Fallout 4 PC Disc Will Not Contain The Entire Game on PC

there comes a poitn where you have to draw a line in the sand. As technology moves on people will be sad. Its the same as the XP support issue or the win7 support that will end at some point in the future or the radios ditching analogue. Go back further and see the outrage with vinyl or tape. There are losers in this, there always are but sustainably matters more

However the transition becomes frustrating for people like me who are willing to pay a good amount for a good connection speed - and have also been guaranteed the availability of it was already there 18 months ago - to then be told that their cabinet is still just under consideration for upgrading.

By that logic, there should not be any physical versions for the consoles.

By console logic, most things are skewed.

Sig under construction.

They did this to stop piracy? These people are so stupid! :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It keeps people from just leaving torrents or NetFlix on all day. It makes sense in a way. Sure, if you're in Aus, you might not have issues where your speeds drop because of network congestion. In more populated areas, it's a very real issue. The caps are to try and curb that.

I'm not sure if fiber is the same way, hopefully not as that's getting installed in a lot of places these days.

no data caps are there to avoid upgrading the infrastructure. 

It makes better sense to throttle when traffic actually occurs not when you cross a data cap, especially when it's unreasonable space. If it was daily or week sure, but not monthly that 's obviously just asking for money.

again it makes better sense to upgrade the hardware and remove caps all together.

in the uk most of the big providers offer uncapped unthrottled high speed internet, even the worst offender, virgin, has changed there throttling so they only throttle the upstream. the main network is owned and operated by BT who have to offer it to rivals at a fair price, this means we have 10+ companies offering cheap high-speed broadband and lots of competition.

but again just a nanny state and the government shouldnt keep meddling right?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

no data caps are there to avoid upgrading the infrastructure. 

again it makes better sense to upgrade the hardware and remove caps all together.

in the uk most of the big providers offer uncapped unthrottled high speed internet, even the worst offender, virgin, has changed there throttling so they only throttle the upstream. the main network is owned and operated by BT who have to offer it to rivals at a fair price, this means we have 10+ companies offering cheap high-speed broadband and lots of competition.

but again just a nanny state and the government shouldnt keep meddling right?

Exactly on point.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Rockstar put GTA 5 on 7 damn discs, Bethesda can't even put the full game on it smh. Discs are still important to me, 2mb/s down and 500kb/s up is damn painful and having a physical copy makes installing the game via disc saves me so much damn time.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

This is just stupid, won't even do a thing to piracy, only push more people towards it probably.

Oh i remember the day steam launched... read in several different places how its going to be such a good thing for prices. Because the middle man is cut out so it saves money. Games will become cheaper! All hail lord GabeN!!!! Yeah right, games have in fact only become more expensive. Or at least stayed at exactly the same price so they make more money off of them.

And of course they blame piracy for it all. Especially if the game doesn't do well, because no way the game is just bad and not worth the money..... I buy so few games these days, most not worth it. I still don't get why PC games were never released on bluray, drives are cheap, just do it!

oh and i don't pirate these days either, also have 100/100Mbit internet. It's just ridiculous that people with slow and capped internet can't even get this game. They're basically just selling a broken product that you can't use.... its actually nothing.

I have no signature

Rockstar put GTA 5 on 7 damn discs, Bethesda can't even put the full game on it smh. Discs are still important to me, 2mb/s down and 500kb/s up is damn painful and having a physical copy makes installing the game via disc saves me so much damn time.

But the real question is...

Do you even Muzz.

For a VP of marketing this guy really doesn't known how to articulate himself clearly. All of his tweets are easily misinterpreted and may not even mean what we now have concluded. I understand that tweeter doesn't allow that many characters (although wasn't that changed?), but still. "Piracy." What do you mean by that? Are you incapable of formulating entire sentences?

"Ah. No, there is data on the disk" on the fallout disk? I suppose so... Where else right?

They should send this guy back to school.

Portentouslad out!

Hmmm, sounds better then having people buy a retail box with just a steam download code in it, some game did that but cant remember which exactly, might have been COD.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with download code's, but when you put up a retail box etc only to sell it with a download code instead of a CD that contains the game or code or whatever is kinda shitty.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

unfortunately, not every country has super-duper-fast internet

so it might be an industry standard but it's definitely not a worldwide standard

and your post is just plain selfish

It's also unfortunate that every place in the U.S., or probably every other country, has super-duper-fast, fast, slow, or hell ANY internet. (Maybe they have a phone that they can tether their ?g data plan to, but for most, you pass that cap and there's either nothing else for the rest of the month or get charged excessive amounts.)

True, the people that I talk about are safe from direct piracy since that's nearly all online, but this is not an insignificant number of people.

That'd perform like shit.

then they need to send it in a USB 3 drive if i buy a physical copy i should have a physical media. inb4 someone says "that would suck it wouldnt perform right".  works just fine with all my steam games and origin games running off of my external hard drive right now almost the same performance as off my SSD and guess what if i go over to friends house can just grab my external hdd and plug it in and sign into my steam account and all of the games are there 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

For users that have slow Internet, why not just sell Blu-ray discs instead of DVDs?  A person with poor Internet is more likely to have a Blu-ray drive in their PC I'd imagine.

well EXTREMELY few have BD players in their pc's. multiple DVD's isn't bad and probably costs less than a BD disc but that part I don't know for fact.

also to anyone bullshitting about an "industry standard" it isn't. every console game is still sold with a game 100% on the disc (well as far as what isn't dlc) minus indie games so why are people on PC so accepting of this shitty practice? what happens when you've been parading for no physical media and all of a sudden you ISP slaps you with a 30 GB data cap and 50 bucks per "block" more of data? you won't be liking that "industry standard" as much then will you?

full disclosure, I don't have a data cap and pretty fast internet and what Bethesda is doing is scumy (makes it really obvious how deep their deal with Valve goes)

I was thinking about getting this game. Since I have to use a shitty service like steam, I'll pass.  

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Why don't they just start moving games to USB 3.0 flash drives? This would solve all the issues.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Why don't they just start moving games to USB 3.0 flash drives? This would solve all the issues.

Even USB 2.0 flash drives would be fine-considering the 32GB sticks that I own are able to sustain around 30MB/sec-which is faster than any optical media.

well EXTREMELY few have BD players in their pc's. multiple DVD's isn't bad and probably costs less than a BD disc but that part I don't know for fact.

also to anyone bullshitting about an "industry standard" it isn't. every console game is still sold with a game 100% on the disc (well as far as what isn't dlc) minus indie games so why are people on PC so accepting of this shitty practice? what happens when you've been parading for no physical media and all of a sudden you ISP slaps you with a 30 GB data cap and 50 bucks per "block" more of data? you won't be liking that "industry standard" as much then will you?

full disclosure, I don't have a data cap and pretty fast internet and what Bethesda is doing is scumy (makes it really obvious how deep their deal with Valve goes)

Same here. I'm sitting on 13-15Mb.sec (up to 1.4MB/sec sustained) and the ability to only use 250GB from my 500GB cap np matter what I do, and I still see this as BS as I've been forced to sue the shitty mobile broad band before when I was living with my parents.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

not when the drive fails and you lose the entirety of the game's files.

not when the drive fails and you lose the entirety of the game's files.

That's where you clone it to a HDD. And TBH USB sticks last a really long time if not written to frequently.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

then they need to send it in a USB 3 drive if i buy a physical copy i should have a physical media. inb4 someone says "that would suck it wouldnt perform right".  works just fine with all my steam games and origin games running off of my external hard drive right now almost the same performance as off my SSD and guess what if i go over to friends house can just grab my external hdd and plug it in and sign into my steam account and all of the games are there 

I call bullshit.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

It's not so bad if it's only 10 MB executable. Anything more won't help against piracy anyway. Or they could have encrypted this small file and get decrypted with online connection after release, that would stop pre-release piracy as well and with even less bandwidth cost.

do you know how much time it takes to burn each disc?

then transport it?

honestly games on discs should be dead.

What?... burn discs?

Dude, it's called pressing, you press a metal plate onto the disc and like magic you have a copy.

It's cheap and quite fast to make copies using that method.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I don't get why they are doing this. It doesn't make any sense, except if they want to save a few pennies on the DVDs. You can go on and on about how much the shipping costs and how much the stores take, but the fact of the matter is that those costs won't change if you got 1 or 5 DVDs. It will still be the same.

To stop piracy? Yeah right, as if not having a few GB of the game on the DVD would stop pirates. It probably won't even add an hour to the time it takes to crack it.

at this point its incredibly unsustainable to even make physical copies for pc games. i know those without internet will be sad but honestly we have to move on

Would you say the same thing if you didn't have any internet and you wanted this game badly?

Would you say the same thing if you didn't have any internet and you wanted this game badly?

yes because not having the net dosnt change the facts

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

of course i wouldnt but that would mean i have an agenda as i currently have right now, currently im thinking on the business side, without internet i would think on the personal side. There are always losers but ultimately game companies are businesses, if they dont find profit they will do all in their power to reduce the redundancies. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-will-require-a-steam-download-even-if-you-buy-it-on-disc/

For those with limited data caps, or slow speeds, you might want to consider a few things before the launch day of Fallout 4. PC Gamer reports that, for piracy reasons, those who buy physical copies will only have a part of the game, and will need to download the rest through Steam.

The word came from Pete Hines, Bethesda's Vice President of PR and Marketing, who confirmed on Twitter last week that the physical release of the game will include both a disc and a Steam key, and that the disc will have "actual install data" on it. But in a follow-up, he added that while the game will be installed from the disc, "You will still have to download from Steam. The disc doesn't contain the entire game.

Can't say I blame them. But there is two sides to this coin, on one side, it is an attempt to prevent piracy, which helps support game devs. Whereas users with low data caps and/or low speeds are going to be waiting for ages for the game to download.

If only we all could have Linus' Internet speeds...