Newly built computer will not boot after installing Windows updates.

I'm posting this for a friend; his younger brother recently bought the parts for a computer and came up this weekend to build it. I'd really like to have his first build be a successful one.

Troubleshooting Help:

What is your parts list?

• MSI Z97 G45 gaming motherboard
  • EVGA GTX 960
  • Intel i5 4690K
  • Ballistix 16 GB RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
  • Cooler Master 212
  • ASUS DVD RW optical drive

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

We built the computer successfully and everything booted up. We installed the drivers for the wireless card first, then the for the GPU, then for the motherboard. We used Ninite to install several programs and that worked just fine. After that, we rebooted to check and the wireless was not working. We reinstalled the wireless drivers and the wireless worked once again. After that we rebooted to check the BIOS settings but instead let Windows install updates. We left the apartment when the computer was at 50 out of 202 updates and when we came back the computer was off and the motherboard would not power on at all.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

We have tested the PSU by jumping between the green pin and one of the black pins on the 24 pin connector. The PSU turns on and its fan spins. We also used a multimeter to test the continuity for the power switch and there is continuity when the button is depressed. We also checked the CMOS battery and under no load it had an output voltage of 3.1 Volts. We also cleared the CMOS.

Edited the main post to better reflect the issues experienced.

Use a recovery disk to get to a command line and rebuild the MBR. Windows tends to accidentally remove the boot flag from your os when it updates. I've had this problem several times.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

You can find out how to rebuild the MBR by googling as I don't remember the commands.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

The motherboard will not power on at all. I'll edit the main post to reflect that.

You can use a recovery disk made from another windows computer, alternatively, a flash drive can be used if you ain't into disks.

Spoiler

The motherboard will not power on at all. I'll edit the main post to reflect that.

Reseat all of the connectors.

Spoiler

We have completely disassembled and reassembled the PC. We just installed and tried booting with a brand new CPU and the motherboard will still not power on. At this point I believe the motherboard is dead.

We have completely disassembled and reassembled the PC. We just installed and tried booting with a brand new CPU and the motherboard will still not power on. At this point I believe the motherboard is dead.

Hmm. :( I just don't see how Windows updates could kill a board.

Spoiler

Hmm. :( I just don't see how Windows updates could kill a board.

i think its not OS problem they left the comp alone and no one knows if there was no power break ( its the most logical issue system was updating and boom power is off in the apartament and MB got fried  (i dont rememeber the correct words for it thou) . SO OS here is not at fault, at fault is leaving it alone without observation and than be suprised smth is not right :) .

PSU can handle such sudden power breaks but MB wont  or it should but propably you got bad luck and this one wasnt so though :P.

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

i think its not OS problem they left the comp alone and no one knows if there was no power break ( its the most logical issue system was updating and boom power is off in the apartament and MB got fried  (i dont rememeber the correct words for it thou) . SO OS here is not at fault, at fault is leaving it alone without observation and than be suprised smth is not right :) .

PSU can handle such sudden power breaks but MB wont  or it should but propably you got bad luck and this one wasnt so though :P.

Even Asus ones with their surge protection?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Even Asus ones with their surge protection?

We do not know if this mobo is brand new or was used somewhere else. AND even the best MOBO can have such event happen cuz it can have that sort of fabric malfunction. 

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

All componets were brand new, but mobo has been sent off for RMA.

Thanks for the help guys