Macbook 2015 "Butterfly" Keyswitch

ImBleu

So here's my issue.

About a week into owning the macbook, my delete key started going a bit funky and needed to be very FORCEFULLY pressed to register- now about 2 weeks on, there are several keys on my keyboard that just refuse to activate under a normal stroke and feel as if they've been superglued down. I tried (to no avail) to reset my delete key but after removing the key cap remembered the butterfly mechanism and have been unable to put the key back on my keyboard.

Apparently this is a pretty known issue- I dont want to give my macbook to Apple for a few weeks to let them fix it if I can do it myself - anyone know how to properly fit a key back on a butterfly switch?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Mash it on?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

inb4 "WHY DID YOU BUYZ A MACBOOK 2015!?!?!?!?!?!!11"

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

So here's my issue.

About a week into owning the macbook, my delete key started going a bit funky and needed to be very FORCEFULLY pressed to register- now about 2 weeks on, there are several keys on my keyboard that just refuse to activate under a normal stroke and feel as if they've been superglued down. I tried (to no avail) to reset my delete key but after removing the key cap remembered the butterfly mechanism and have been unable to put the key back on my keyboard.

Apparently this is a pretty known issue- I dont want to give my macbook to Apple for a few weeks to let them fix it if I can do it myself - anyone know how to properly fit a key back on a butterfly switch?

Apple has a 14 day exchange/return for full refund policy.  If you had notice the issue within that period you could've gone to the Apple store and gotten a replacement. Now if you are already beyond that period, just make an appointment with the nearest Apple store and have it serviced.  It should take no more than a few days or they may just give you a replacement.

If you try repairing it yourself, you may void the warranty and then you can kiss any future servicing/repairs goodbye.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I don't think you can do it yourself, although you could try pulling the arms upwards and see if you can get the key back on.

I'm not surprised the macbook is getting all sorts of issues. It's just poorly designed and an immature product in all respects. If you can return it I would advise you to.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would make an appointment to take it into an apple store. Fixing it yourself will most certainly void your warranty, and you don't want to do that when it is so new. You don't have to leave it there. At least go there and get an explanation as to why the keys are getting stuck, and an eta on how long the repair will take. Who knows, what if it is just a couple hours? You can go fart around the mall or whatever is close for a couple hours while you wait.

I would make an appointment to take it into an apple store. Fixing it yourself will most certainly void your warranty, and you don't want to do that when it is so new. You don't have to leave it there. At least go there and get an explanation as to why the keys are getting stuck, and an eta on how long the repair will take. Who knows, what if it is just a couple hours? You can go fart around the mall or whatever is close for a couple hours while you wait.

I could be wrong and it's a relatively blind guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cpu overheating was messing with the key contacts. Or, butterfly switches could by their very nature be more subject to wear - since they've been used on the macbook for the first time we can't really know.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@OP

I've owned various brands of computers before and so far Apple has been the best brand with their customer service.  Replaced my first generation Retina Macbook Pro screen twice, first time it was still within the warranty period and replaced the LG screen for a Samsung one due to the known ghosting issues.  Second time was after the warranty period ended, replaced a damaged screen (after I dropped it in my hotel room) for FREE.  They replaced a $700+ component for free even though it was out of warranty.

I'm an individual registered as a business user, they give 10% discounts on purchases.  I don't see that from any other brand.

So yes, take it to the Apple store and just get it repaired, serviced or who knows they may just give you a new one as your purchase is still fairly recent.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just bring it in to Apple, they should fix it the same day if not they'd probably just replace it

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

My brother's MacBook Pro did this too, just bring it to the Apple store, it's not worth it to do it yourself and possibly do more harm than good. They have amazing service and if you don't want it to wait long then it's not very hard to convince them to just swap your MacBook for a brand new one on the spot.

"Rawr XD"