Is Fitting a custom CPU cooler hard? + Recomendations

TR1GGERHAPPYSAM

Right a really nooby question but at the moment I have a 3570k with the stock cooler on it,good performing air cooler that is easy to fit as this is my first time swapping out to a non stock heat-sink, also anything extra that I need, and what is a good way of removing the old thermal compound ?

PS. Budget is around £60 GBP

Cheers

Sam

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010 this one should be well..

You just take some Q-Tips or sth like that, and you can easily remove it (you can also use rubbing alcohol the more % alcohol the better it is..)

And a good cooler for low money is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

And yes it's pretty easy ;)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Remove the old thermal paste with pure alcohol on toilet paper. yes the pure alcohol WILL help a lot. not debate-able.

The mounting for every heatsink is different, but you will get it mounted. it just takes some time but it isn't impossible for anyone. a third hand is sometimes really handy though :P

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Also, use a microfiber cloth to remove anything left over by the paper

I think the Hyper 212 Evo heatsink and MX-4 Thermal Paste are all you need.

Too mount a cpu cooler all you have to do is clean off the old thermal past with a good paper cloth and to make sure to clean up the left over fibers with a microfiber dipped in rubbing alcoho . Next you need to put a pea size (small; less is more) of MX-4 in the center of the cpu. Lastly put the CPU cooler on. *NOTE Dont touch the base of the heatsink or the CPU as human oil is very bad for heat transmission.

Easiest install ever: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro

Performs just as if not better than the Hyper 212 Evolution, and it makes less noise. The downside is that it might be more expensive than the 212, i got mine for a good share cheaper though, and you can't use other fans than the one it comes with.

for 60 punds, i recommend a noctua NH-D14. nothing else.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

I'd look at the Phanteks ph-tc 14pe actually. £59.96, much better looks, IMO, and still amazing cooling results.

Yes phanteks is also realy good.

Just like.be quiet and thermalright.

There are a lot of good air.coolers out there

I would recommend a silver arrow/NH-D14 etc etc just make sure you'll have enough clearance in your case as these things are huge.

I have just done a review of the Akasa Venom, check my posts...

The akasa venom costs around £40 and its absolutely fantastic!

Easy to fit! backplate and 4 screws and your off!

Great customer service, sent me replacement silver thermal paste when it was missed out of the box.

You should have a second person help you install the heatsink if at all possible. When I originally built my system, my stepdad helped hold the Hyper 212+ heatsink in place while I fit and tightened the screws. When I redid the thermal paste about a year later, I reinstalled the cooler by myself and it was a much longer and frustrating process keeping everything aligned. It's definitely possible by yourself but a bit annoying and more time consuming than with using a friend to help hold it in place.

It really depends on how big your CPU Cooler is and how much space you have to work with in your case. If you want the best air cooler and your not worried about space because your case is large, I would go for a Noctua NH D14 as many people suggested or a Silver Arrow. If you have a small case and want to spend less money, I would go for a Coolermaster 212 Evo.

You should check if it would fit in your case if it does it will be not dificult. You just need to install a backplate (for most of the cooler), thats the only dificult thing with installing a custom cooler.

I know you said air cooler, but if you want easy, get a Corsair H60. Definitely easier than a big air cooler, and will perform pretty much the same. Plus you won't risk it shifting or breaking anything when/if you move you system.