Need a replacement for my current SSD running windows 10

Oddy
Go to solution Solved by typographie,

Your license ties itself to "your system" (probably meaning the motherboard) but should continue to work after only an SSD swap. Windows 10 seems to activate itself automatically via Microsoft's servers, so don't be surprised if it "just works" without prompting you for your key.

The Windows software is freely available from Microsoft's website. You'll need to set up a USB flash drive or DVD yourself, though.

I have been using an OCZ Vertex 120gb SSD with my system but i seems to be crashing a lot. So i was thinking of upgrading to a new one. My only problem is that i have no installationdisc of windows.. I first downloaded it (illigaly my apologies :( ) and bought an upgradekey afterwards. Do I have to buy Windows again or is there any way i could use my current legal key?

Your license ties itself to "your system" (probably meaning the motherboard) but should continue to work after only an SSD swap. Windows 10 seems to activate itself automatically via Microsoft's servers, so don't be surprised if it "just works" without prompting you for your key.

The Windows software is freely available from Microsoft's website. You'll need to set up a USB flash drive or DVD yourself, though.

What if he backs up his current drive and restores it to the new one?

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

What if he backs up his current drive and restores it to the new one?

I've never actually done that myself. If I had to guess, Windows would probably verify it's activation status, see that it's still installed with a valid product key, and then continue to work just fine.

I've never actually done that myself. If I had to guess, Windows would probably verify it's activation status, see that it's still installed with a valid product key, and then continue to work just fine.

On windows 10, this works just fine. I cloned an old drive with Acronis True Image, and restored it to a new SSD. Worked like a charm, the first time I opened settings on Windows 10 on the newly imaged drive, I simply had to click activate now. 

Worth noting that it is a retail key of Windows 10.