What amp should I get for Micca MB42?

Archarin

So yeah, I don't have speakers right now and was looking to get an amp for Micca MB42's I'd like to spend less than $50. I don't care if it can't drive it to full volume or even close, I'm not into really loud music. I'd like something that's relatively aesthetically pleasing. I'm finally considering adding a subwoofer later down the line. Is something I should / can do? Finally I have ATH-M50Xs right now, so I guess I'd just have my headphones go through my front port on my PC and connect the amp to the back port? Is this how I should connect it? Thank you very much good sirs for any help  :)

Edit: Oh yeah... Do I need a DAC?

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

You don't need-need a DAC. I'd get the SMSL SA-36. Should be about $50.

Tek Syndicate just published a video regarding amp and bookshelf speakers:

Oh God. I knew this was going to start. I disagree with most things said in that video...

The SMSL SA-36 will be fine as @SSL posted. You will jsut need speaker wire to plug into the Miccas. If you want to add a sub you will run the wires to the sub, and then to the speakers. Also you may want to consider getting a crossover upgrade when you have the money. It is a noticeable difference for sound quality. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Another option would be the NOBSound amp/dac/bluetooth thing. I can't say it would be very reliable, but it does seem to be pretty cool for what it can do.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Another option would be the NOBSound amp/dac/bluetooth thing. I can't say it would be very reliable, but it does seem to be pretty cool for what it can do.

Without having any experience with it, I'd be real skeptical of it actually doing 20W into two channels, let alone 30W. The SMSL is a real amp, by contrast.

Oh God. I knew this was going to start. I disagree with most things said in that video...

The SMSL SA-36 will be fine as @SSL posted. You will jsut need speaker wire to plug into the Miccas. If you want to add a sub you will run the wires to the sub, and then to the speakers. Also you may want to consider getting a crossover upgrade when you have the money. It is a noticeable difference for sound quality. 

Uhm, what's a crossover upgrade? And yeah I guess there'll be a flood of people who suddenly want speakers :P

So yeah, I don't have speakers right now and was looking to get an amp for Micca MB42's I'd like to spend less than $50. I don't care if it can't drive it to full volume or even close, I'm not into really loud music. I'd like something that's relatively aesthetically pleasing. I'm finally considering adding a subwoofer later down the line. Is something I should / can do? Finally I have ATH-M50Xs right now, so I guess I'd just have my headphones go through my front port on my PC and connect the amp to the back port? Is this how I should connect it? Thank you very much good sirs for any help  :)

Edit: Oh yeah... Do I need a DAC?

You likely can drive the headphones with your front panel jacks. Try them. If you're happy with the sound, then you don't need an external DAC or an external headphone amplifier.

As for the amp for your speakers, TA2020/2021/2024 amps are often within the $50 price point. For a little bit more, TDA7492 amps like the SMSL SA50 can push quite a bit more current to those speakers.

I use the Lepai LP-2020A+ with mine. Works great. About $25 on Amazon. Dont forget to get speaker wire

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Uhm, what's a crossover upgrade? And yeah I guess there'll be a flood of people who suddenly want speakers :P

The MB42 comes without a crossover, but Micca does offer a crossover for $20 ($30 for MKIII). A crossover pretty much what separates the high and low frequencies and tells the speaker what to play through the tweeter, and what to play through the mid-range driver. 

You likely can drive the headphones with your front panel jacks. Try them. If you're happy with the sound, then you don't need an external DAC or an external headphone amplifier.

As for the amp for your speakers, TA2020/2021/2024 amps are often within the $50 price point. For a little bit more, TDA7492 amps like the SMSL SA50 can push quite a bit more current to those speakers.

Would the LP-2020's suffice? I've heard they may not have enough power. I'd really like to spend less.

Would the LP-2020's suffice? I've heard they may not have enough power. I'd really like to spend less.

For a desktop setup, it might be sufficient for moderate listening levels. If you're not looking for a lot of dynamics, it would likely do. A stronger amp will surely give you better flexibility, however.

I haven't tried them, but this looks tempting for the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANT-Big-Power-50Wx2-TDA7492-Class-T-Amp-HIFI-Digital-Amplifier-24V-5A-Adapter-/141803095110?

For a desktop setup, it might be sufficient for moderate listening levels. If you're not looking for a lot of dynamics, it would likely do. A stronger amp will surely give you better flexibility, however.

I haven't tried them, but this looks tempting for the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANT-Big-Power-50Wx2-TDA7492-Class-T-Amp-HIFI-Digital-Amplifier-24V-5A-Adapter-/141803095110?

Is there one you could recommend from amazon for less than $40? Thank you for being so helpful, I hope I'm not asking for too much  :)

What do you disagree with?

The Lepai 2020 is just fine for desktop use, especially on a budget. I don't understand why anyone would say otherwise.

What do you disagree with?

Fell free to message me if you want to discuss this further.

First would be the recommendation of the more expensive Lepai over the 2020. Most desktops will not be using the full 20w, let alone the 40w, which the Lepai should only be used for budget systems do to the cost savings. Once you go to a larger budget it would be better to save for a more reliable amp like what SMSL offers. 

Next would be recommending studio monitors for less than $100, especially the Behringer. They do not perform what they are worth, and most likely should be avoided do to poor sound and build quality. 

Third would be Logan's super high praise for Monoprice speakers. They are not nearly as good as what Micca or Dayton can offer for the same price. They should only exist for budget home theaters. I will add that Monoprice did use to have really decent bookshelf speakers, but they had to stop selling them since they were almost an exact copy of what Energy was offering.

Speaking of Micca you did not discuss the ability to add a crossover to upgrade in the future, or the MB42x or Dayton Airs. This may be discussed in the $250 video though.

Lastly you did not discuss the option of buying used. That is the best way to get decent speakers for as cheap as possible.

Side note: in the $200 range you can get better sound quality from speakers than you can from headphones.

Side note: in the $200 range you can get better sound quality from speakers than you can from headphones.

Debatable

Debatable

RqkfOu2.jpg

But if you're considering used products....

Also valid point. 

When you get into the world of used speakers the possibilities are endless though. Headphones hold their value a lot better than speakers. You can find $500 (or more) speakers from less than 10 years ago being sold on Craigslist for less than $100. Wanting to compare used speakers vs used headphones is a bad move. 

There is also DIY speakers.

Your limiting factor with speakers will almost always be your room.

Is there one you could recommend from amazon for less than $40? Thank you for being so helpful, I hope I'm not asking for too much  :)

Sorry, there aren't many other <$40 amps in Amazon.

You can get the Lepai LP-2020A+ and upgrade the adapter with something like this if you see the lights blinking during use (you may even try pushing the voltage to 13.5V for a small gain):

http://www.amazon.com/ZOZO-Universal-Regulated-Multi-Voltage-Replacement/dp/B015MQ8NA0

Another option would be to feed the amp from your PC's 12V rail.

The Lepai 2020 is just fine for desktop use, especially on a budget. I don't understand why anyone would say otherwise.

Sitting a meter away from his desired speakers, he'd only get dynamics hitting about ~88-90dB with that amp (if he wants a low distortion output). It's sufficient for most uses, but each person would have a different listening requirement. Normalization and peak compression may be useful for a low-powered setup when playing back demanding content (especially since Lepai bundles a very weak power source). Movies run a 20dB peak over nominal for the main channels, for example (meaning 68-70dB nominal for this setup to maintain undistorted output, unless DRC is utilized).

dynamics hitting about 88-89dB with that amp (if he wants a low distortion output). It's sufficient for most uses

Exactly my point.

Future upgrades are easy, no point in breaking a budget in the mean time.

Also valid point.

When you get into the world of used speakers the possibilities are endless though. Headphones hold their value a lot better than speakers. You can find $500 (or more) speakers from less than 10 years ago being sold on Craigslist for less than $100. Wanting to compare used speakers vs used headphones is a bad move.

There is also DIY speakers.

Your limiting factor with speakers will almost always be your room.

Speakers are dirt cheap on craigslist. People just want to get rid of big speakers and receiver.

I got an Onkyo tx-sr606 for 15$

And 4 Polk r15 for 90$

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."