory load shot up from maxed out 6 GB on the GTX 980 Ti, to 8.4 GB on the video memory. What's more, system memory usage dropped with the GTX TITAN X, down to 8.3 GB.

post-96912-0-11373700-1446747139_thumb.j

---

I'm not knowledgeable if Treyarch is working with nVidia or even if CoD: BO3 is a GameWorks title but, this could be a serious blow to AMD users, specifically to the Fury (series) owners with it's 4GB of VRAM

if you recall, the previous CoD did also used a lot of VRAM via pre-cashing; now they are jumping to the next level - 8.4GB is a lot

post-96912-0-46338700-1446747401.gif

It's almost as if they've got programming concepts from iron galaxy. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

this has to be piss poorly optimised.....CoD isnt that good looking

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

But who plays cod on pc.......

People who are too cheap to pay for Xbox Live :D

CoD AW was horribly optimized 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Not only that but look at the time chart for vram usage, this think has to be leaky as fuck.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

prepare for ac:unity level of quality. 12gb of ram and more than 4gb of vram are complete bullshit when 1) it will run just fine on a console with 8gb of ram that are shared between cpu and gpu and 2) THE DAMN THING RUNS ON ID TECH 3 (and looks the part, too).

all hail dual 390x

prepare your behind for no crossfire support

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

are they using 8 or 16k textures to get that high or what?

they are loading the texture on system ram when the gpu is full, that's why a titan x with its 12gb gets up to 8.4gb and much less system memory usage

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

attachicon.gif142g1.jpg

---

I'm not knowledgeable if Treyarch is working with nVidia or even if CoD: BO3 is a GameWorks title but, this could be a serious blow to AMD users, specifically to the Fury (series) owners with it's 4GB of VRAM

if you recall, the previous CoD did also used a lot of VRAM via pre-cashing; now they are jumping to the next level - 8.4GB is a lot

attachicon.gifmemory1.gif

Allow me to add Planetside 2 to that average RAM usage, add it in at 9K

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

People who are too cheap to pay for Xbox Live :D

CoD AW was horribly optimized 

everything since ghosts was a shit port that artificially inflated ram usage

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

And I thought that this will be a improvement for PC gamers, ohh boy. Seems like both Treyarch and Infinity Ward are dumb shits in PC optimisations, especially considering they were given 3 years and guys like sledgehammer and coping way better with PC.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Allow me to add Planetside 2 to that average RAM usage, add it in at 9K

RAM or VRAM!? cuz' I know PS2 had a very serious memory (RAM) leak - stopped playing it because of SONY ignored it; they just made the exe in x86-64 flavor  <_<

Advanced warfare wasn't terrible, at least according to the port report I have seen from LTT's channel and especially compared to shit ports like this one.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Sounds like overflow. Concerning with devs dumping everything in to the memory, there better be a reason for that.

PSN on the ps3 is free!!!

But then I'd need to buy the game for ps3 and then my pc would be jealous. 

Has a mind of it's own.

So true, but imo I think they started to suck after Black Ops 2

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Wow... They wont leave it as that thats just ridiculas!!! Wanna see some 1080p benchmarks please!!!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

And we'd want to play a current gen game on a console from 2006, why?

Because even though it will run at 20fps and be on *ridiculously* ultra-low graphics settings it’s still better optimized!!!!

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

12gb of ram and more than 4gb of vram are complete bullshit when 1) it will run just fine on a console with 8gb of ram that are shared between cpu and gpu and 2) THE DAMN THING RUNS ON ID TECH 3 (and looks the part, too).

The game is running on the IW engine. It's a heavily modified fork of the IDTech 3 engine just like Titanfall ran on a heavily modified fork of the Source engine.

And it runs fine on the consoles because the settings are bumped far down. Keep in mind that BO3 is running at 1600x900 on XB1 and 1080p on PS4 (based on the Beta.) Remember, these tests were done at 1440p on max settings.

Still, this is really shit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Advanced warfare wasn't terrible, at least according to the port report I have seen from LTT's channel and especially compared to shit ports like this one.

From a technical standpoint it's still basically pure garbage. There is a reason everyone else is developing new engines all the time. The limits of an engine are not about how good the models can get or how many lighting effects it can use, but in how efficiently it can do those things. Continuing to strap on stuff that it wasn't designed to support not only won't look nearly as good as on a modern engine, it will also kill performance for no reason. With the mountain of money they make each year they could comfortably afford to write a new engine or at least license unreal or something, hell id tech 6 is a thing now, they could license that. But no.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nice port there... there is no way that's right the game looks like a potato.