Why are Corsair PSU's Garbage?

Go to solution Solved by Decon,

Only certain corsair PSU's are bad, namely the CX line because of poor capacitors used in order to cut costs.  People also used to complain about the RM series being overpriced.  Other than that they generally source pretty solid PSUs.  Remember, with PSUs all you should care about is who the OEM was, not the brand that made it.  I personally have an AX860 and an HX1000w (old unit from ~2008) and they both still run fine. 

I am curious.

Why do people consider the Corsair PSU's as bad-quality PSU's? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why, so hopefully a few of you could answer. =)

Also, why do you suggest a certain type of PSU instead?

Only certain corsair PSU's are bad, namely the CX line because of poor capacitors used in order to cut costs.  People also used to complain about the RM series being overpriced.  Other than that they generally source pretty solid PSUs.  Remember, with PSUs all you should care about is who the OEM was, not the brand that made it.  I personally have an AX860 and an HX1000w (old unit from ~2008) and they both still run fine. 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

They consider corsair CX series PSUs bad because many people will put them in higher end systems. 

Corsair does make quality units.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Because the internal components are of bad quality, especially the capacitors. And also because they have a rated heat tolerance of only 30 degrees.

I am curious.

Why do people consider the Corsair PSU's as bad-quality PSU's? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why, so hopefully a few of you could answer. =)

Also, why do you suggest a certain type of PSU instead?

There are many Corsair PSUs that are stellar. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well the parts aren't up to Gaming standards\

I don't like the way you phrased that. Gaming isn't necessarily demanding, nor does "gaming" imply highest quality. Electrical load is electrical load regardless of what is being powered on that particular rail.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I bet this forum has had a huge impact on CX  psu sales.. On that note the rest of corsairs lineup are fairly good. 

I don't like the way you phrased that. Gaming isn't necessarily demanding, nor does "gaming" imply highest quality. Electrical load is electrical load regardless of what is being powered on that particular rail.

Gaming "marketing way"

"Not up to high end standards"

better?

do i get warning point for you not liking how i phrased it :c

There are many Corsair PSUs that are stellar. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig.

Very, very informative!

I especially love your SeaSonic description. Made me chuckle!  :lol:

They're honestly not, maybe 1 or 2 of their series are, but as with most brands they have 1 or 2 that are bad, people just always accidently go for the bad Corsair ones because they're priced like good ones, I have an RM 750 and it's great, never had one problem.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Forum has a lot of hate on CX PSUs but whatever since my PC is fine on a CX.

CX PSUs are fine to use, just people start jumping on the hate wagon. 

Most Corsair PSU's are actually really good however the can tend to be overpriced at times- the only Corsair PSU's that are not great are the CX & CXM PSU's however being someone who's owned and used one for over 1.5 years (and built with many) that I can say they're not terrible, they're not bad, they're just not as good as most other PSU's in their price range, the reason being they don't have very high quality capacitors and have a high temperature sensitivity meaning that around 30C (which with proper cooling your PSU shouldn't hit) the performance of the unit will begin to degrade.

Forum has a lot of hate on CX PSUs but whatever since my PC is fine on a CX.
CX PSUs are fine to use, just people start jumping on the hate wagon.

Yeah, people give a lot of hate to Corsair about it but from experience using about 10 CX/CXM units I can say with certainty that they're decent units, just not great like higher end ones- obviously.

-snip-

Honestly there is nothing more annoying on this forum than that video. I feel warning points should be given for it at this point, it's just tasteless trolling.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

They consider corsair CX series PSUs bad because many people will put them in higher end systems. 

Corsair does make quality units.

although the RM's are verry overpriced as @Decon said. Seriously. $110 for a 750watt that's mid range in terms of quality?

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

To make it clear, it's only the CX series that we don't recommend. In terms of build quality....

CX/VS ---> CS ---> RM ---> HX/HXi ---> AX/AXi (I know the AX is Seasonic and AXi is Flextronics) 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

My CX750M worked for about 7-8 months, but not my PC just turns off by itself sometimes. No warning, nothing, on then off. Massdrop need a PSU on there so I can buy a new one :)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

You would have been better off naming the thread 'Why are people stupid?'

Corsair and many other companies don't even make power supplies, they simply resell other manufacturer's platforms.

If you do some research with reputable sources such as Jonnyguru you will find in fact that the absolute highest rated PSU they've ever tested was...... a Corsair unit.

The vast majority of Corsair's units are actually very good, but this forum has a few suspect members who keep posting the same video about one particular model. It got old around the second time it was reposted, now it's just played out.

Corsair and many other companies don't even make power supplies, they simply resell other manufacturer's platforms.

If you do some research with reputable sources such as Jonnyguru you will find in fact that the absolute highest rated PSU they've ever tested was...... a Corsair unit.

The vast majority of Corsair's units are actually very good, but this forum has a few suspect members who keep posting the same video about one particular model. It got old around the second time it was reposted, now it's just played out.

Played out or not the point still stands. 

although the RM's are verry overpriced as @Decon said. Seriously. $110 for a 750watt that's mid range in terms of quality?

But high end in terms of performance. The RM series is overpriced, but I would not call it bad. 

JohnnyGuru even agrees with me.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Played out or not the point still stands.

Sorry, I am new to the computing world and whenever I picked a corsair PSU then a lot of people on PCPartPicker told me to use a Seagate or a certain EVGA PSU instead. I had no idea why they suggested those and so I wanted to find out here.

I realize that I should not have used the word "garbage" and from the many replies (mostly identical) I've learned that it's only certain types of Corsair CPU's that are bad. Thank you STRMfrmXMN for pointing that out.

I don't understand why people were very annoyed and mad at me for using for asking this... it's not like I called out a human being. =/ Oh well I guess.

The CX/CXM series, Most of the RM series of PSUs (Not the RM 850), the Corsair TX V1/TXM (80+ and 80+ Bronze) are not the best PSUs to buy. There are other power supplies made by Corsair that are high quality like the TX V2 series, The Old HX series (80+ Gold, but unsure about the 80+ Silver) and the new HXi(80+ Platinum), the old AX (80+ Gold) and the new AX/AXi (80+ Platinum) and the new RMi and RMx series of PSUs are the high quality units from corsair.