Fallout 4 PC Disc Will Not Contain The Entire Game on PC

More money because people will dl it in their quota and will have to buy more space for other non game related stuff. The key word is here, and I know you're aware that some people don't have quotas. With that said, people that do are the ones companies should be thinking of as well, not jist the majority. And that's not the case here. But those people will still have problems with patches etc, but they are the smaller part considering you have to dl almost the full game. 

And I think he meant he wants to see the game pirated just so Bethesda will se this is not an effective practice and won't do this in the future. 

What I want to see is for Bethesda to actually think and give people the option to buy the full game on disc. Do you really think that if people can't download the rest of the game that they'd then go and pirate it-on the same shitty Internet connection that would have been used to download the game?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't recall seeing the figures 

Hey in an ideal world games would have no DRM and would be entirely installable from a disc, then you could keep the single player game working forever even if the servers shut down etc

But its just not the world we live in, so I understand their decision, (not saying I 100% support it)

CDPR has no DRM and no stupid security. You buy the game, it's yours. Their sales were not crippled by piracy (my opinion) as people saw that CDPR is doing the right thing!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

And I think he meant he wants to see the game pirated just so Bethesda will se this is not an effective practice and won't do this in the future. 

The piracy comment was someone else, but companies do not go "people want the game on disc so they pirated it" because that literally makes no sense, they will just think people are being cheap self entitled dicks

CDPR has no DRM and no stupid security. You buy the game, it's yours. Their sales were not crippled by piracy (my opinion) as people saw that CDPR is doing the right thing!

Yep and they are heros for that, and b extension GOG too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What I want to see is for Bethesda to actually think and give people the option to buy the full game on disc. Do you really think that if people can't download the rest of the game that they'd then go and pirate it-on the same shitty Internet connection that would have been used to download the game?

Nah I wasn't talking about that, but the effectivness of this method in general. Pirating it has no logic. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The piracy comment was someone else, but companies do not go "people want the game on disc so they pirated it" because that literally makes no sense, they will just think people are being cheap self entitled dicks

Yep and they are heros for that, and b extension GOG too

I wasn't saying that. Bethesda is doing this method to prevent piracy, but if the game gets pirated w/o a problem there is no point for it, ya? 

I wasn't saying that. Bethesda is doing this method to prevent piracy, but if the game gets pirated w/o a problem there is no point for it, ya? 

And that is something that publishers don't understand.

Now as for the amount of disks and packaging, you can get cases that hold 8 discs, which can either be 4.7GB single layer or 8.5GB dual layer. And that is actually a lot of data stored on them before you take into consideration compression.

Edit: Or there is, you know, blueray.

PMSL

When did they mention piracy? they probably just figure most pc gamers use steam and download the game so why bother shipping it on disc

plus the consoles use Blu Ray so the entire game can fit on, and they dont need 7 DVDs

Edit: Or there is, you know, blueray.

For all 7 people with a blu ray drive, heck many modern PCs and laptops dont even ship with DVD drives, 

I remember when Apple removed the DVD drives from the macs and everyone went "FUCKING HELL" and know nobody even mentions it really

in fact I just did a review of a laptop and completely forgot to mention it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

When did they mention piracy? they probably just figure most pc gamers use steam and download the game so why bother shipping it on disc

plus the consoles use Blu Ray so the entire game can fit on, and they dont need 7 DVDs

Twitter post in thread post. 

Twitter post in thread post. 

Sure but everyone effected needs to do it :) 

asking "does it come on disc" is not the same as going "I will not buy your game unless it comes on disc"

That reminds me, I should really start looking for a good blueray drive to replace my dead SATA DVD drive (it seems that its connectors were made of cheap, brittle plastic, unlike my IDE drives).

LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM @ PCCaseGear, $89 + S&H.

I'm rocking one in my Beast Rig now (still keeping the DL-DVD±R/RW Lightscribe drive in my specs as well though), though you'll need a paid-for program like CyberLink's PowerDVD if you want to watch movies like Avengers: Age of Ultron on BRD, if you normally use VLC. Somewhat mitigated by LG packaging a CD with PowerDVD and other CyberLink software (still, I wouldn't suggest using it though).

~~~

Personally? I'm glad I never gave two shits about FO4 now, if this is the kind of crap Bethesda is going to put their LEGAL CUSTOMERS who LEGALLY PURCHASED THEIR GAME through.

I'm sitting on a 300GB/month (150/150 Peak/Off-Peak split) cap at 8000kbps/384kbps down/up (should be 20-24mbps/1-3mbps down/up, but fuck Hellstra and their "25 years is too new to upgrade a telephone exchange... unless we're over-compensated monetarily to do so" mantra), that 30GB download is 3 solid days worth of bandwidth burnt in an instant (6 days if I tried limiting the download to ONLY 2am & 8am for Off-Peak usage) because Bethesda was too fucking lazy to bother making a set of 7 (uncompressed) installation DVD's when it costs barely $0.20 AUD/disc for a spindle of 50 blank (SL)DVD-R's (particularly when you factor in the plastic for the spindle/case and shrinkwrap). Sure, it's slightly more expensive to use the DL DVD-R's, but even then you'd need to pack only 4 DVD's in the box to fit the game.

I recently installed Diablo II: Lord of Destruction from a set of 4 CD's (D2 Installation Disc, D2 Cinematics Disc, D2 Play Disc, D2:LoD Install/Play Disc) with a total footprint of 1.5GB installation size on the drive and that game is 14-15 years old now (15 years for D2 from 2000, 14 for D2:LoD from 2001). Blizzard could easily re-release it on a single DVD to install and play from now (if they were bothered) for the BattleChest.

Personally? I'm glad I never gave two shits about FO4 now, if this is the kind of crap Bethesda is going to put their LEGAL CUSTOMERS who LEGALLY PURCHASED THEIR GAME through

I am curious to know how many people this genuinely effects, considering how prevalent steam is and how large the percentage of digital downloads is compared to disc installs

LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM @ PCCaseGear, $89 + S&H.

I'm rocking one in my Beast Rig now (still keeping the DL-DVD±R/RW Lightscribe drive in my specs as well though), though you'll need a paid-for program like CyberLink's PowerDVD if you want to watch movies like Avengers: Age of Ultron on BRD, if you normally use VLC. Somewhat mitigated by LG packaging a CD with PowerDVD and other CyberLink software (still, I wouldn't suggest using it though).

~~~

Personally? I'm glad I never gave two shits about FO4 now, if this is the kind of crap Bethesda is going to put their LEGAL CUSTOMERS who LEGALLY PURCHASED THEIR GAME through.

I'm sitting on a 300GB/month (150/150 Peak/Off-Peak split) cap at 8000kbps/384kbps down/up (should be 20-24mbps/1-3mbps down/up, but fuck Hellstra and their "25 years is too new to upgrade a telephone exchange... unless we're over-compensated monetarily to do so" mantra), that 30GB download is 3 solid days worth of bandwidth burnt in an instant (6 days if I tried limiting the download to ONLY 2am & 8am for Off-Peak usage) because Bethesda was too fucking lazy to bother making a set of 7 (uncompressed) installation DVD's when it costs barely $0.20 AUD/disc for a spindle of 50 blank (SL)DVD-R's (particularly when you factor in the plastic for the spindle/case and shrinkwrap). Sure, it's slightly more expensive to use the DL DVD-R's, but even then you'd need to pack only 4 DVD's in the box to fit the game.

I recently installed Diablo II: Lord of Destruction from a set of 4 CD's (D2 Installation Disc, D2 Cinematics Disc, D2 Play Disc, D2:LoD Install/Play Disc) with a total footprint of 1.5GB installation size on the drive and that game is 14-15 years old now (15 years for D2 from 2000, 14 for D2:LoD from 2001). Blizzard could easily re-release it on a single DVD to install and play from now (if they were bothered) for the BattleChest.

Is the plastic used for the connectors good? Because the plastic on my DVD drive is falling to bits and I only bought it at the start of last year (seriously, I've got CD drives from 1995 that have no perishing at all-and the original bands, and yet my first SATA optical drive barely lasted 18 months).

PMSL

When as much as 90% of your income is from console versions of the game,  you have to have some DRMs on pc. 

But buying a physical copy of a game and getting half of it is stupid.

Piracy will never stop, as it is a part of human nature, theft has predated society

I feel like you didn't even finish reading my comment, you just saw "Piracy will only stop" and then started typing your reply. People pirate because they're entitled little pricks, if they stop being entitled little pricks, they stop pirating. That's how it works.

I feel like you didn't even finish reading my comment, you just saw "Piracy will only stop" and then started typing your reply. People pirate because they're entitled little pricks, if they stop being entitled little pricks, they stop pirating. That's how it works.

*Also, if services were provided that are better than what is being given by pirates.

PMSL

transport and retailer cut is more a problem

Steam takes a cut to.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Steam takes a cut to.

not nearly as much as transport and retailer fees. gog takes even less and so on

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

not nearly as much as transport and retailer fees. gog takes even less and so on

But no one uses GOG bruv. How would you know ?

And honestly if they weren't making enough profit so you think they would still make physical discs ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

When you buy a disc there should be no ties to anything else.

This ^^^

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It took one of my friends 7 days to download destiny and he lives in Melbourne, Australia, It's still far too early to go digital when we have 1st world Countries still with 3rd world internet!

But no one uses GOG bruv. How would you know ?

And honestly if they weren't making enough profit so you think they would still make physical discs ?

im a game dev

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is so fucking stupid. I like having a physical copy of things.

not to single you out but move on its called progress

Why does it cost money after the fact? as long as you only download inside your quota you dont pay any extra money, and internet quotas are slowly becoming a thing of the past, heck you can get free broadband here with unlimited downloads (just pay line rental)

yeah but we live in a shitty nanny state with our fast un capped internet, free health care at the point of use and low gun crime.......

When as much as 90% of your income is from console versions of the game,  you have to have some DRMs on pc. 

But buying a physical copy of a game and getting half of it is stupid.

where did you pull that figure from......90% try 50%

there really are some entitled ****** in the pc gamer market   in august of last year 92% of all pc game sales were digital downloads.  92%, that means all you people with shitty internet or who "like physical copies" are seriously in the minority.   its time to move on. personally i would be grateful there is some content on the disk vs digital only.

oh and all those saying that this is a good excuse for piracy .......not even close and thats coming from me!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Who is we? There are people in parts of the world who have no option for better internet, and I'm not talking about 3rd world countries.

Like Canada! That's not even the only first-world country that has notoriously shitty internet.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

yeah but we live in a shitty nanny state with our fast un capped internet, free health care at the point of use and low gun crime.......

there really are some entitled ****** in the pc gamer market   in august of last year 92% of all pc game sales were digital downloads.  92%, that means all you people with shitty internet or who "like physical copies" are seriously in the minority.   its time to move on. personally i would be grateful there is some content on the disk vs digital only.

hahaha well said

Yeah thanks for finding the figure, 92%, and thats last year, I imagine this year its even higher, so 5% of the audience for 1 game out of 5000 doesnt have a disc version, 

very few people are effect, and thats just the way companies work, they arent going to spends millions shipping out DVD versions when it accounts for very little sales

I don't know if it's the right call, but I don't like it. It sucks for people who have slow download speed and data caps, and it also sucks for people who didn't want to have to use Steam to play the game.

do you know how much time it takes to burn each disc?

then transport it?

honestly games on discs should be dead.

Paying for shelf space in the store is also really expensive.