Fallout 4 PC Disc Will Not Contain The Entire Game on PC

cool, yeah piracy prevention, but it helps decreas download time from steam.

I'm happy with this, thanks bethesda !

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Put the entire game on the disk and then charging a premium for the Physical copy would have been ideal. Yes there are people with out internet or people with shitty enough internet that this would steer them away from the purchase. DRM based on holding back files is just fucking stupid. Like many have said one person buys it downloads the needed files... Your games will get pirated, accept the fact and move on. If you want 0 piracy do always on DRM and watch that cluster fuck blow up in your face. Or invest less money in bullshit like servers to download additional files for physical copies and sell more games. Brain dead Execs, leads to this shit. Yes I will buy this on steam, and I don't own a DVD drive but for the love of god, learn from other companies mistakes in video game sells. 

I disagree. And according to this threads poll 130-49 agree this was a wrong (and shitty) move by Bethesda.

yes because this forum is an accurate representation of what is really going on, you can cling to your strawpolls all you want but...92% of people dont care. 

sorry but physical media in pc games is dying and there is no getting away from that.....

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

yes because this forum is an accurate representation of what is really going on, you can cling to your strawpolls all you want but...92% of people dont care.

sorry but physical media in pc games is dying and there is no getting away from that.....

It's a shame. Digital shit is nothing like say, the Witcher 3 with the 25-page hard cover book and other collectibles. For people who like physical copies of games and like the things that come with them is something that digital bullshit can never touch. And how about the people who have a data cap? They're alienating those people with stupid decisions like this. It's s dick move and a big fuck you to those who think they're getting a real product especially those who rely on physical copies because of data limits.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Do you know how cheap a disc is?

you clearly have no idea how EXPENSIVE discs are.

you have to pay for the discs(which is cheap yes), you have to pay for the manufacturing to burn and label each disk(again, not that much), but you also have to pay transportation, and you actually have to rent shelf space which is absurdly expensive.  selling physical discs is actually extremely cost inefficient.(i read and article on it somewhere that i cant find atm).

they need to just stick to digital downloads.  and stop shipping disks that just have the download launcher on it. fallout 4 isnt the first game to do this, not even close.  im not mad that bethesda is doing it, im mad that the entire industry does it

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

you clearly have no idea how EXPENSIVE discs are.

you have to pay for the discs(which is cheap yes), you have to pay for the manufacturing to burn and label each disk(again, not that much), but you also have to pay transportation, and you actually have to rent shelf space which is absurdly expensive.  selling physical discs is actually extremely cost inefficient.(i read and article on it somewhere that i cant find atm).

they need to just stick to digital downloads.  and stop shipping disks that just have the download launcher on it. fallout 4 isnt the first game to do this, not even close.  im not mad that bethesda is doing it, im mad that the entire industry does it

i fail to see how putting an extra disc in the disc tray will make your business crash and burn

i fail to see how putting an extra disc in the disc tray will make your business crash and burn

it wont.  but its industry standard at this point.   they should just do away with physical copies entirely

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

it wont.  but its industry standard at this point.   they should just do away with physical copies entirely

unfortunately, not every country has super-duper-fast internet

so it might be an industry standard but it's definitely not a worldwide standard

and your post is just plain selfish

For users that have slow Internet, why not just sell Blu-ray discs instead of DVDs?  A person with poor Internet is more likely to have a Blu-ray drive in their PC I'd imagine.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

oh well, no FO4 for me and my 284kB/s internet speed

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It's a shame. Digital shit is nothing like say, the Witcher 3 with the 25-page hard cover book and other collectibles. For people who like physical copies of games and like the things that come with them is something that digital bullshit can never touch. And how about the people who have a data cap? They're alienating those people with stupid decisions like this. It's s dick move and a big fuck you to those who think they're getting a real product especially those who rely on physical copies because of data limits.

You mean that overpriced tat they add to get you to part with more of your money, because personally I'd rather just have the game. And still even with those included the fact remains digital is the way forward

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

It's a nice compromise, to be honest.  You have a "head start" on the download, if you will, so it's a plus for those with slower Internet speeds, without completely eliminating the need for a CD.  And I'd be willing to bet the Day 1 patch will be snuck onto the download while some people will be downloading.

[witty signature]

Well, I've been running that particular BD-R drive in my system for about 2 months now and only problem so far has been software-related (namely: the BS implemented by Disney for Avengers: Age of Ultron BluRay that makes it impossible to play in VLC).

I do have to wonder, who made the SATA DVD drive that died on you? I've not yet had a problem with ASUS & LG items for parts like optical drives or monitors (running pair of LG Flatron E2441's right now).

Texas Instruments. It is in sort-of working order but I can't attatch the data or power cables to it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Assuming development = internet speeds is not always accurate, you know Australia exists.

To be honest ,the real question should be why ISPs still use data caps and still refuse to pay for infrastructure when their profits are booming? Most of the time data caps are pointless in a traffic control sense.

It keeps people from just leaving torrents or NetFlix on all day. It makes sense in a way. Sure, if you're in Aus, you might not have issues where your speeds drop because of network congestion. In more populated areas, it's a very real issue. The caps are to try and curb that.

I'm not sure if fiber is the same way, hopefully not as that's getting installed in a lot of places these days.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's unfortunate for people with terrible download speed, but that's just the reality of today's world.

Even if they refuse to acknowledge that console piracy is also a thing... And that this sort of "anti piracy" measure is entirely pointless as the only thing it does, is prevent someone from uploading the full game before release while punishing anyone who doesn't have fast internet but still wants to play on PC instead of console.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's unfortunate for people with terrible download speed, but that's just the reality of today's world.

Even if they refuse to acknowledge that console piracy is also a thing... And that this sort of "anti piracy" measure is entirely pointless as the only thing it does, is prevent someone from uploading the full game before release while punishing anyone who doesn't have fast internet but still wants to play on PC instead of console.

DRM is always broken. Steam itself only delays the inevitable. Heck, with my Original, soft modded, Xbox I can break the geo blocking on DVD, and to top that off I can then copy it as well regardless of the DRM to the HDD-and while its not the same as games and software, the DRM is rendered useless by a 20 minute or so soft mod to an Xbox and use of its DVD drive.

PMSL

As long as they provide a preload everybody should be fine. If they didn't offer a preload I was intending on buying a physical copy as that would be much quicker for me, as with Fallout 4 I want to be playing that as soon as possible, not 2 or 3 days after launch.

I think that overall, it was a bad move. That's awesome that they're making the DRM Steam instead of something else because that basically means its DRM-free (in the sense that there isn't any shitty software attached to it), but they still should've included the whole game on the disc. 

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

Go find a large game in steam, limit your download bandwidth to 10 megabits per second and then don't use the internet until it's done. Do that and then you can tell me that we should just do away with physical copies.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Go find a large game in steam, limit your download bandwidth to 10 megabits per second and then don't use the internet until it's done. Do that and then you can tell me that we should just do away with physical copies.

And 8 megabits to simulate those that can only get 3g mobile Internet (and that's being generous since I've seen and had it running slower than dialup downloading XP SP3 off the Microsoft website).

PMSL

10Mbit? Why are you so generous :P

It keeps people from just leaving torrents or NetFlix on all day. It makes sense in a way. Sure, if you're in Aus, you might not have issues where your speeds drop because of network congestion. In more populated areas, it's a very real issue. The caps are to try and curb that.

I'm not sure if fiber is the same way, hopefully not as that's getting installed in a lot of places these days.

It makes better sense to throttle when traffic actually occurs not when you cross a data cap, especially when it's unreasonable space  price. If it was daily or week sure, but not monthly that 's obviously just asking for money.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide