SNorman

Hello, as you might have seen I'm planning on building my own PC

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474062-to-wait-or-not-to-wait/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474110-should-i-or-shouldnt-i-build-my-own/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474395-to-sell-or-not-to-sell

Now I haven't asked my parents yet but I know they will flip at the idea of

A. ME building it

B. The price tag

I currently have a Mac Mini which my parents saved up for so long to buy (3-4 years ago) and now I want to tell them I think it's time I got a new computer. I have £200 I can put towards it, I also know relatives will put £100-180 for me but the hard part is telling my parents. I need ways to explain why it costs so much, why I need it as they think that the Mac is the dream machine that's why it costs so much and I don't know how to tell them other wise

EDIT: I told her, she flipped and said I was ungrateful for my mac, why do I need a new PC. Why does it cost £500. Can't I just buy all the parts second hand.

How old are you?

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

-snip-

Bitch to people on Patreon about it.  Or just buy them from craigslist mate!

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Wait until you can buy it yourself? Get a job? Use your Mac mini until then boom.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Let's be real, £500 is on the cheap side. To be honest, you'll likely need to do the budgeting on your own, that's what I've done for all my builds. Depending on where you live (UK?) and your age you could possibly get a job to raise some money, agian something that I've had to do in the past.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

How old are you?

First convince me that writing this in such a large font was a good idea...  <_<

I'm sorry :(

I mean, if it is YOUR money, why is it a problem? Buy what you want'. It sometimes is difficult explaining the cost of a PC haha.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Maybe say that the mac is getting too slow for you and that building a pc will teach you a new skill as well as being better value? I just saved money given by relatives/friends for birthdays etc. and some of my parents friends are quite computery (couldn't think of a better word) and I'd talked to them about computers and stuff which helped relax my parents about it - also they don't know exactly how much I spent :P

Good luck! :)

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

Maybe say that the mac is getting too slow for you and that building a pc will teach you a new skill as well as being better value? I just saved money given by relatives/friends for birthdays etc. and some of my parents friends are quite computery (couldn't think of a better word) and I'd talked to them about computers and stuff which helped.

Thanks

I mean, if it is YOUR money, why is it a problem? Buy what you want'. It sometimes is difficult explaining the cost of a PC haha.

I have money just not enough. Explaining is difficult

Okay, so even though you may not have a job there are still options available.

You can offer to do odd jobs (yard work, cleaning, moving, pet sitting) to anyone and EVERYONE you know. Don't go crazy with the price tag. $10-$20 depending on the job (or whatever currency you use). Additionally if you can turn in recycling for change I would say do it. Cans and bottles. That can actually add up. My brother started going to public trash cans and taking them out lol. He made quite a few dollars. Be creative! There are a ton of ways for you to earn money without having a job. If you're old enough for a job then get one! I got my first job at 14 years old and was paid under the table. You can do it. Don't rely only on others. Maybe if you put in the hard work to buy what you need your parents will see it and help out. Good luck.

It's almost Xmas and new year. Give hints to your family that you're gonna get a new PC next year and are short on money. Also sell your mac thing. Since it's from apple people will still pay some money for it.

(I just built a 600£ PC for a friend, I think you'll be able to get that amount of money)

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Why did you even get a Mac?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Thanks

I have money just not enough. Explaining is difficult

Well, just try and find things that could make you some money, as other people have mentioned. Or, do what I did, and just save. Save from your birthday/holidays if you celebrate either. It may take a while. For a lot of people it does, including me.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Okay, so even though you may not have a job there are still options available.

You can offer to do odd jobs (yard work, cleaning, moving, pet sitting) to anyone and EVERYONE you know. Don't go crazy with the price tag. $10-$20 depending on the job (or whatever currency you use). Additionally if you can turn in recycling for change I would say do it. Cans and bottles. That can actually add up. My brother started going to public trash cans and taking them out lol. He made quite a few dollars. Be creative! There are a ton of ways for you to earn money without having a job. If you're old enough for a job then get one! I got my first job at 14 years old and was paid under the table. You can do it. Don't rely only on others. Maybe if you put in the hard work to buy what you need your parents will see it and help out. Good luck.

Its hard when you live rural but I can try :)

Why did you even get a Mac?

The million dollar question.

When I was 10 going 11 apple products were my dream.. I've learnt don't worry

Its hard when you live rural but I can try :)

"Do or Do not, there is no try". :)

Hopefully you get the reference lol..

The million dollar question.

When I was 10 going 11 apple products were my dream.. I've learnt don't worry

Sell the Mac for what you can and work with that.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

My parents don't want me to sell it as they worked so hard to buy it for me for my birthday 3 years ago

Hello, as you might have seen I'm planning on building my own PC

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474062-to-wait-or-not-to-wait/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474110-should-i-or-shouldnt-i-build-my-own/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474395-to-sell-or-not-to-sell

Now I haven't asked my parents yet but I know they will flip at the idea of

A. ME building it

B. The price tag

I currently have a Mac Mini which my parents saved up for so long to buy (3-4 years ago) and now I want to tell them I think it's time I got a new computer. I have £200 I can put towards it, I also know relatives will put £100-180 for me but the hard part is telling my parents. I need ways to explain why it costs so much, why I need it as they think that the Mac is the dream machine that's why it costs so much and I don't know how to tell them other wise

EDIT: I told her, she flipped and said I was ungrateful for my mac, why do I need a new PC. Why does it cost £500. Can't I just buy all the parts second hand.

Say it as it is, provide proof that the Mac cannot live up to the stress that you are putting it under.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

I think that falls under the persuading parents why category which hopefully OP can. Otherwise, I always like the idea of "It's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission" lol

My parents don't want me to sell it as they worked so hard to buy it for me for my birthday 3 years ago

Then you're in one serious pickle.