Bitfenix Prodigy, tiny but powerful!

Rob

I have been building computers for a while now and it' always shocks me when someone chooses a huge case and just plans on running a couple of hard drives, a decent graphics card and a decent Processor. Now a days we have CPUs that don't run anywhere near as hot, we have GPUs with extremely good thermal solutions that also don't run as hot. We have Mini-ITX motherboards capable of anything an ATX board can achieve. So why not use all this to our advantage! Make a gaming computer just as badass as any other gaming computer just much smaller! That's a win win, I mean unless you want a giant computer... Right?

The Case is the obvious place to start when making a smaller computer so I'll go through the one I've chosen and why I chose it. The Bitfenix Prodigy! A tiny case capable of everything we need including some of the longest graphics cards currently on the market, I can't begin to explain how exited I was to find out about this case being a bit of a 'LAN Party' fan I often take my computer round to a friends house and this thing is perfect! handle shaped supports on top and bottom although made out of plastic are extremely tough. Out of all the cases I've seen this has to be one of my favourites and at £69.25 I find this very well priced!

Next we need a motherboard, I have chosen an Asus P8H77-I. This Mini-ITX motherboard has support for Intel's 2nd and 3rd generation socket 1155 chips and has support for PCI-express 3.0 16x this allows us to use a full size graphics card which we will. As well as the motherboard we'll need a processor I'm going to go with an Intel i5 3570k this processor is quad core and relatively fast which will allow us to play our games fluently and while doing other things not feel that the computer is lacking speed. The motherboard will set you back £68 and the processor will cost a further £163.94.

I don't think I really need to go into why I chose 8gb of DDR3 memory but my reason for it is that RAMs cheap now, 8gb is definitely enough to get you through pretty much anything and definitely enough to get you through any games! I chose G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X which cost around £30.

A 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive. I mean, you may need more storage space, you may not need anywhere near that much. I personally would have a solid state drive to boot from as well but I'll let you decide on that. Either way this hard drive will set you back £76.

To power this Rig I have chosen a Corsair CX500v2 Power Supply. This power supply will allow for some expansion and won't stress the power supply to an unhealthy level. These power supply's are very reliable and quite quiet so for £48.74 it's definitely a good buy.

At last, no gaming computer is complete without a graphics card! Something quiet, yet powerful. An Asus GTX 670 Direct CU ii this card performs really well and creates very little noise it's able to play the majority of games in ultra over 45FPS and has an incredible overclocking potential! This card will rob you £308.

As you've Probably guessed this isn't exactly Value oriented but it for the power you get this system isn't exactly out of place at:

£777.27

Parts:

Bitfenix Prodigy - £69.25

Asus P8H77-I Motherboard - £68

Intel i5 3570k - £163.94

G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X - £32.32

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black - £76.02

Corsair CX500v2 Power Supply - £48.74

Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670 DirectCU II Graphics Card - £309

This is my first post so sorry if it's hard to read, anyway I'm just really trying to show that size isn't everything! Hope this helps.

Robert.

Would have put one in personally but its not a necessity so I left it out of this build haha :)

Good but DIRECTCU for ft03 mini not recommended...buy a referance card

ft03 mini, don't you mean bitfenix prodigy?

I've been wanting to make a media pc in a prodigy for what seems like ever! So much customisability in such a small area. If only I had the need and money for a media pc.

Well i'll log the build and I assure you linustech will be the first to know how it goes! :)

You should get a better power supply. At least 600W if you want upgradeability.

HTPC

Cooler Master elite 120

ASUS P8H77-I

i3 3225 3.3GHz

8GB Corsair XMS 1600Mhz

120GBOCZ Vertex 3

WD RED NAS 2x3TB

500w OCZ Modstream

Hackintosh/Windows system

Bitfenix prodigy black with Lian Li PSU extender bracket

Gigabyte Z77n wifi

i7 2600k 3.4GHz

180GB intel 330 ssd (Windows)

128GB OCZ vertex 4 (OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard)

1TB WD Black (Games)

1.5TB Seagate for (Video)

EVGA 560ti 448 Ultra

OCZ Modstream 600w

apparently editing on this forum erases old posts entirely.

Not really :/ everythings slowly getting less power hungry and more efficient... :/ not like im going to sli because its only a mini-itx case.

I'm guessing since you're getting a P8H77-I that you don't plan to overclock.

well you could get the p8z77 but I'm sure a non-overclocked 3570k would be fine for gaming :) the price points between z77 and h77 where too different for what i needed it for, plus I like silence haha

I would love to build a small server as well.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I love the Prodigy! I am going to be doing a small form factor water cooling build in this soon! System looks great! Might want to drop in a SSD if you have the chance. ;)

^ everyones saying that ;) and yeah man thats a good idea :) 200mm in the front, 120mm on the roof that machine would be beast!

Looks great ! Thinking about building one of these.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

I've never really liked the prodigy, it's way too big for an m-itx case imo. It would be better if it was m-atx. BUT I will admit it looks super slick and has room for basically whatever you want, which is good.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

i would get a reference card because my xfx7870 blows all the heat down to the psu and the heat just stays there :c with a reference card that wouldnt be happening

The way this case is set out the graphics card is right next to a large vent easily cappible of extracting the excess heat :)

I would love to build a small server as well.
Go pick yourself up a 2008 HP proliant for about $500 without drives then :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently deciding on the parts for my first build. I have spent ages just thinking about a good thermal solution, It sounds like you have the the same idea as me. However, i would put a 230mm in the front (because you can) and i don't know if you wanted a cpu cooler but I am going for an Antec Kuhler H20 in push pull at the rear exhaust.

Your choice in parts is very similar to mine so that hopefully means I haven't chosen badly. I agree on the small form factor builds, I hate seeing empty space in a system, the only time a massive tower is justified is when you are water cooling and there are radiators etc. taking up all that free room.

Also what difference is there between Gigabyte's Windforce card and Asus's card? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The flex handles on the bottom are really annoying though the sliding factor. I want to remove them and put some rubberized feet on the bottom any advice before I destroy this case trying to mod it.