Corsair PSUs high death rate?

Lenordais

Is it only me or do these PSUs have a high rate of failure lately?

Mine is a AX850 Pro Gold and it died suddenly yesterday after only two years of moderate usage.

I am not impressed.

They seem to have good support.

I went online and made a request and they are supposed to send me a new one tomorrow by UPS, like if it was normal to have to RMA their PSUs.

Is anyone on the forum having this issue?

I also own one HX500 which is lower quality and I hope it will not die as fast.

By the way, I never had any coil whining problem with the AX850 or the HX500, so far.

I hope it did not damage any component when it passed away.

I will find out when turning the new one on.

I never had a Corsair PSU die on me before, and I have had a good few.

Corsair is OEM so it cant have higher failure rate than other OEM companies.

who knows what they do to maximize the profit. like changing capacitors and stuff

just saying

who knows what they do to maximize the profit. like changing capacitors and stuff

just saying

They just put stikers to PSU nothing else. :)

On 8/18/2013 at 3:24 PM, M-ursu said:

They just put stikers to PSU nothing else. :)

stickers* 

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

While it is indeed unfortunate that it died on you, the AX850 isn't by any means a flawed, poorly design unit. It's an excellent high-quality PSU based off of the X KM2 platform. However, these are mass-produced consumer electronics with many components, in which they do occasionally have bad batches that had been produce. Sometime certain sample may not show any immediate signs of failure where they may slip pass QC and ship out of factory to be sold, where a failure may take a few months or a year or so to manifest themselves. This doesn't include the ones that fail during the abuse that happen during shipping.

So yes, it should have lasted longer and is capable of doing so; however, it just a matter of bad luck. Like you had said in another thread, they sold a lot of these units - thousands, likely millions worldwide over the course of 3 years when it had been release. You are bound to eventually hear some failures regarding them, but in the grand scheme of things, they are insignificant as a whole (statistically. I'm not saying that having something fail on you is insignificant).

Anyways, hopefully, your replacement will last longer. On some occasion, since the AX850 had been discontinued and replaced, you may get the AX860 (updated KM3 design) as a replacement.

_____

Just an FYI that's a bit off-topic, Corsair does have some control in what they do to a platform. On some occasion, the platform itself may be modified a bit. It not always just a simple slapped on a brand sticker. For example, the Corsair CX-750-M and the Thermaltake Smart 750-M is based on the same PUQ-B design from Channel Well Tech; however, the Corsair, since it based on the value line, it uses price-cut components where it uses lower quality capacitors and fan than the TT Smart, where it uses Japanese caps that are rated at 105C and 2BB fan. Of course, the AX series does not sacrifice in quality, which you shouldn't have to worry about it.

My friend actually got a brand new AX850 that died in about 2 days. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 8/18/2013 at 3:46 PM, wtfxmitchell said:

stickers* 

That's not actually a grammar mistake. He did make one though, ".. on PSU's, nothing else"

I've had many Corsair PSU's over the years and never has single one of them failed. Of course there is gonna be a few cases where even the good PSU fails but that's normal. Just like people here have said, when something is mass produced, no matter how high quality, there is always a small batch of components which will not last long.

Unfortunately whenever someone has the bad PSU, they tend to complain about it everywhere. This might make it look like it's a bad PSU, but in the real life, wast majority of the PSU's sold, only fraction of them get defective.

However when PSU does give away, I would be really conserned about the rest of the components. PSU has the tendency to burn other components as well if it gets faulty. This might cause a nightmare, because the warranty really only covers the PSU itself, not the other components.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I have seen very little RMAs or broken Corsair PSUs. Even if they do die, they have quite a long warranty, so if you've reached the 5 year mark, I wouldn't really care if it died or not. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Things happen, not everything will last forever and you got the ugly ducky of the group sadly, i hope they rma you quickly, corsair doesnt have the worst psus by a long shot.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

• 4 years later...
On 18.8.2013 at 10:07 PM, Lenordais said:

Mine is a AX850 Pro Gold and it died suddenly yesterday after only two years of moderate usage.

I am not impressed.

They seem to have good support.

I went online and made a request and they are supposed to send me a new one tomorrow by UPS, like if it was normal to have to RMA their PSUs.

Is anyone on the forum having this issue?

By the way, I never had any coil whining problem with the AX850 or the HX500, so far.

I hope it did not damage any component when it passed away.

I will find out when turning the new one on.

I have had a corsair 650i psu and it died after sparkling and shit after 8 months... and ive gotten a new one cuz ive had 5 years warranty on it, but i think this ones faulty too cuz i boot up my pc, use it for like 30 mins and then it dies and then trys booting up again boots up again i can use it for a min or so and then dies and sarts bootlooping, but if i let it rest for a few mins it starts up just fine and and then 30 mins and so on and so on... its fkin idiotic...

@telekb

Why are you pushing a 5 Year old Thread??

Especially since you don't bring anything that fits this discussion.

Your "Corsair 650i" is probably an RM650i wich has nothing to do with the AX Series wich this thread is more or less about...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 8/18/2013 at 1:07 PM, Lenordais said:

It's just you.

On 8/18/2013 at 1:07 PM, Lenordais said:

There is no HX500.