To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dmshag

1st new build in almost 2 decades

Posted · Original PosterOP

Here is the link to the parts I've just ordered to build my 1st new PC in almost 20 years: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tT6GCJ

This is intended to be a mild gaming rig. Let me know what you think of my selection. Also, as this is my 1st build using modern architecture, please feel free to give me any tips or tricks you might have about putting together a new system from scratch. For instance: Is there a particular order of operations I should follow when putting things together? Also, can I or should I try to get the latest bios/driver for my mobo/cpu/gpu/etc before I hook up my SDD/HDDs or install my OS? And advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I'll post pics to this thread once the parts get here.

Follow this guide:

That's basically it.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Looks good to me. I prefer EVGA G2/GS power supplies, but that's mostly due to personal preference. Install Windows and let it run through all the basic updates before installing anything else, then proceed to update the BIOS. After that install all the latest drivers, and your programs. Good luck!

blackshades on

Afaik you can't get drivers and such until you install the OS :P and when installing windows, only have the SSD plugged in, apparently windows install can fuck up if multiple drives are connected.

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Id get a different psu and 980ti the msi has a tonne of coil whine issues

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

"How are we going to stop school shootings?" "More guns!"

My build is pretty much the same thing, you can look at it for a reference if need be.

I would recommend the EVGA 850 G2 as well. (Or any other wattage equivalent.) 

CPU: i7-6700k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61 (Pull) | Mobo: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: Zotac 1080 Amp! Extreme
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | HDD: WD 2TB Black | Case: NZXT H440 White | PSU: EVGA 850 G2

Posted · Original PosterOP

Id get a different psu and 980ti the msi has a tonne of coil whine issues

Which PSU would you recommend? And why not the Corsair?

I also would do EVGA psu and GPU .. other than that ... Should be sexy

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540