1st new build in almost 2 decades

Dmshag

Here is the link to the parts I've just ordered to build my 1st new PC in almost 20 years: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tT6GCJ

This is intended to be a mild gaming rig. Let me know what you think of my selection. Also, as this is my 1st build using modern architecture, please feel free to give me any tips or tricks you might have about putting together a new system from scratch. For instance: Is there a particular order of operations I should follow when putting things together? Also, can I or should I try to get the latest bios/driver for my mobo/cpu/gpu/etc before I hook up my SDD/HDDs or install my OS? And advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I'll post pics to this thread once the parts get here.

Follow this guide:

That's basically it.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Looks good to me. I prefer EVGA G2/GS power supplies, but that's mostly due to personal preference. Install Windows and let it run through all the basic updates before installing anything else, then proceed to update the BIOS. After that install all the latest drivers, and your programs. Good luck!

blackshades on

Afaik you can't get drivers and such until you install the OS :P and when installing windows, only have the SSD plugged in, apparently windows install can fuck up if multiple drives are connected.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Id get a different psu and 980ti the msi has a tonne of coil whine issues

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Id get a different psu and 980ti the msi has a tonne of coil whine issues

Which PSU would you recommend? And why not the Corsair?

I also would do EVGA psu and GPU .. other than that ... Should be sexy

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540