Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Tablet

1,849.00 base without keyboard

I think the problem with rugged devices is I can break a few regular devices and still save money over the rugged ones 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I think the problem with rugged devices is I can break a few regular devices and still save money over the rugged ones 

I think as a general consumer you're probably right! But for those in more... let's just say abnormal circumstances, I think something like this could make a ton of sense!

I think as a general consumer you're probably right! But for those in more... let's just say abnormal circumstances, I think something like this could make a ton of sense!

But as regular consumer...I really want one !

hmph!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Honestly, for who this is targeted at the price tag makes a lot of sense. I believe scientists are more willing to pay a pretty penny for something if it means it can withstand almost any condition while out on the field. Gotta keep that data safe somehow, even in the events of extreme temperatures, drops or violent weather patterns.

For a regular consumer, the durability features and build quality wouldn't make a whole lotta sense, but for a scientist going to a volcano to study the flow of magma during an eruption, or a scientist going into the middle of a hurricane to study the wind and rain patterns relative to the storm's eye? Yeah, it makes a lot of sense for those people.

I do wonder why it has a cooling fan when it has a Core M, though. The body of the device alone is thick enough to serve as a heatsink for that 4.5W CPU.

You guys should have gotten in contact with a local explosives company and had them blow some C4 up close to it and some other possibly cheap 100 dollar Win8 tablet as well to really test it

and you totally should have tried playing a touch capable game using a super soaker/BB gun

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

But as regular consumer...I really want one !

hmph!

also dont forget they dont have the time to back things up and setup windows again

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

You guys should have gotten in contact with a local explosives company and had them blow some C4 up close to it and some other possibly cheap 100 dollar Win8 tablet as well to really test it

and you totally should have tried playing a touch capable game using a super soaker/BB gun

A channel super fun maybe @LinusTech @nicklmg

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

A channel super fun maybe @LinusTech @nicklmg

That may be the first time I actually watch a channel super fun video

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Please get an AK47 and do a video shooting this thing

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

63 Celsius is NOT high!? i cant use it in the sauna!

Holly shit £2.5grand nop nop nop.
May of actually been useful but its not powerful enough and is way to expensive. Its probably more effective for me to just buy a flight case and stick a computer in it.

The Dick of the audio page!

Usually I am quite content to view the videos and simply consume the information I'm being given. But here I felt the 'testing' to be so insignificant that I was provoked into actually creating an  account.

Where are the real world scenarios? Sure, you can hose it down if you drop it in the mud. We know that. But what happens when its saltwater instead of pvc-scented garden water? What if you need to plug something like a GPS antenna, sonar signal, ROV-controller, sat-link etc. while it's raining cats and dogs or blowing sand from all sides? Can the air intake stand it being imersed in water or filled with dust for any period in time?

What OS does it run? Will the screen be readable even in the most intense sunlight? Can the extra battery be hot-swapped in the field, or does it require a safe and dust-free environment?

Were are the god damn practical limits and what to look out for in semi and fully rugged system? What advantages and limitations are there when considering a tablet up against a laptop?

The updated tests of these kinds of products tend to be literally years apart. As consumers of weather-proof and weather-resistent tech, one is left to take the word of manufacturers at face value and hope for the best as no warranties ever cover what manufacturers hope their systems will be capable of coping with.

So sure, play with the thing in your back yard. But take some responsibility and test the thing for what it can do and what it's supposed to do, not for how it does or does not compare to an ipad (which is irrelevant for anyone who ever even bothers too look up this one or similar products).

Review and compare to Panasonic ToughPad pls

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Probably made for drunk people that drop device by accident in toilet and piss and take a shit on it, cool either way :D

military use first of all

emergency services secondly

extreme travelers (mount hiking, polar expeditions) thirdly

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

--cut--

I agree, as of late these videos seem a bit "cheap" with just a couple of B-Rolls and no real effort from the host, almost like another Ubisoft / WB cash-grab game release...

Another low-effort / how-fast-make was the GPU driver improvements, where only 5 drivers for a single card were tested, which provided more questions than answers...

Is it just me or have they not posted any new videos on vessel in the past 2/3 days? There's a tech quickie video from 3 hours ago, but the last LTT video was 3 days ago, and I think superfun is due for another video too. 

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

Hey explosive atmosphere rated! That's actually pretty neat.

From the dell website:

IEC 60529 ingress protection3: IP-65 (dust-tight, protected against pressurized water)
Hazardous locations3: ANSI/ISA.12.12.01 certification capable (Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C,D), CAN/CSA C22.2, optional ATEX 1 compliant model available 10
Electromagnetic interference3MIL-STD-461F certified

And descriptions of what that means.

Class I, Div. 2 - Where ignitable concentrations of flammable gases, vapors, or liquids are present within the atmosphere under abnormal operating conditions.

​basically the device won't cause an explosion when working in an environment that likes to explode, making it intrinsically safe. If you've ever tried to buy anything with such a rating, the prices get CRAZY. I've dealt with this before and even a simple flashlight is in the hundreds of dollars for one that actually produces decent light similar to my 10 dollar dealextreme flashlight.

Why not the Toughpad tablet? (Same series as the toughbooks) The Toughpad FZ-G1 is a good competator. Also why didn't they through it from the top of there stairs, it could handle it.

OK, market and other things aside.
Am I the only one who expected Linus to actually manage to kill it?

Also the challenge on heat exhaustion:
Accepted, me and it, the sahara desert, lets see who switches off first.

Think my enamel might peel off first but crack? not likely :D 

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

The smart card reader tells you exactly who the target consumer base is for these devices. They really should make a version with no camera on it though as that would sell better most likely.

I agree with DX. Mil first.

In a previous life, we used the rugged Dell XFR notebooks for data link communication in an un-pressurized aircraft (Temp extremes, vibration, high drops, lots of serial accessories to plug in). I'm actually a fan of the glove friendly design, the biggest complaint I always had running it was to use the touch screen and track pad, you had to take your gloves off (It had a pointing stick that we always used instead). The "Ballistic Armor" is darn near bullet proof (it's not... trust me), but, it would take a beating and keep on moving. I loved it. Watching the video I could see all the things we always wanted in the XFR but didn't have.     

TopDollar, I would have loved to have an integrated smart card reader. We had to use a portable one we connected with to write new card on the fly.

Too bad I don't have a use for something like that anymore.

Another application for these things could be for in the field non-destructive testing (NDT) in harsh environments. Something like this could be good for eddy current inspections or ultrasonic testing. Would still be more popular without the camera though.

• 1 year later...