HHD failed! What should i buy ?

Premchand
Go to solution Solved by cortexcortex,

I'd rather get a Western Digital drive; they're mostly more reliable. SSHD's won't help unless you want it to be a boot drive, anyways.

My hdd was making a ticking noise for some while now... "i really should backup my data... nah i'll do it tomorrow" (don't be like me :( )

So now i want to get a new one mainly for most of my games and some data like music and photo's

I have a small SSD a mx100 256GB

I want at least 2TB and am willing to spend around a 100 euro. Was thinking this one https://www.alternate.nl/Seagate/Desktop-SSHD-2-TB-Hybride-harde-schijf/html/product/1096924?tk=7&lk=9601

or should i just get a normal hdd instead of a sshd, which is around 20 euro's cheaper ?

Thanks for the help 

Get a WD. Apparently Seagate's are crap.

I believe the WD Black is what most people go for (don't quote me on that one). 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I'd rather get a Western Digital drive; they're mostly more reliable. SSHD's won't help unless you want it to be a boot drive, anyways.

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

I think WD has the lowest failure rate.

As for HDD vs SSHD, you may as well save the money and get a HDD

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

Some people say the black one is noisy, but hey.

Go get a seagate SSHD. Those work fine.

Seagate's barracuda range are their most widespread, and also their cheapest model. I have several decade-old seagate drives here, none of which have stopped working yet. (albeit under light load). I have no experience with their (or any) SSHDs.

WD's product stack goes Blue-Black-Red-Purple (I think). There is also a 'Green' model which is supposedly more eco-friendly. The Blue model is the entry-level model, the black is the high-end consumer model, the red drives are for nas use (lots of drives in a compact environment) and the purples are for surveillance servers (24/7 writes with maximum endurance)

My hdd was making a ticking noise for some while now... "i really should backup my data... nah i'll do it tomorrow" (don't be like me :( )

If you already have an SSD, the SSHD will not really do much in terms of speed, I would just get a nice WD 2tb Black/Blue

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ok so a SSHD is useless if its not a bootdrive and seagate drives are rubbish... though i have to say a friend of mine has been running one as his main drive for years without problems, also my moms PC has one never had issues there either. 

I could go for a black WD but it cost 140 euro! Not sure if that is gonna be worth the extra cash and as Xenift mentioned i am afraid it is pretty loud. Though my raid 0 samsung drives are/were(RIP) pretty loud as well(my PC is surprisingly quiet now! :D). The blue drive is 90 euro, 50 euro cheaper than the black... but it is only 5400 rpm and its not in stock https://www.alternate.nl/Western-Digital/Blue-2-TB-Harde-schijf/html/product/1231590?tk=7&lk=16781

@Kenji the Uke i would love too! But i don't think a 2TB ssd fits in my 100 euro budget :P 

~snip~

Hey there Premchand,

SSHDs are good drives to have if you use them mostly for just a few things so they can store the files of the used applications on the SSD portion and give you a good speed boost. If you are going to use it as a secondary storage drive and have many things on it I wouldn't say there's any point in doing so. Since you have a large-enough SSD for the OS and the more demanding applications and games I'd get a regular HDD.
WD Black and WD Green are two good choices, depending on what you are going to store on the drive. WD Black is a performance-oriented drive with good speeds and long warranty. WD Green is a secondary storage drive with low noise, heat and vibration output that is designed for storing non-demanding applications and massive media and data. Here's some more info on these two drives:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

WD Green = low noise / heat?  lol!

I can't speak to the noise (the 120mm fan in the enclosure masks any HDD noise), or the amount of vibration, but heat I can speak to.  Of the 6 drives in the enclosure:

WD10EAVS-00D = 87.8*

HDS721010CLA332 = 86*

ST1000DM003-1CH162 = 84.2*

WD10EACS-00D6B0 = 96.8*

(All temperatures in fahrenheit)

These values are read via S.M.A.R.T. reporting.

I can say the two Greens still in my storage pool have fared better than the WD Blue 1TB (WD1EZEX) that was formerly a part of my storage pool.  Tons of corrupted data on that drive.

:(

Hey there Premchand,

SSHDs are good drives to have if you use them mostly for just a few things so they can store the files of the used applications on the SSD portion and give you a good speed boost. If you are going to use it as a secondary storage drive and have many things on it I wouldn't say there's any point in doing so. Since you have a large-enough SSD for the OS and the more demanding applications and games I'd get a regular HDD.
WD Black and WD Green are two good choices, depending on what you are going to store on the drive. WD Black is a performance-oriented drive with good speeds and long warranty. WD Green is a secondary storage drive with low noise, heat and vibration output that is designed for storing non-demanding applications and massive media and data. Here's some more info on these two drives:

Captain_WD.

~snip~

WD Green drives are not designed to work in bulky storage pools with other drives in NAS or DAS enclosures. Moreover, it really depends on how and where a drive is placed in a case in order to get a lower or a higher operating temperature. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with WD Blue. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I guess it's lucky for me, then, that the primary storage pool (containing one of the two greens) is actually in a mid-tower PC case (it has a normal ATX power supply, a 120mm fan attached to the 5 in 3 hot-swap tray, and a 120mm fan at the back of the case, and the eSATA to SATA adapter mounted in one of the empty PCI slots along the back of the case), and the other WD Green is actually installed in a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter inside my Z800.  I'd have expected the one in the Z800 (the HDD at 96.8*) would have been running slightly cooler than that, considering the number of fans directing air-flow through the Z800 chassis...

They are getting *plenty* air-flow, in general.  :)

WD Green drives are not designed to work in bulky storage pools with other drives in NAS or DAS enclosures. Moreover, it really depends on how and where a drive is placed in a case in order to get a lower or a higher operating temperature. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with WD Blue. 

Captain_WD.