How quiet can you get the H100i?

Hey guys,

Rattling around with the idea of doing a build with the "NCase M1 " Mini ITX case. unfortunatly there simply isnt enough unicorn tears in the world to shove a custom waterloop in a case that size, so for the first time since the original Corsair H50, Ill be forced to go back to an AIO.

The MOST important thing to me when I build a computer is that its quiet, like inaudible. My 4770K SLI 980 sig rig is completely inaudible even at full load. I water cool to keep things quiet, not a single part of my rig is overclocked, tho its entirely watercooled.

So my question is, having not played with an AIO since the original H50, can you get the pump on the H100i ( not the H100i GTX ) to be completely silent? Id replace the corsair fans with noctua fans and bring them down 5v for around 400rpm. So my worry is that Ill hear a constant whine from the pump.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

Rattling around with the idea of doing a build with the "NCase M1 " Mini ITX case. unfortunatly there simply isnt enough unicorn tears in the world to shove a custom waterloop in a case that size, so for the first time since the original Corsair H50, Ill be forced to go back to an AIO.

The MOST important thing to me when I build a computer is that its quiet, like inaudible. My 4770K SLI 980 sig rig is completely inaudible even at full load. I water cool to keep things quiet, not a single part of my rig is overclocked, tho its entirely watercooled.

So my question is, having not played with an AIO since the original H50, can you get the pump on the H100i ( not the H100i GTX ) to be completely silent? Id replace the corsair fans with noctua fans and bring them down 5v for around 400rpm. So my worry is that Ill hear a constant whine from the pump.

Thanks guys!

Do you already have a h100i? Because the h100i gtx will be quieter and cheaper.

Personally, I'd recommend getting the best aio pump you can instead and not turning it down. (My x61 pump runs 100% all the time and it is literally inaudible even when I kill all of my other fans.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

if you replace the horrible stock fans and mount the radiator vertically it will be extremely silent

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if you replace the horrible stock fans and mount the radiator vertically it will be extremely silent

I think he was refering to the numerous complaints about the h100i's fairly loud pump (or rather pump having a relatively high proportion of "defective" loud pumps)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I think he was refering to the numerous complaints about the h100i's fairly loud pump (or rather pump having a relatively high proportion of "defective" loud pumps)

the pump is not loud

its just a bunch of idiots who don't know what they're doing with watercooling

there is air inside all AiOs

when that air goes through the pump it makes a ton of noise, and it doesnt stop

The water cooler needs to be tilted or mounted in a way that will accumulate the air in a dead zone rather than circulating it constantly

thats how you stop the noise

Also these is an issue with the stock fans causing the pump block to make noise for some reason

not with all H100is, but some of them

replacing the stock fans fixes this issue

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

snip

I did put "defective" in quotes for a reason.

I would still recommend the h100i gtx assuming he doesn't have it already (as it is cheaper and "supposedly" uses an updated pump design).

I also think that there is something (however minor and rare) to be said about the relatively large number of complaints on noise that clearly isn't air bubbling through (but yes I understand that air not being allowed to bubble through can cause issues with the bearings themselves and hence the "non-bubbling" noise complaints.)

Then again it is one of the if not the most common pumps out there, which while unequivocally not being representative of the best performance (because it isn't anywhere near the top in performance), does bring up the reminder that if the failure rate and complaint rates of all these products were equal, then the h100i would obviously end up the most complained about.

(AKA the fact that it has the most complaints is not necessarily helpful in calling it a systematic issue without knowing the complaint frequency compared to other aio's)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I did put "defective" in quotes for a reason.

I would still recommend the h100i gtx assuming he doesn't have it already (as it is cheaper and "supposedly" uses an updated pump design).

I also think that there is something (however minor and rare) to be said about the relatively large number of complaints on noise that clearly isn't air bubbling through (but yes I understand that air not being allowed to bubble through can cause issues with the bearings themselves and hence the "non-bubbling" noise complaints.)

Then again it is one of the if not the most common pumps out there, which while unequivocally not being representative of the best performance (because it isn't anywhere near the top in performance), does bring up the reminder that if the failure rate and complaint rates of all these products were equal, then the h100i would obviously end up the most complained about.

(AKA the fact that it has the most complaints is not necessarily helpful in calling it a systematic issue without knowing the complaint frequency compared to other aio's)

well most of the people buying them have 0 experience with liquid cooling, so i dont expect them to know what they are talking about when they say "pump noise"

second, it does not sound like bubbling

air going through the pump sound like a grindwheel

and finally, there are the most complaints because it is one of the most popular AiOs in the history of closed loop liquid cooling

more people buying = more complaints

if you look at the percentage figures, you will see its actually not bad at all

Spoiler

snip

I use an aio (and do on EVERY build I have done in the last 4 years, and will do on every one in the future) so I am very familiar with the sounds it makes (it can bubble as long as you don't let it sit long).

But yea, the rest is completely true. I haven't seen any percentage figures on that stuff, but I honestly doubt it's much different.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Could always pull the tank out and shove your own pump into the loop, but you will lose the LED pump.