Fun things to do with a server?

Penny5837

I've got three servers and currently have one as a pf-sense router and another one used for TeamSpeak, Active Directory, and hosting my resume. I have one extra server that I have no idea what to do with. Any ideas? I'm just bored, but doing something useful and maybe fun would be the best.

Thanks for your time,
Peter

Oh, and if you want the specs of the best one, here is a screenshot :

post-158156-0-35165000-1446253617.png

How bout you Fold with it.

FOLDING!

Dang it! You typed that faster than me.

VM Box - You can test out software or a linux distro without worrying about damaging your computer or the rest of your network!
Web Server - Host your own website for free from your home
SQL Server - Run an SQL server with your web server to store all your web-related data and stuff...
DNS Server - Run a DNS Server because its required for Windows domains. ( Hopefully I reworded it correctly)
DHCP Server - Let your server assign IP addresses to your each computer on your network.
VPN Server - When you're on vacation, or even if you're just on your smart phone, VPN into your network to instantly access to all your files! If you have your network firewalled, you can also have safe internet access on your mobile device
File Server / NAS - Who wouldn't love a giant networked hard drive that everyone in the house can share?
Print Server - Share a printer with ever computer in your house.
Computer Backup - Automagically back up all the computers in your house! If you ever have a hardware failure, don't worry! Your data is backed up on your home server
Game Server - Host a private server for your favorite game! Weather it be Minecraft, Terraria, etc.
Seedbox - If you have the bandwidth to spare, go and seed your favorite linux distros! (Or "whatever else" you want to seed wink.gif )
Home Automation - Order the right hardware, and you can use your home server to automate your house! You can simpily turn off and on your lights just by speaking! There are a ton of cool things you can do with home automation.
Render Box - If you use any Auto CAD or Blender, use your server to help with rendering
Web Cache - You can install squid, and set it up as a web cache. By saving the most used resources locally, web caching can speed up web browsing.
FTP Server - Run a FTP server, and access your files from anywhere in the world! use FTPS to encrypt your FTP traffic protect your data.
Teamspeak/Mumble/Vent Server - Tired of spending money to rent a VOIP server? Just install the server for your favorite VOIP client, and you'll no longer have to pay!
Email Server - Want to get a custom domain name for your email address? Just run an email server on your home server!
Gateway - Replace your router with an IPFire server to gain access to tons of settings and features that your normal router doesn't provide.
Firewall - Protect your home network from threats by using a firewall on your gateway!
Media Server - Stream music and movies from your home server to your TV/Xbox/PS3/Computers/Other by using your home server as a media server.
Active Directory - Login to your computers, just like in a corporate network. An AD lets you manage user accounts and permissions across your whole network.
Snort Server - Run a snort server on your gateway to protect your network from malicious attacks that a normal firewall wouldn't block.
DVR (PVR) - Record Your favorite TV shows to watch later
Home Security - Record Surveillance cameras footage for home security.

FOLDING!!! - If you can't find anything better to do with your server's left over performance, Fold! It only uses the idle clocks, so it won't slow down your server!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

hacking practice...

folding/coin mining...

rendering....

in-home streaming...

VM Box - You can test out software or a linux distro without worrying about damaging your computer or the rest of your network!

SQL Server - Run an SQL server with your web server to store all your web-related data and stuff...

DNS Server - Run a DNS Server because its required for Windows domains. ( Hopefully I reworded it correctly)

DHCP Server - Let your server assign IP addresses to your each computer on your network.

VPN Server - When you're on vacation, or even if you're just on your smart phone, VPN into your network to instantly access to all your files! If you have your network firewalled, you can also have safe internet access on your mobile device

File Server / NAS - Who wouldn't love a giant networked hard drive that everyone in the house can share?

Computer Backup - Automagically back up all the computers in your house! If you ever have a hardware failure, don't worry! Your data is backed up on your home server

Game Server - Host a private server for your favorite game! Weather it be Minecraft, Terraria, etc.

Seedbox - If you have the bandwidth to spare, go and seed your favorite linux distros! (Or "whatever else" you want to seed wink.gif )

Home Automation - Order the right hardware, and you can use your home server to automate your house! You can simpily turn off and on your lights just by speaking! There are a ton of cool things you can do with home automation.

Render Box - If you use any Auto CAD or Blender, use your server to help with rendering

Web Cache - You can install squid, and set it up as a web cache. By saving the most used resources locally, web caching can speed up web browsing.

FTP Server - Run a FTP server, and access your files from anywhere in the world! use FTPS to encrypt your FTP traffic protect your data.

Teamspeak/Mumble/Vent Server - Tired of spending money to rent a VOIP server? Just install the server for your favorite VOIP client, and you'll no longer have to pay!

Email Server - Want to get a custom domain name for your email address? Just run an email server on your home server!

Gateway - Replace your router with an IPFire server to gain access to tons of settings and features that your normal router doesn't provide.

Firewall - Protect your home network from threats by using a firewall on your gateway!

Media Server - Stream music and movies from your home server to your TV/Xbox/PS3/Computers/Other by using your home server as a media server.

Active Directory - Login to your computers, just like in a corporate network. An AD lets you manage user accounts and permissions across your whole network.

Snort Server - Run a snort server on your gateway to protect your network from malicious attacks that a normal firewall wouldn't block.

FOLDING!!! - If you can't find anything better to do with your server's left over performance, Fold! It only uses the idle clocks, so it won't slow down your server!

All the ones that I crossed out are the ones that I have already done.

Dang it! You typed that faster than me.

h3h3

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Comcrap is already on my ass for using so much data. I don't know if this is such a good idea lol

hacking practice...

folding/coin mining...

rendering....

in-home streaming...

hacking my ass

he dont got time to learn kali linux

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

hacking my ass

he dont got time to learn kali linux

I tried kali... still can't get around without a manual...

I tried kali... still can't get around without a manual...

lol so what do u use

I've got three servers and currently have one as a pf-sense router and another one used for TeamSpeak, Active Directory, and hosting my resume. I have one extra server that I have no idea what to do with. Any ideas? I'm just bored, but doing something useful and maybe fun would be the best.

Thanks for your time,

Peter

Oh, and if you want the specs of the best one, here is a screenshot :

attachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

Host an LTT gaming server :P

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

lol so what do u use

I still use Kali for fun... I'm not exactly a hacking yet since it's just serving as a data recovery tool and network utility for me...

I just used it to image a few HDDs that I had in an attempt to recover some data...

too bad the HDD was screwed on a physical level...

that and network mapping to look for intruders on my network...

I'm not using Kali for anything hardcore yet...

Fold  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I still use Kali for fun... I'm not exactly a hacking yet since it's just serving as a data recovery tool and network utility for me...

I just used it to image a few HDDs that I had in an attempt to recover some data...

too bad the HDD was screwed on a physical level...

that and network mapping to look for intruders on my network...

I'm not using Kali for anything hardcore yet...

LOL i cant imagine anyone connecting to my network

got dat 128bit key encryption

aint nobody got time to connect to my network

and if they did

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

they wouldnt see it coming

Bruteforce your way into facebook..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

All the ones that I crossed out are the ones that I have already done.

FTP?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

@OP

also use it as a seedbox...

get a bunch of latest linux distros and seed them...

FTP?

That would be pretty useful, but I kinda love Google Drive lol

That would be pretty useful, but I kinda love Google Drive lol

if you get the right software you can have a web client just like google drive.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

if you get the right software you can have a web client just like google drive.

Link pls?

How would you use a server for your own home automation? 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"