Dell 3415w light bleed

TripleMoxy

This is a picture of the widescreen Dell monitor I bought recently. The bleed seems slightly less bad with the naked eye, and the screen is fine with most light backgrounds, but it can be visible in the corners when playing Elite Dangerous.

Is this an acceptable level of light-bleed in terms of it being within normal specifications? I have 1 week to return the screen.

caa232146b95d4530f4ff73e2b783cb8.jpg

that looks terrible. I would go check out some LG ultrawides, my cheapo $250 one has no backlight bleed from what I can tell.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Your digital camera always amplifies the problem, as it thinks that you are in a very dark room. Use manual mode on the camera.

Because of the curvature of the monitor, the edges will present more back light bleeding, as it is tricker to spread the light evenly on a curve surface.

I can't tell you if the issue is "normal" for a consumer grade monitor or not, until you update your picture with your camera set to manual mode, to a setting that represent real life.

An example of the amplification effect. My monitor that have (IPS), have 0 back light bleeding visible (It was a very premium consumer grade monitor), but a camera on auto, will show them.

To have really uniform back light and true 0 back light bleeding, you have to look at professional grade monitors. While it has been 1-2 year since I last check, a 1080p monitor starts at the price that you paid your monitor. Sadly, the technology needed to have uniform back light and no true no back light bleeding, is very costly.

RMA it and either replace it (and hope its not a bad unit) or try another brand like LG

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

From review, it should look like this:

IMG_4649_zpsc2160970.jpg

Which is usually in the specs of a consumer grade monitor.

Try and reduce the monitor brightness. I know that Dell monitor can be very bright by default.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll try and take a more accurate picture and post it. It's frustrating that consumer-grade monitors seem like the weak-link in a setup and have such poor consistency across the range, particularly when their cost can be quite high.

Yes, but the big problem is that consumers don't want to pay the price. On monitors, things like uniform backlight, and no light bleeding, and in the case of IPS panel, removal of IPS glow affect, all cost a lot of money to do. Same for true white back light. It is not like there is no effort in all of this. There is, but the problem is that the consumer and reviewers don't see value in this, and expects additional features.

So manufactures sees it as diminishing return. They see it as "In a normal consumer usage setting, will they see the problem? or should we fix one of the issues and that will make the monitor 200$ more expensive? Will, now, consumers will go with other manufacture instead due to the high price difference".

And sadly, this kind of thinking, is put on everything you buy on your computer, and even home appliances. That is why professional grade appliances or computer part costs so much more. As companies have bigger wallets and seek the best of the best, they get that. But if you ask yourself, do you really care? Do you have your graphics card under max load in a hot environment 24/7? Or do you have 1 graphics card in a system, with proper cooling, and playing games for a few hours, which most games aren't stressing the GPU at its true max, because you want a consistent 60fps experience as you game? See what I mean?

So anyway, Your best bet to reduce back light bleeding, beside going professional grade monitor, is to get a traditional monitor 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio, and go high-en, with no G-Sync/FreeSync extras, or 120Hz and stuff.

I have the same monitor.

What is your brightness/contrast setup?

Try to reduce the brightness to 37, you may see less of bleeding.