Halo 5 legendary ending rant (spoilers, obviously)

TopWargamer

This.

We need to talk about this.

Why on earth would Cortana ever want to light a Halo!? She knows what it does. She's always been against it. Why is she suddenly just like "Lol okay imma light this ring and kill everything because I want to spread peace. Fuck it, what could go wrong." Like, seriously this makes no sense AT ALL. 343i, why are you changing the lore just cause? Cortana has no probable cause to light a Halo. NONE AT ALL! 343i, seriously, stop fucking with the game series that I love so dearly.

b0b23754d9.jpg

TL;DR: Me getting pissing about my favorite game series.

What did you think about Halo 5's legendary ending or just the ending in general?

COMIC SANS

I know that fucking feel, literally just made Halo 3 completely irrelevant to the story..

343 right now be like

hqdefault.jpg

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I know that fucking feel, literally just made Halo 3 completely irrelevant to the story..

343 right now be like

-snip-

I swear the writers were like...

a46351052a.gif

4382834441.jpg

I've almost convinced myself that Halo 3 is the ending to the Halo franchise. Hell, I'll even extend that privilege to Halo 4, as much as I may dislike that game as well. At least it had a better ending than Halo 5.

COMIC SANS

Yeah, halo 4 was okay, but once I got to the master chief collection...... I just don't know where to go. I mean it was a bad idea from the start, but once I realized they fucked it up, I just quite halo entirely.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

Cortana was just "cured" of her rampantcy with no clear reason. She went against Chief. She went against humanity. Do you think the AI is actually functioning correctly?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Cortana was just "cured" of her rampantcy with no clear reason. She went against Chief. She went against humanity. Do you think the AI is actually functioning correctly?

And here lies the issue. 343i never properly explains this. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that the Domain corrupted Cortana.

As a side note, I want a more detailed explanation of how she found the Domain. Halo 5 just said that she was sucked into the Slipspace rupture and she eventually found the Domain. That's not good story telling... Where's the detail 343i!?

COMIC SANS

Bruh, it's the rampancy 

Bruh, it's the rampancy 

Ya but according to Halo 5 it was cured by the Domain, so...

COMIC SANS

She thinks that it is cured, though it is only getting worse. That's my theory.

But that statement is directly from the potentially corrupt AI if I'm not mistaken, Halsey however states that she is the enemy now, implying that Cortana is not acting in the way she was intended to.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

She thinks that it is cured, though it is only getting worse. That's my theory.

But that statement is directly from the potentially corrupt AI if I'm not mistaken, Halsey however states that she is the enemy now, implying that Cortana is not acting in the way she was intended to.

Touche... *Sigh* I'll give Halo 5's campaign another run through and try to make sense of it...

COMIC SANS

Inb4 the didact is inside the domain and controls Cortana to kill all lifeforms...

144Hz goodness

Inb4 the didact is inside the domain and controls Cortana to kill all lifeforms...

That's pretty much going to be the case in halo 6.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

According to some backstory out of the comics, the Didact was sucked into slipspace with Cortana (and was later killed). While they spent time together, one theory is that Cortana contracted logic plague from him (the Didact went crazy due to logic plague from the grave mind or a precursor during his slumber in the first place).

I'm not really angry about Cortana doing a 180 so much as that no major events even happen in Halo 5. The whole thing was just blue team walking around trying to find her, while Osiris followed.

Cortana in Halo 5 isn't really the Cortana we know. In Halo 4, when Didact fell into slipspace, allegedly some of Cortana was with him (remember she had multiple copies and whatnot) and in a nutshell, those fragments of Cortana touched the Domain and 'cured' her. While her rampancy is gone in a way, her personality is not all there.. she's not all there. It's obviously clear though that she's not the same, which is why she acts so differently in this game. 

Between Halo 4 and 5, Chief and Blue team found Didact on one of the Halo rings and digitised him. The sick lad is still alive though, technically speaking so I'm sure that ties into all of this somehow. 

It was pretty much like how the Pillar of Autumn found the 1st Halo ring, wouldn't be surprised if Infinity finds this ring too and hence the continuation of Halo 6. Cortana doesn't believe the Humans should have the mantle of responsibility and hence will kill them all, (with other AI assistance) to ensure it doesn't happen.. I can't really confirm though. 

I think the issue with 343's games is that they require a lot more knowledge and backstory, outside of the games itself, all of which I just obtained from Halopedia and whatnot. I think, however, that Cortana going crazy in this game was justified and made sense - it should've been assumed that after H4, Cortana as a whole was dead, regardless of whether she came back or not (if that makes sense). 

Overall though, campaign probably could've been longer to include a lot more backstory to all of this and allow things to make more sense. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

they needed to include alot of the back story that was in the comic's/novels. without that knowledge your left grasping at straws trying to figure out what is going on.

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

Cortana doesn't believe the Humans should have the mantle of responsibility and hence will kill them all, (with other AI assistance) to ensure it doesn't happen.. I can't really confirm though.

She doesn't want to kill all humans. She wants every individual to accept her reign, and is willing to dispose of those who don't.

She doesn't want to kill all humans. She wants every individual to accept her reign, and is willing to dispose of those who don't.

True true, I'm not too perfect with my Halo story, still learning a lot and will misunderstand some things. I had a decent idea as a kid in the old games as to what was going on, but with H5 and reading online, I've definitely learnt a lot more. 

Anyway, I wonder if all this means that in Halo 6, we'll be seeing all the big boys including Arby, Chief, Locke, Halsey, Infinity etc. team up to pretty much aim to 'kill' Cortana. I'd love to have a campaign where you play from the perspective of Arbiter and Locke, as well as Chief, and hopefully it's considerably longer.

I always wondered, to you and anyone else reading, what's your thoughts on the original 'Halo Teaser' at E3 2013? Many believe it wasn't a direct teaser for Halo 5 and was instead, one for Halo 6. It would make more sense and I noticed Chief's helmet is cracked in that trailer as well (although could've just been a coincidence). The Halo 2 style ending of this game just left too many questions - too many things to talk about

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

True true, I'm not too perfect with my Halo story, still learning a lot and will misunderstand some things. I had a decent idea as a kid in the old games as to what was going on, but with H5 and reading online, I've definitely learnt a lot more.

Anyway, I wonder if all this means that in Halo 6, we'll be seeing all the big boys including Arby, Chief, Locke, Halsey, Infinity etc. team up to pretty much aim to 'kill' Cortana. I'd love to have a campaign where you play from the perspective of Arbiter and Locke, as well as Chief, and hopefully it's considerably longer.

I always wondered, to you and anyone else reading, what's your thoughts on the original 'Halo Teaser' at E3 2013? Many believe it wasn't a direct teaser for Halo 5 and was instead, one for Halo 6. It would make more sense and I noticed Chief's helmet is cracked in that trailer as well (although could've just been a coincidence). The Halo 2 style ending of this game just left too many questions - too many things to talk about

I don't really tie teasers into lore. It could easily have been created before the story of 5 was finalized.

I didn't mind the ending of 2 - the Covenant was disbanded (as in the agreement between prophets and elites), and another ring was stopped from firing. There will always be some sort of cliffhanger in a good long lasting series.

Nothing is accomplished in 5, however, and few questions answered. Past games didn't have super complex stories. There was a simple narrative that was easy to follow even if it had mysterious components. 5 tries to be too complex and involve too many elements that it doesn't have time to explain. It almost feels like a bad movie adoption of a book where they concentrate on small unimportant details instead of the overall story.

For someone like me who bought an xbone just for this game, that's a huge disappointment. I read all the books and short stories, so I know what's going on in the universe, but this game doesn't add anything significant. The missions could be cut in half and provide the same content.

I don't really tie teasers into lore. It could easily have been created before the story of 5 was finalized.

I didn't mind the ending of 2 - the Covenant was disbanded (as in the agreement between prophets and elites), and another ring was stopped from firing. There will always be some sort of cliffhanger in a good long lasting series.

Nothing is accomplished in 5, however, and few questions answered. Past games didn't have super complex stories. There was a simple narrative that was easy to follow even if it had mysterious components. 5 tries to be too complex and involve too many elements that it doesn't have time to explain. It almost feels like a bad movie adoption of a book where they concentrate on small unimportant details instead of the overall story.

For someone like me who bought an xbone just for this game, that's a huge disappointment. I read all the books and short stories, so I know what's going on in the universe, but this game doesn't add anything significant. The missions could be cut in half and provide the same content.

Yeah much of what you say is true. The story would've been even more complicated for people who play the campaign but aren't really completely into the story. It just would've been a bunch of shocking emotions and wtf moments. 

On the other hand, I believe the core gameplay and multiplayer of this game is really good and probably just as good, if not better than Halo 3. Some things definitely still need improving though

Yes, it was a direct teaser, master chief was walking through the desert, desperate to find Cortana because with her death, he lost something of himself too + the guardian that rises just like they did in the game.

Also, if you looked closely in the teaser, the shadow looked like "Halo 5". The cracked visor doesn't make sense for Halo 6 since it was smashed by Locke and at the end of Halo 5 he returned "home" safely, I'm pretty sure Halsey can hook him up with some next gen armor and a new helmet aswell.

144Hz goodness

On the other hand, I believe the core gameplay and multiplayer of this game is really good and probably just as good, if not better than Halo 3. Some things definitely still need improving though

Core gameplay is fantastic. I like how the guns aren't just different versions of each other now. All I want for Christmas is an action sack playlist.

better than Halo 3.

Yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

144Hz goodness

they needed to include alot of the back story that was in the comic's/novels. without that knowledge your left grasping at straws trying to figure out what is going on.

Ya... That's probably what the issue is... Bungie was able to balance game lore and book lore well. There's no reason that 343i can't do that, especially since they have Frankie.

I would almost be okay with Halo 5's story if they explained everything a lot better, but it is what it is, and it's a steaming pile of utter disappointment.

COMIC SANS