New internet please help!

Fate

So a few weeks ago I moved houses and previously had Cincinnati Bells' 10mb/s download speed internet. This was great for me since previously I was running only 3mb/s which could load 720p video just fine. When I had 10mb/s with Cincinnati Bell 1080p videos would load really fast and the render would finish before i got to the 1/4 mark in the video. Now I have to wait like 3 minutes to watch a 10 minute 1080p video after I upgraded my internet. My current internet is Time Warner Cable 15mb/s but when I test on speedtest.net it's usually 25-30mb/s and sometimes 15. The only device I have connected to it right now it is this computer and my other desktop which is currently at idle. Does anybody know why this is happening?

My pc specs are a 660ti, 3570k, 8gb of ram and my router is an E1200 from Cisco.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I'm sure you know this, but if not it may be a simple explanation to your issue - there is a difference between a bit and a byte - A byte stands for by-eight and is a unit made of eight bits. A bit is represented like so "b" and a byte like so "B". Check whether your ISP is serving you in megabits or megabytes. If you are being served in megabits, divide the limit by eight and you will have the approximate speed in megabytes.

I know this, I'm paying for 15 megabytes per second.

a byte is 2^3bits and a kilobyte is 2^10 bytes etc.

Sometimes it can load videos just fine and sometimes it can't.

Idk why, but I do know it's not a bandwidth issue.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I know this' date=' I'm paying for 15 megabytes per second. a byte is 2^3bits and a kilobyte is 2^10 bytes etc. Sometimes it can load videos just fine and sometimes it can't. Idk why, but I do know it's not a bandwidth issue. [/quote']

Just a bit more of a clarification, Megabit=Mb but Megabyte=MB. Little "b" always means "bit".

Also, a lot of people have had bad experiences with Time Warner and Time Warner's own comercials always say that they have "changed", but I doubt it. I am betting you it's Time Warner being crappy like always and you should switch ISPs if you can't resolve this issue yourself as it might not be on your end. This is just a suggestion and that you should look into it.

I don't see how time warner cable being "crappy" would have anything to do with it not being able to load videos if I'm getting more speed. Plus I'm usually getting above what I'm paying for in speedtests and I'm downloading games a lot faster than previously. I just want to know why videos won't load as fast anymore, we can't just jump to conclusions and change my internet provider without trying to solve the issue. http://www.speedtest.net/result/2509898636.png is current and before it was around 10. Even if it is megabits (which I think it is) I was still able to load videos just fine before on 10 megabit.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

It could just be that TWC is prioritising speedtest over other connections so it seems that they have "fast" internet.

The cable providers do a little speed-boosting of connections initially. They name it and advertise it differently, and may not even say you have the feature if you do. And it is specifically to perform well in speed tests and help in getting smaller downloads down quickly.

And...odds are you are trying to stream video at the same time everyone in your neighborhood is and you are all bottlenecking the connection. This has always been an issue with cable and is starting to creep into DSL as the existing infrastructure is become more and more crowded,

For a more realistic speed test...Try downloading a large Linux distro or a game file that will last long beyond the speed boosting.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D