Fallout 4 PC Disc Will Not Contain The Entire Game on PC

im a game dev

I mean like big publishers like EA and Ubisoft and AAA devs they don't use EA do they ?

If you meant the cut part then I have to trust you on that.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I mean like big publishers like EA and Ubisoft and AAA devs they don't use EA do they ?

If you meant the cut part then I have to trust you on that.

generally from what ive been told my the other people i know in the market the more that you make the publishers pay(for marketing, stocking and depending on the type of game the legality side) then the more they will want as a cut. Removing the stocking side means they will want less. of course there are two types of publishers, those that will request games to be made and those that are interested in a project and wish to intervene. Sadly ive not dug much into the business sides of this market so its a little hard to tell currently but my professors say that discs for pc games will be extinct in by 2020 for standard editions of games. I fully expect collectors editions to stay physical because they are for collectors. 

Earlier this year was a talk by 505 games that i attended they talked about the physiology between physical and digital and why digital does well on pc but not console and how this makes it harder to sell a lot on launch. A person waiting for a game or device to come out draws more hype then a much of people mashing F5 on a keyboard in their house. It shows dedication and thats where it gets confusing because pc gamers also show dedication but in a different way. 

ive gone way off topic, anyways with the current knowledge that i have big publishers like discs, yes it means they have to pay more up front but it also means they get more profit in the end, for example its the difference between 15 and 20% of a game's profits, if a game sells insanely like project cars then the publishers gets a lot of money. Thats the main reason why you have discs on console, the publishers use that as a scapegoat to get more money. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

*Also, if services were provided that are better than what is being given by pirates.

Perfect example, it's not like stuff is impossible to access, but no, this generation feels so entitled to everything being handfed to them, that buying a disc to watch content is crazy talk, and to pay full price for software is crazy talk, and then when companies add anti-piracy measures like DRMs, they whine really hard.

Perfect example, it's not like stuff is impossible to access, but no, this generation feels so entitled to everything being handfed to them, that buying a disc to watch content is crazy talk, and to pay full price for software is crazy talk, and then when companies add anti-piracy measures like DRMs, they whine really hard.

spot on

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

DRM that makes games perform poorly, DRM that forces games to be online to even play them, DRM that can't recognise a graphics card upgrade. While I don't condone piracy Pirates don't have to go through all of that BS with their games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

DRM that makes games perform poorly, DRM that forces games to be online to even play them, DRM that can't recognise a graphics card upgrade. While I don't condone piracy Pirates don't have to go through all of that BS with their games.

I'm genuinely curious, what game had a DRM that ruined performance? The only thing close I can think of was Sim City being unplayable because EA servers kept crashing for weeks after the release. DRM that forves games to be online, was a countermeasure against piracy, although it probably didn't work.... Also, why would a drm need to recognize a graphics card upgrade? 

I'm genuinely curious, what game had a DRM that ruined performance? The only thing close I can think of was Sim City being unplayable because EA servers kept crashing for weeks after the release. DRM that forves games to be online, was a countermeasure against piracy, although it probably didn't work.... Also, why would a drm need to recognize a graphics card upgrade? 

Denuvo comes to mind.

And BTW, some DRM are known to have security flaws:

http://www.destructoid.com/windows-10-has-killed-securom-and-safedisc-drm-306674.phtml

Edit: And this is the problem with the hardware side of things when hardware is linked to the DRM, http://www.pcgamer.com/ubi-drm-activation-limits-respond-to-graphics-card-changes/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Solvent: Don't buy it

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Far Cry 4 only using the third core

GTA 5 fucking up the G3258? although that was probably coincidence

any uplay game that has an outdated installer failing to launch?

gta 4

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

not to single you out but move on its progress

They can still offer digital AND physical at the same time. Why are you telling me to move on? What's it to you if I like the physical copy? If they are going to offer a "physical copy," all I ask is they don't half-ass it like they did here.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

@VagabondWraith

Retailers aren't stupid and they realize that if the game is available on Steam, the majority of their customers will just buy it on Steam or wait for a Steam sale.  The store will only get traffic from people who value the disk as a collectors item and have shit internet, and unless said gaming store is in a remote area the latter is an ever diminishing demographic.  So the retailers will pressure Bethesda to agree not to undercut them (ex: Not let it go on sale on Steam for a period of time), wholesale the physical to them cheaper, etc.  The end result is Bethesda makes less of a profit, not just due to having to sell the disk, but also in terms of how they can control their pricing, etc.  EB Games in Australia is very active in its pressuring of the publishers to keep digital prices for example, citing all kinds of concerns over their supply chain costs.  

So plenty of us have a vested interest in paying less for the game by killing physical copies.  Steam's own data from their sales shows that lower prices can lead to higher profits since additional consumers give the same a try when it goes on sale.  So the day physical days is a great day in terms of the items I wish to consume getting cheaper.  For people with capped internet, it also may not be terrible in that their overage costs may enjoy some level of offset from the savings.  

I'm genuinely curious, what game had a DRM that ruined performance?

Latest Batman game

Dragon Age 3 (impacted performance, at least)

Lords of the Fallen

FIFA 15

The most recent examples.

this generation feels so entitled

Customers "feel" entitled, because, well, they fucking are entitled. When a customer buys something, they are entitled to a working product with proper support.

A company that doesn't respect its customers will lose their customers and gain them back as pirates.

While I still live by "if it's not worth buying, it's not worth pirating", I don't blame those who do pirate. Because at least when it comes to AAA, the product you get by paying is in nine out of ten cases worse than what you get by pirating them.

Ideally, they'd just turn to honest indie games instead and kill off the rotten AAA assembly line once and for all, but I liken them to drug addicts I guess.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

People need to get on with the times, Microsoft isn't going to release Windows 10 on floppy discs even though some people still use them xD

Maybe we should ask publishers to follow Microsoft's lead ... when distributing something in a physical format, use USB drives. Capacity out the wazzoo, relatively inexpensive to produce, but not nearly as cheap as disk-based media, but a hell of a lot easier to ship.

Thumb-drive installations for the win.

What if I want to play fallout 4 in 2050? Steam won't be around to authorize it. Piracy is the only option for longevity.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

What if I want to play fallout 4 in 2050? Steam won't be around to authorize it. Piracy is the only option for longevity.

Your disc won't survive for that long. If it survives until 2030 you can call that a miracle. And PC's won't have DVD readers in 2050.  :lol:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Customers "feel" entitled, because, well, they fucking are entitled. When a customer buys something, they are entitled to a working product with proper support.

A company that doesn't respect its customers will lose their customers and gain them back as pirates.

While I still live by "if it's not worth buying, it's not worth pirating", I don't blame those who do pirate. Because at least when it comes to AAA, the product you get by paying is in nine out of ten cases worse than what you get by pirating them.

Ideally, they'd just turn to honest indie games instead and kill off the rotten AAA assembly line once and for all, but I liken them to drug addicts I guess.

This exactly.

This is why I bought GRID 2 and then came back to buy the Humble Bundle pack with Dirt 3, because Codemasters doesn't treat us like filthy pirates.

That's also why the only Ubisoft game I've bought was with Team Fortress 2 keys and that was Driver San Francisco.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If this is going to be the case then why even bother distributing the PC version via physical form anyway?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

In my mind I want all or nothing. Either give me disc(s) that contain the entire game, or give me no disc at all. Taking time to produce disc(s) with only some content isn't piracy, it's laziness. If they truly wanted to fight piracy then they wouldn't give a disc at all.

Is the plastic used for the connectors good? Because the plastic on my DVD drive is falling to bits and I only bought it at the start of last year (seriously, I've got CD drives from 1995 that have no perishing at all-and the original bands, and yet my first SATA optical drive barely lasted 18 months).

Well, I've been running that particular BD-R drive in my system for about 2 months now and only problem so far has been software-related (namely: the BS implemented by Disney for Avengers: Age of Ultron BluRay that makes it impossible to play in VLC).

I do have to wonder, who made the SATA DVD drive that died on you? I've not yet had a problem with ASUS & LG items for parts like optical drives or monitors (running pair of LG Flatron E2441's right now).

They can still offer digital AND physical at the same time. Why are you telling me to move on? What's it to you if I like the physical copy? If they are going to offer a "physical copy," all I ask is they don't half-ass it like they did here.

why should they? 92% digital download.....physical discs for pc games is on life support, just pull the plug already. 

Latest Batman game

Dragon Age 3 (impacted performance, at least)

Lords of the Fallen

FIFA 15

The most recent examples.

yeah but this isnt a non working product (yet?) so asking to catter to the 5% is entitled.  everything else you said i agree with.

you get to play the fallout 4 GOTY ultimate 8k remake 45 year anniversary edition....

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Everything is getting linked with Steam with time.
Just heard about Quake Live that will ditch their own launcher and just be fully integrated with Steam while for now it's both. You can choose either or the other.

I personally kept it separate with it's own launcher.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

why should they? 92% digital download.....physical discs for pc games is on life support, just pull the plug already

I disagree. And according to this threads poll 130-49 agree this was a wrong (and shitty) move by Bethesda.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Here's my take: if you're gonna sell me a partially (or fully) digital game as a retail product, you better fucking go above and beyond when it comes to the goodies it includes.

Here's an example, this is the manual I got for Baldur's Gate II back in the early 2000s when I bought it:

2382080-20111218193613.jpg

That motherfucker is 263 pages long: it's a full fucking book and could conceivable be used to play Advanced D&D, like the tabletop fucking game not just the PC game. I actually have brought it as an inmpromptu player's handbook when we only had 1 for all the players. And it wasn't even the only item it came with it also had a map and the 4 cd jewel case with cds.

Now since you're saving on CDs my expectation would be for me to get even more than this since this was 50 bucks 14 years ago. Anything less it's just pure fucking greed.

What makes me seriously mad is the collectors editions for digital do not come with anything and are the same price wtf

Haha, it's funny. I see so many people complaining. Yet those same people to on to say that it doesn't affect them because they'll be downloading the game on Steam.

I'd imagine there is such a small percentage of people buying the game in physical form, that it doesn't matter. Sure, it sucks to have to download some. However no one has stated how much you'll have to download. Perhaps it's only a few GB out of the 30GB title. Seems like a fair trade off to me. If that's the case, they wouldn't be waiting any longer than those that download the whole 30GB.

On another note, if your internet is THAT bad, chances are you don't play a whole lot of games. In areas with that kind of under development (3rd world aside, but that raises other issues) people generally aren't that interested in gaming. They have other things to focus on, like farm chores, or actually going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer.

There's so much more to it than just a disc.

Look at BestBuy's PC section.

There's a reason it's so small...

In a few years I'm sure there won't be.

Haha, insane.

Still, the gaming industry as a whole has gotten a lot more greedy. You won't see things like that anymore. Look at the prices of games these days. $79.99? Are you fucking kidding me?

They're asking too much.

The worst part is, they'll release DLC a few months later and say "pay half the price of the game for a few more hours!".

I'm glad there's only 4 or 5 games I want this year. Maybe down to 3 depending on how the first few turn out.

The extra steps make it harder. I'm surprised they bothered releasing a disc at all, people should be happy there is one.

Assuming development = internet speeds is not always accurate, you know Australia exists.

To be honest ,the real question should be why ISPs still use data caps and still refuse to pay for infrastructure when their profits are booming? Most of the time data caps are pointless in a traffic control sense.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide