How long should I be spending on my computer?

My mum is really concerned about my education and read somewhere that I should only be spending up to 2 hours a day on my computer. However, at the moment I am only less than 16 years old and I don't have any big tests coming up. Do you think my mum is right? Please let me know your opinions on this ASAP.

Thanks. Louis  :)

if you have to debate whether its too much, then its too much 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

If youre XX you shouldnt be here. you should be studying

i mean, at the age of XX you should still be trying to enjoy your youth, it doesnt last forever but i think if your spending all day on the computer, it isnt very good. but saying that makes me a hypocrite so...

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

And you're asking this on a tech forum and not yourself because?

You guys are all tech users like me. I want to know your opinions on this :3

And you're asking this on a tech forum and not yourself because?

a second opinion is always nice, no matter how obvious the answer is 

i mean, at the age of 11 you should still be trying to enjoy your youth, it doesnt last forever but i think if your spending all day on the computer, it isnt very good. but saying that makes me a hypocrite so...

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. To be honest, I do spend a lot of time on my computer, but I study when I need to and revise when I need to.. my grades are perfectly fine, so I shouldn't see why my mum is worrying about this :/

"General Discussion"

hes new to the forum and XX, give him a break 

hes new to the forum and XX, give him a break 

this is the internet. no special treatment.

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

My mum is really concerned about my education and read somewhere that I should only be spending up to 2 hours a day on my computer. However, at the moment I am only XX and I don't have any big tests coming up. Do you think my mum is right? Please let me know your opinions on this ASAP.

Thanks. Louis  :)

That you're are actually concerned about what your mum is thinking is a good sign.

That shows me that you're probably quite a bit more mature than other kids in your age.

But back to your questions:

To use a computer for more than two hours is usually not a problem. But you should always try to do something else inbetween and you should also take your time for school and other important stuff. Try to show your mum that you're able to control yourself and help her out in the house, get good notes in school and if she sees that you're doing well then she won't have any problems to let you sit in front of the computer for more than 2 hours.

Also keep in mind that sitting a long time in front of a PC isn't good for your muscles, neck and back.  ;)

this is the internet. no special treatment.

Mhm, and you come across quite arrogant to me, looks like you need to cut people more slack. Damn...

Mhm, and you come across quite arrogant to me, looks like you need to cut people more slack. Damn...

how is that arrogant? You should be at school and outside. Not spending your life at a computer

It depends. Its true that prolonged periods are bad for your eyes and that it could be a distraction from her perspective. I spend almost all day on a computer at work and home, It does not bother me at all. Also age plays a part @XX working on social skills is important for growth and for future social skills for job duties and activities.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

how is that arrogant? You should be at school and outside. Not spending your life at a computer

I can tell by how you put things. Just because I have asked a question about the amount of time that should be spent on a computer, you seem to think that I'm not educated well and I don't go outside. Well, lemme tell you now: You are wrong. I play sports and I do go to school. 

It depends. Its true that prolonged periods are bad for your eyes and that it could be a distraction from her perspective. I spend almost all day on a computer at work and home, It does not bother me at all. Also age plays a part @11 working on social skills is important for growth and for future social skills for jobs duties ect..

To be honest, I've never been a social person. Talking to people online makes me feel more comfortable. 

I can tell by how you put things. Just because I have asked a question about the amount of time that should be spent on a computer, you seem to think that I'm not educated well and I don't go outside. Well, lemme tell you now: You are wrong. I play sports and I do go to school. 

when did I say you werent educated. haha. I play sports and I go to school is a normal thing its not something to be proud of.... Now you seem kind of arrogant. " Look at me, Im eleven i play sport and go to school."

when did I say you werent educated. haha. I play sports and I go to school is a normal thing its not something to be proud of.... Now you seem kind of arrogant. " Look at me, Im eleven i play sport and go to school."

lmao. You told me I should go outside and go to school. Unless you've met me, you wouldn't know whether I do or not.

I spend pretty much 10 hours a day in front of my computer. Back when I was XX, if I wasn't playing piano (spent 8 hours a day on that), I was on the computer. I ate at my computer. 

Except I do mostly productive things, like learn coding. And write. And help people.

I'm fine.

lmao. You told me I should go outside and go to school. Unless you've met me, you wouldn't know whether I do or not.

then why the fuck are you asking people? holy shit youre a hypocrite

haha, what? Ah, i see. It was because you were making assumptions. 

Why do you think I'm asking someone?