PWM vs Non PWM Fans?

CC268

So...for just normal airflow case fans (like the be quiet! Silent Wings) I don't need PWM fans right? I can still control them with software, etc? But typically CPU cooler fans are PWM?

I am just a bit confused on this subject.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

only need pwm fans if you want to controll the speed of the fans its nice to have since it cuts down on noise but if you dont care about noise you dont need to get pwm fans

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

So non pwm fans can only run at 100%?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

no, you chan change their speed in the BIOS, but cant really change their speed in function of the usage and temps of your computer

not exactly motherboards should still be able to control the speed of the fans but i dont think you get automatic control imo pwm is the way to go

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

you can still controll them by changing the voltage

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

only need pwm fans if you want to controll the speed of the fans its nice to have since it cuts down on noise but if you dont care about noise you dont need to get pwm fans

BOTH PWM and non-PWM fans can be controlled

how/if they are controlled depends on the motherboard

a lot of newer board especially from asus have software to control any kind of fan from the OS

the only difference between PWM and non PWM is that PWM fan can go down to speeds of 10 or 20% while non-PWM (aka voltage control) can only drop to 40% before stalling

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Okay so Maybach says PWM...I only have two PWM fan headers (CPUFAN1/2) though...and of course my Kraken is plugged into one of the ports already. I think that my SYSFAN1-3 headers are Voltage mode. be quiet! Silent Wings are $35 a piece for the PWM version and it seems like I don't have nearly enough ports to do all PWM fans  :(

What should I do??

My motherboard (MSI M7) is in my sig.

Okay so Maybach says PWM...I only have two PWM fan headers (CPUFAN1/2) though...and of course my Kraken is plugged into one of the ports already. I think that my SYSFAN1-3 headers are Voltage mode. be quiet! Silent Wings are $35 a piece for the PWM version and it seems like I don't have nearly enough ports to do all PWM fans  :(

What should I do??

My motherboard (MSI M7) is in my sig.

if you only have 2 just use non pwm fans because then you would just be buying the 4th female pin for nothing

I'm surprised because my motherboard is a high end morherboard...I wonder if the ASUS Hero has more PWM headers cause otherwise I don't understand how everyone is running like 6 PWM fans...

I'm surprised because my motherboard is a high end morherboard...I wonder if the ASUS Hero has more PWM headers cause otherwise I don't understand how everyone is running like 6 PWM fans...

idk my motherboard is all pwm fans you usually use them for water cooling because you can control the temps better 

I forgot that my NZXT X61 has two PWM spots left over on the splitter! I can hook up my exhaust PWM fan to one of the open spot. Then I can get a 3 to 1 PWM splitter and run that to the CPUFAN2 spot and run all my case fans and they can all be PWM!

Can I run 3 PWM fans on 1 header?