Even more bad news for popcorn time

CtW

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/popcorn-time-chaos-triggers-more-downtime-151023/ http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/21/9585984/browser-popcorn-returns-new-developer http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/23/popcorn-time-creators-back-away-from-copyrighted-content-with-project-butter/

There's a ton of stuff going on right now with this service (Which I use a decent amount actually) so I'm only going to cover what is in this article. A simple google search will lead you to a ton more articles, many of which are on the Verge 

It began on Monday when news broke that several of the core developers had decided to leave the PopcornTime.io project, fearing a possible lawsuit.

Soon after, the application’s .io domain name stopped working, a domain that was controlled by one of the departed team members. Yesterday these issues seemed to be resolved but the comeback didn’t last long.

The Popcorn Time team has just informed TorrentFreak that they have lost control again. They put in a request to transfer the domain to a new owner but their service provider Gandi.net just retracted the changes.

“In the last few days someone has been tempering with our infrastructure, mainly our DNS service, and we can’t convince our provider Gandi.net that we are us and want to stay online,” the Popcorn Time teams says.

The domain was supposed to be transferred to one of the remaining developers, who’s also a business associate of the current domain owner, but Gandi is refusing to cooperate.

As a result the infrastructure of the main Popcorn Time fork is no longer working, nor are people able to download new copies of the popular application.

It’s unclear how long the problem will persist but the developers are not throwing in the towel just yet.

“We’re doing our best to maintain the service but today we can’t give any timeline of things getting better. Please hang on, we’re working day and night to get this sorted out,” they say.

Meanwhile, various other Popcorn Time developments are only complicating the situation.

Popular torrent site and release group YTS, also known as YIFY, has been down for days as well. Since YTS is used as the main torrent resource by many Popcorn Time applications, these are also unable to stream movies.

Finally, there’s the Browser Popcorn website, which gained mainstream attention over the past week. While this site has nothing to do with any of the applications, it does add to the chaos, resulting in inaccurate news reports all around.

It will probably take a few more days before the dust settles, or for everything to fall apart. Considering the turbulent events of the past few days, it could go either way.

I've heard some things about how they're changing servers and might get back online soon as well as the fact that this might be connected to the MPAA (surprise, surprise), but for now the service isn't working, except for the anime portion of it. (which makes me very happy as I use it in combination w/ svp to watch animoo @ 77hz). I'm really not surprised that this has happened though, as popcorn time has been targeted for the last few months by numerous people/organizations due to how easy it makes it to torrent movies and tv shows. I do hope that they get their shit together and fix this thing since I use it on a fairly regular basis due to the svp thing I mentioned earlier. They have annouced a new thing called "butter" which basically allows you to make your own version of popcorn time and does not directly link to anything copyright related. 

if your going to torrent, at least do it right.

The feature that allows you to search KAT for torrents to watch still works, so that's what I use. Usually, If I can get a movie legit via netflix or comcast's online streaming thing I will. If I can't, I won't.

10/10 really bad torrentors.

I don't even use popcorn. And I still watch my movies still fine. Still sucks for the people of Popcorn. Hopefully they won't let silly lawsuits take them out.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I used PT for its interface and easy for people not tech savvy to use in my house. Before it was, I'll show you how to torrent which quickly turned to let me know what you want torrented and I'll put it on the HTPC for you, but once i found out about PT with TV and Movies its taken alot from me with no longer being the source and it being easy to use has been nice. Back to the ol' grind I guess.

That's like saying "Problems ahead for X torrent site" yeah kill one and 100 spring to life. Besides you don't really need popcorn time to stream bit torrent downloads

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, the only "right" way to torrent is to just torrent legal stuff, right?

well technically yes.

I mean proper setup tho :)

That's like saying "Problems ahead for X torrent site" yeah kill one and 100 spring to life. Besides you don't really need popcorn time to stream bit torrent downloads

Well given that this was the first netflix like service for torrents that gained a significant amount of traction that was just as easy to use, news about this is more significant as there aren't any alternatives that are as widely known.

Or you could just.... you know.... Not steal your movies

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well given that this was the first netflix like service for torrents that gained a significant amount of traction that was just as easy to use, news about this is more significant as there aren't any alternatives that are as widely known.

I see your point: it has some popularity and simplicity that would maybe cut down on more casual users (thinking back of Napster for example) But as long as digital distribution and pricing continues to be unreasonable (again, much like Napster) even if this service dies out it takes little else to continue elsewhere: People really didn't immediately abandoned piracy or returning to legit means for music until a good while when paid services for streaming and owning digital music started to get it right vs paying 15 or 20 bucks for a CD and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Or you could just.... you know.... Not steal your movies

I hate to be that guy, but piracy is NOT STEALING!

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I hate to be that guy, but piracy is NOT STEALING!

I see you have no conscience, ok then.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I hate to be that gay, but piracy is (NOT) STEALING! 3.33

Man... I'm pretty sure robbing a ship is stealing. 

---- damn wrong post hahaha

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

22295684075_0a512dff1a_k.jpg

I don't really visit the central town that often but I do visit parks frequently. Hopefully I can soon when I get my licence. :(

Winnipeg, Canada

Shot taken by me.

nice picture, but how is that related in any way?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

nice picture, but how is that related in any way?

Wrong tab. My bad.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I see you have no conscience, ok then.

You don't steal something and then share it, piracy is worse then stealing since in most cases p2p you download and share at the same time, there lots of ways to deal with piracy, the right way proper legal alternatives, dealing with pirates punishing them, scaring tactics *cough* remember windows 10 being blocked on trackers ? :D *cough*

You can fight piracy either way without legal alternatives you never get rid of piracy, you provide a legal alternative piracy shrinks and becomes more easy'r to deal with.

There always should be a proper legal alternative, here in the Netherlands what Netflix offers is laughable nothing compared to whats offered for Netflix in the UK or US, whats available in the UK or US is not available in the Netherlands because Netflix won't get streaming license for the region, what happens is people will start using non legal alternatives, which shouldn't even be necessary.

When you pirate something, the orginal is not taken away, so it's not stealing, it's copying.

https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-is-not-theft-111104/

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

When you pirate something, the orginal is not taken away, so it's not stealing, it's copying.https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-is-not-theft-111104/

It's an interesting question actually... how to classify it.

On the list of reasons why it's not so bad, he's right, with piracy you don't take the original away, just copy it. However, unlike traditional theft, you are then able to copy it again and again to others with ease. And herein lies the problem. Reports are occassionally published estimating the total revenue loss due to piracy on a yeaely basis. While these reports often falsely assume that every pirated copy a lost sale, some of them certainly are and in that way, it is theft of money.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Read my post. 

e6a30cb378a3fc35eec0faa044f4ccdc.png

Read my post. 

e6a30cb378a3fc35eec0faa044f4ccdc.png

You circled the wrong one, it's the last definition that's being discussed here :)

You circled the wrong one, it's the last definition that's being discussed here :)

Man... I've been talking about pirates of the sea, check my earlier. 

Man... I've been talking about pirates of the sea, check my earlier.

I know, but no one else has

I know, but no one else has

k and? 

Hahahahaha obviously not talking about that kind of piracy xD

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)