Connecting third monitor to a single (AMD) gpu. DPP to HDMI?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Hi,

So i'm running Ubuntu at the moment, and because AMD's linux drivers suck, i can't use my third monitor. It's connected to the igpu via HDMI, but that doesn't work. But don't worry about that.

I'm using the two DVI ports on my R9 280x for my other two monitors. So can i use a displayport to hdmi connector to connect the third monitor to my discrete gpu. I recall reading about the "clocks" for each connection to the gpu, so i'm not entirely sure that this will work.

Not that it matters, but here's the cable: https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=612920

Thanks in advance

TLDR: can i connect a third monitor to my AMD gpu with a DPP to HDMI cable?

It won't work without a signal converter, if you use a simple adapter cable it will be exactly the same as using another DVI/HDMI port, which won't work because you can only have two of those running at once on that family of cards.

Hi,

So i'm running Ubuntu at the moment, and because AMD's linux drivers suck, i can't use my third monitor. It's connected to the igpu via HDMI, but that doesn't work. But don't worry about that.

I'm using the two DVI ports on my R9 280x for my other two monitors. So can i use a displayport to hdmi connector to connect the third monitor to my discrete gpu. I recall reading about the "clocks" for each connection to the gpu, so i'm not entirely sure that this will work.

Not that it matters, but here's the cable: https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=612920

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Pretty sure you can, but if you do, DisplayPort.

None of my monitors have DPP ports. Kinda disappointed that my Benq RL2455HM doesn't...

But the other two? An old Dell 4:3 and some 17" samsung hdtv. Nuff said.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hi,

Thanks in advance

It won't work without a signal converter, if you use a simple adapter cable it will be exactly the same as using another DVI/HDMI port, which won't work because you can only have two of those running at once on that family of cards.

None of my monitors have DPP ports. Kinda disappointed that my Benq RL2455HM doesn't...

But the other two? An old Dell 4:3 and some 17" samsung hdtv. Nuff said.

You have to get an active adapter and not a passive one like you have!

You can passively adapt displayport to DVI, HDMI or VGA but you CANNOT triple screen using it.

With an active adapter you can!

You have to get an active adapter and not a passive one like you have!

You can passively adapt displayport to DVI, HDMI or VGA but you CANNOT triple screen using it.

With an active adapter you can!

I guess you can use HDMI.

Okay, so that's this right? https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=619529

ugh $39 bucks :()

Depends on the graphics card, but in this case that is correct.

I did exactly the same thing with my 280, and I know not all cases it will work, but for Tahiti it will work!

I did exactly the same thing with my 280, and I know not all cases it will work, but for Tahiti it will work!

By that you mean using the active cable right?

Depends on the graphics card, but in this case that is correct.

Okay thanks for clearing that up guys, i'll grab an active cable when i get a chance.

EDIT: Currently using a minidp to dp, to active dp to hdmi. works great.