META.01, Glass on steroids

Samdb

meta01.png

Looking at the prototype you may think that this will be a colossal waste of time. However after some reading you may think differently. META.01 combines technology seen in devices such as Google Glass and combines it with the features that the Kinect sensor has to offer, with a tonne of features which are similar to Oculus Rift, however have added functionality. One feature that stood out to me was the 3D printing feature; the user was able to design an object using the device and then print the object for use, without the use of a computer or any wires, seamlessly.

Another feature in the video was the gameplay section, where you are able to see a first person shooter game acted out as if you were the character, interacting with your surroundings and creating dynamic gameplay which could be very interesting if properly implemented. This somewhat reminded me of the VGHS game scenes in which the players would be acting out their actions in game, which could now be possible due to the META.01.

Note: There is a very interesting video on Engadget's site, check it out.

Original Article: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/17/meta-smart-glasses-steve-mann-mediated-reality/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/17/meta-smart-glasses-steve-mann-mediated-reality/

this is cool but right now its too bulky :(  hopefully they can shrink it to about the size of normal glasses. I don't care about the computing power of my glasses though and would actually rather have amd sky or nvidia grid powering the actually demanding tasks in favor of a smaller form factor.

this is cool but right now its too bulky :(  hopefully they can shrink it to about the size of normal glasses. I don't care about the computing power of my glasses though and would actually rather have amd sky or nvidia grid powering the actually demanding tasks in favor of a smaller form factor.

The final render on Engadget's site looks just like a pair of sunglasses.

it looks like meth 1 XD

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

The Meta02 looks amazing, I was waiting for some technology parts to fly at it and attatch to it, but if they can actually get augmented reality glasses in such a form factor, you can has all my moneys.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Image above the video looks like a pair of Oakleys. Would get them if they looked like that instead of the 1 in the video.

Google glass looks pretty terrible as well.

When the designs get better then I'll look into getting these.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The possibilities with tech like this are incredible.

Interactive tech tutorials overlaid on top of your computer, highlighting what you do and how. Interactive recipes highlighting the ingredients you need to use and showing you what to do with them. Interactive guide assisting you when working on your car by highlighting the parts you need to work on and displaying a wireframe overlay over the car to let you know exactly where hidden parts are.

Mind = blown. :o

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

This is amazing! Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Also noticed that you can order it for $490 at the official site.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

This is amazing! Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Also noticed that you can order it for $490 at the official site.

For what it gives you, it doesn't actually seem too bad of a price.

I personally think it looks freaking Kool :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Another excuse for security agencies to take more photos of my face in case I turn out to be bin laden 2.0

Another excuse for security agencies to take more photos of my face in case I turn out to be bin laden 2.0

If they don't do this, which I hope they won't, it will probably be amazing.

At a quick glance at the brand/logo, I thought it said METH

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

After Google going through all the effort to try to design and market Google Glass in such a way to ease acceptance as a wearable accessory, I doubt this stands a chance if it looks this way... That's before even considering whether it delivers the experience or not.

This is pretty amazing imo. But its probably going to be very expensive. :(

Would be nice if the meta 01 also acted like sunglasses and can this go over your current glasses?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This is pretty amazing imo. But its probably going to be very expensive. :(

I really hope they can do what LG did with the Nexus 4.