[Updated 11/4/15] Fallout 4 to NOT feature Nvidia Gameworks, but Nvidia is still working with Bethesda on the game.

ChrisxIxCross

UPDATE: After todays blog post about the graphics in Fallout 4 there was no mention of Gameworks at all, but Nvidia graphics enhanced features. So this may be a "The way its meant to be played" title rather than Gameworks. 

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/the-graphics-technology-of-fallout-4/2015/11/04/45

As always, our world features fully dynamic time of day and weather. To create that volumetric light spilling across the scene (sometimes called “god rays”) we worked with our friends at NVIDIA, who’ve we worked with dating back to Morrowind’s cutting-edge water. The technique used here runs on the GPU and leverages hardware tessellation. It’s beautiful in motion, and it adds atmospheric depth to the irradiated air of the Wasteland. Like all the other features here, we’ve made it work great regardless of your platform.

When a rain storm rolls in, our new material system allows the surfaces of the world to get wet, and a new cloth simulation system makes cloth, hair, and vegetation blow in the wind.

I myself was hoping a game as big as Fallout 4 was going to remain vendor neutral but it looks like this will not be the case. The effects will include things such as ambient occlusion, shadowing and lighting effects. The effects that are being implemented are at the very least Nvidia versions of things that are already in place unlike Witcher 3's hairworks that works better with Nvidia gpus. Now I realize that if Nvidia gives out their resources to developers it makes sense that these effects SHOULD run better on their gpus since its THEIR code, but I still think there should be some kind of compromise that could be made that would allow AMD gpus to run these effects better some way or another. In my opinion the only option for AMD to compete with this is to create their own middleware like Gameworks which they already kinda have with TressFX but thats pretty much it.Then If they had enough money it would be nice if we could see developers working with BOTH AMD/Nvidia on their games and implement Nvidia/AMD versions of said effects. Or Nvidia has their own suite of cool exclusive effects in the game while AMD has theirs. Then I think everybody would be happy.That being said I'm hoping that the game will look and run just fine on either Nvidia or AMD hardware. What do you guys think?

0669dbe9df0f7c894add47f11fb256f9.jpg

The next iteration of the beloved Fallout series is the fourth in the series and the second Fallout to be made under legendary game director Todd Howard inside Bethesda Game Studios. This post apocalyptic open world epic role playing game is one of the most, if not the most, hotly anticipated games of 2015. So when we found out that it will feature Nvidia GameWorks technologies we did not hesitate to share this information. Considering the potential implications that this development may imply for Fallout 4 and PC gamers.

We’ve learned that Nvidia has been working with the studio to implement effects from the GameWorks library into the game for some time. These will include things ranging from ambient occlusion to shadowing and lighting effects. However, it’s not been made clear to us whether the game will launch with all of these GameWorks graphical effects or if some will be added to the game via incremental patches post-launch.

Source: http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-nvidia-gameworks/

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Why does everyone automatically assume that this is bad?

This is great if you have a Nvidia card...

The idea of GameWorks isn't bad. The Execution seems to be a little less than sub par though...

Nvidia... Nvidia never changes...

nvidia didnt make the game, its the developers choice not amd or nvidia

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

unlike the disaster with Witcher 3's hairworks that crippled performance on AMD gpus and even taxes Nvidia gpus quite considerably as well. 

Oh my god, if you didn't find it worth it, you just had to turn it off

@Enderman Ah, just before me

Time to go find a vault to hide in before this thread explodes into what will most likely be a fan war. No amount of bottlecaps will fix this.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

this is BS

it didnt "cripple" AMD performance

it was an option in the settings for effects which were specifically coded for nvidia GPUs, so obviously turning it on for AMD GPUs would reduce performance more than normal

the entire point of it being an "option" is so that people who have nvidia GPUs can use it, and if you dont have an nvidia GPU DONT FREAKING COMPLAIN ABOUT IT DECREASING YOUR EPRFORMANCE because you chould leave it off if your GPU is AMD

seriously, just deal with it

if you want those special effects then buy a GPU from the company that actually has money to give help to developers to effortlessly implement sweet effects

QFT

Was about to reply with something like this, but you did it before me.

Don't care about this game anymore, I took a fucking week off to play this. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

this is BS

it was an option in the settings for effects which were specifically coded for nvidia GPUs, so obviously turning it on for AMD GPUs would reduce performance more than normal

the entire point of it being an "option" is so that people who have nvidia GPUs can use it, and if you dont have an nvidia GPU DONT FREAKING COMPLAIN ABOUT IT DECREASING YOUR PERFORMANCE because it was not made for your AMD GPU

if you want those special effects then buy a GPU from the company that actually has money to give help to developers to effortlessly implement sweet effects

it takes nothing away from AMD, and adds stuff if you have an nvidia GPU

tressfx wasn't made for nvidia gpus

they got the same performance as an amd gpu

your point is?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Glad it's not hair works. I think it's fine and I think AMD cards might be able to run this. 

your point is?

Nvidida just doesn't give the code out I suppose :P 

your point is?

my point is that its optional? there is this thing called settings, and if you find your GPU isnt performing well enough you can turn stuff off

but dont complain about features not made for your GPU lowering your performance when you try to use them...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

your point is?

It ran like ass on release. After a while Nvidia somehow got it working better.

my point is that its optional? there is this thing called settings, and if you find your GPU isnt performing well enough you can turn stuff off

but dont complain about features not made for your GPU lowering your performance when you try to use them...

you have a point

fuck it, we all have points

this is BS

the entire point of it being an "option" is so that people who have nvidia GPUs can use it, and if you dont have an nvidia GPU DONT FREAKING COMPLAIN ABOUT IT DECREASING YOUR PERFORMANCE because it was not made for your AMD GPU

it takes nothing away from AMD, and adds stuff if you have an nvidia GPU

I know i know man I'm not some AMD fanboy I own an 980 Ti myself. I just wish there was some sort of compromise or solution that could be done that could allow these effects to run well on both AMD and Nvidia gpus thats all. I realize that if it doesn't run well then just dont use the effect.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Why does everyone automatically assume that this is bad?

This is great if you have a Nvidia card...

The idea of GameWorks isn't bad. The Execution seems to be a little less than sub par though...

I have an Nvidia card and hate GameWorks.

It's almost always half baked, most of the games it's been in usually have numerous other performance issues, it usually cripples performance on both sides it just hits AMD harder.

Since it's usually half-baked, there are cases where it actually looks worse or removes other graphical features by enabling them since they were so poorly implemented.

I also don't like these exclusive graphic options, it's fucking stupid. 

I'm tired of Nvidia forcing themselves into everything and onto everyone, it's already fun that drivers are now locked behind their software.

It would be amazing if they just stayed the fuck out of everything and continued making hardware.

Maybe others like their hardware manufacturers sticking their finger all up in the development of their games, I don't.

you have a point

fuck it, we all have points

Here's another point (@Deletive): if you took off work days to play this game, go fucking play the game when it comes out. Don't get butthurt because your lesser favorite GPU vendor has exclusive effects in the game that are made to run on their cards.

I didn't pitch a fit whenever Tomb Raider or the new Deus Ex confirmed TressFX. If you want to play the game, play the fookin game

Here's another point (@Deletive): if you took off work days to play this game, go fucking play the game when it comes out. Don't get butthurt because your lesser favorite GPU vendor has exclusive effects in the game that are made to run on their cards.

I didn't pitch a fit whenever Tomb Raider or the new Deus Ex confirmed TressFX. If you want to play the game, play the fookin game

yes

that's why i don't throw fits at disabled settings in grid 2 :^)

but in all honesty, it seems like project cars and arkham knight influenced the community in a negative way about gameworks

I have an Nvidia card and hate GameWorks.

It's almost always half baked, most of the games it's been in usually have numerous other performance issues, it usually cripples performance on both sides it just hits AMD harder.

Since it's usually half-baked, there are cases where it actually looks worse or removes other graphical features by enabling them since they were so poorly implemented.

I also don't like these exclusive graphic options, it's fucking stupid. 

I'm tired of Nvidia forcing themselves into everything and onto everyone, it's already fun that drivers are now locked behind their software.

It would be amazing if they just stayed the fuck out of everything and continued making hardware.

Maybe others like their hardware manufacturers sticking their finger all up in the development of their games, I don't.

I don't like exclusive graphics either, but it is what it is. Nvidia isn't forcing themselves onto anyone. Bethesda are the ones who made the decision and went with it. It's not that big of a deal.

If every company stayed the fuck out of other areas, they wouldn't be as successful. Look at Samsung and how big they are. Their name is literally on almost everything on the planet.

I know i know man I'm not some AMD fanboy I own an 980 Ti myself. I just wish there was some sort of compromise or solution that could be done that could allow these effects to run well on both AMD and Nvidia gpus thats all. I realize that if it doesn't run well then just dont use the effect.

that would be nice, but as you can see, different GPU brands need different GPU drivers because the architectures are completely different

AMD would need to release their own drivers specifically optimized for nvidia features, which they cant do for 3 reasons

1) they dont have enough money

2) they dont even release drivers that often, it takes them weeks after a game is released to have any optimizations or bug fixes

3) the nvidia code is not open source, and AMD would need to have the code to be able to optimize for it

I think a good step would be for AMD to do the same thing, make effects software and cooperate with developers to implement it, then be able to choose the effects based on your brand of GPU

But this runs into the first problem of not enough money

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes

that's why i don't throw fits at disabled settings in grid 2 :^)

but in all honesty, it seems like project cars and arkham knight influenced the community in a negative way about gameworks

Because the internet likes to sensationalize everything and make a mountain out of a molehill, just like how they all complain about sensational headlines about some "Guy who short up a school played Call of Duty #GamerGate" or some shit.

Everyone just needs to calm the fook down

Great that's what Fallout needs - bloatware for free marketing cash... fucking hell lol...

Well for the first time in this game history that I've followed closely since my childhood, and Fallout one of my favorite games, I won't buy this game.

Well done bethesda, well done, you lost a loyal customer for the sake of marketing, for one of the features that's ruining pc gaming.