Acer's new GSYNC 100Hz 34" Widescreen IPS

VirtualDemon

Go get, em Canadians.  After two more days of playing with it, the black light bleed is non-existent on my brightness level i normally use and at max just barely seen in the left bottom corner.  All other issues have been resolved since the latest Nvidia update.

A gorgeous monitor that I'm very happy with.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

Newegg now shows it as "Not Available" in addition to out of stock. This is new, as it's been out of stock past few days and hasn't shown that red message at the top. Wonder why.

0ec8ece975623b7c76c536539c9ac1c1.png

ACER might be thinking of recalling all the monitors for another firmware update, as there are quite a few issues with it at the moment.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

ACER might be thinking of recalling all the monitors for another firmware update, as there are quite a few issues with it at the moment.

I highly doubt this.  I've been in almost daily contact with an Acer rep who helped me get mine in Canada. The four or five distributed early here in Canada have had really zero problems and on TFTCentral more and more folks are reporting zero problems.  The black blob is seemingly a shipping issue which would require RMA, there are some debates on some of the sleep issues, as some were able to fix it others have not. No reason to recall everything if there are folks out there with no issues.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

I highly doubt this.  I've been in almost daily contact with an Acer rep who helped me get mine in Canada. The four or five distributed early here in Canada have had really zero problems and on TFTCentral more and more folks are reporting zero problems.  The black blob is seemingly a shipping issue which would require RMA, there are some debates on some of the sleep issues, as some were able to fix it others have not. No reason to recall everything if there are folks out there with no issues.

I am waiting for a statement from ACER, we do not know if this could effect longevity or cause other issues. We might we waiting a long time though, for the ACER

statement

Just seen another problem, some person had flashing with their monitor. How did this monitor pass QC, ACER trying to rush it to beat ASUS again

This confirms all the problems

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/td-p/390434/page/6

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

I am waiting for a statement from ACER, we do not know if this could effect longevity or cause other issues. We might we waiting a long time though, for the ACER

statement

Just seen another problem, some person had flashing with their monitor. How did this monitor pass QC, ACER trying to rush it to beat ASUS again

This confirms all the problems

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/td-p/390434/page/6

You think that they owe anyone a statement.  I go back and remind folks that the people posting issues were part of the original "beta" which was fixed with the banding issues before the large world wide shipping.  You see mainly only those who are having issues.  For all we know the problems that are being reported are less than 5, 2 or 1% of the monitors out there and if many of those problems are due to shipping damage, why on earth would Acer put out any type of public statement when it all could be within the standard expected defective rate?

Acer has been publicly working with people on their own site, asking for serial numbers and posting statements there on issues.  They have been working with the people with the issues to identify what the issue is and possible fixes.  In several circumstances the issue was resolved through technical support and/or users experimenting and finding their own solutions  like myself.  The minor issues I'm having I don't believe are monitor caused but driver caused.  One update from Nvidia fixed one issue but then caused another, so why would Acer put out a statement for that?

I think your expectations are a bit big.

You think that they owe anyone a statement.  I go back and remind folks that the people posting issues were part of the original "beta" which was fixed with the banding issues before the large world wide shipping.  You see mainly only those who are having issues.  For all we know the problems that are being reported are less than 5, 2 or 1% of the monitors out there and if many of those problems are due to shipping damage, why on earth would Acer put out any type of public statement when it all could be within the standard expected defective rate?

Acer has been publicly working with people on their own site, asking for serial numbers and posting statements there on issues.  They have been working with the people with the issues to identify what the issue is and possible fixes.  In several circumstances the issue was resolved through technical support and/or users experimenting and finding their own solutions  like myself.  The minor issues I'm having I don't believe are monitor caused but driver caused.  One update from Nvidia fixed one issue but then caused another, so why would Acer put out a statement for that?

I think your expectations are a bit big.

Well just considering some of the Overclock.net forums as well, I am not just on about the banding issues, there are so many different problems with this monitor (a lot of people get it, not everyone though) the rate of people with problems could be 40 percent or it could be 4 percent, we do not know, however I know there are a lot of different problems. 

This has gone past the "standard defect rate"  also we know ACER are taking serial numbers and working with people to fix the problems, however we do not even know if ACER is sending any of the information to QC control. I mean this is ACER it could be happening, if this was Dell, LG, ASUS and Samsung I do not think this would happen

Also bad customer support and 2 year warranty, for a £980 monitor, not worth it

Well just considering some of the Overclock.net forums as well, I am not just on about the banding issues, there are so many different problems with this monitor (a lot of people get it, not everyone though) the rate of people with problems could be 40 percent or it could be 4 percent, we do not know, however I know there are a lot of different problems.

This has gone past the "standard defect rate" also we know ACER are taking serial numbers and working with people to fix the problems, however we do not even know if ACER is sending any of the information to QC control. I mean this is ACER it could be happening, if this was Dell, LG, ASUS and Samsung I do not think this would happen

It's only 2 years? Newegg says 3

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

It's only 2 years? Newegg says 3

I did ask ACER they say 2 years on all products except the professional series. That is in the UK though, or it could be that Newegg is covering the last year, also UK retailers only list it for 2 years warranty

This has gone past the "standard defect rate"  also we know ACER are taking serial numbers and working with people to fix the problems, however we do not even know if ACER is sending any of the information to QC control. I mean this is ACER it could be happening, if this was Dell, LG, ASUS and Samsung I do not think this would happen

Have you ever worked in the industry with products? The reason they are taking serial numbers are: 1. They want to verify that the person has an actual Acer monitor that is legally owned 2. to determine where it was manufactured at, shipped from and if there are different components in the monitors from one to another, what is actually in this monitor.  3. To verify the person who owns it so if there is a need to RMA that info is all there.   You say this has gone past the "standard defect rate" but in fact you don't know:  1. What that rate is 2. How many they have sold 3. exactly how many separate monitors are having issues.  You are making an awful lot of assumptions based on your dislike for Acer.  

You don't like Acer, great.  I Love Asus but I despise their customer support. It is the worst out there that I have experienced and I wouldn't want to buy something again from them just because of the bad experience, but if this was Asus instead of Acer, I wouldn't be making such wide ranging statements in which I could neither qualify or prove.

It is fine to have an opinion. It is not a good thing to pass opinion off as fact when you don't actually have any other than the fact you have been reading "a lot" of complaints on some websites.

Have you ever worked in the industry with products? The reason they are taking serial numbers are: 1. They want to verify that the person has an actual Acer monitor that is legally owned 2. to determine where it was manufactured at, shipped from and if there are different components in the monitors from one to another, what is actually in this monitor.  3. To verify the person who owns it so if there is a need to RMA that info is all there.   You say this has gone past the "standard defect rate" but in fact you don't know:  1. What that rate is 2. How many they have sold 3. exactly how many separate monitors are having issues.  You are making an awful lot of assumptions based on your dislike for Acer.  

You don't like Acer, great.  I Love Asus but I despise their customer support. It is the worst out there that I have experienced and I wouldn't want to buy something again from them just because of the bad experience, but if this was Asus instead of Acer, I wouldn't be making such wide ranging statements in which I could neither qualify or prove.

It is fine to have an opinion. It is not a good thing to pass opinion off as fact when you don't actually have any other than the fact you have been reading "a lot" of complaints on some websites.

I get what you are saying however, we really do not know what ACER are doing (if they will do anything at all, they just left the ACER 1440p monitor with all the problems) we cannot really argue here, the only thing that stands out is all the problems this monitor has from user reviews.

We cannot prove your comment as well, so really we both do not know what ACER are doing at the moment. These are the facts

Problems

Monitor flashing

Half the screen does not function sometimes and leaves a black screen, where you have to restart the computer or turn off the monitor

Coil whine

Not reaching 100hz

Settings being reset to default

Also

Blue banding issue (been fixed though, was still a problem that got past QC)

These are all the problems we know about with the ACER Predator X34 and we do not know if ACER plan to do anything with the monitor.

You were one of the few excited about this monitor then out of no where you decided you hate ACER and this monitor. What happened? It seems like the last 8-12 post I've seen from you have all been negative about this monitor and suggesting another that we know even less about. Why?

I have a ACER monitor currently, no problems over the last 5 years I've had it. I also own a laptop, which did need RMA because of ONE, dead pixel after 3 months of owning it and they didn't hassle me for anything, replaced it and the new one works fine. The whole QC and customer service problems you harp them for have been non existent to me.

The "problems" you are "aware" of with the monitor are things that could happen to any tech product. Coil hine happens, not something you want but it can to anything. Not reaching 100hz can also happen, thats not a really issue. The monitor does what it says it can, I don't RMA my GPU when it can't hit 1500mhz. I didn't get a good OC, I move on. Settings being reset sounds like a driver issue, not a monitor issue and this can be easily fixed. If you constantly live in fear of the "my product won't be perfect" what if's then you will never own anything.

I get what you are saying however, we really do not know what ACER are doing (if they will do anything at all, they just left the ACER 1440p monitor with all the problems) we cannot really argue here, the only thing that stands out is all the problems this monitor has from user reviews.

We cannot prove your comment as well, so really we both do not know what ACER are doing at the moment. These are the facts

Problems

Monitor flashing

Half the screen does not function sometimes and leaves a black screen, where you have to restart the computer or turn off the monitor

Coil whine

Not reaching 100hz

Settings being reset to default

Also

Blue banding issue (been fixed though, was still a problem that got past QC)

These are all the problems we know about with the ACER Predator X34 and we do not know if ACER plan to do anything with the monitor.

Here is also what we know.  Many folks have posted that they have ZERO problems.  We also know that people are more apparent to post that they have issues than if they have no issue.  We know Acer has been active on its forums and working with people. We also know that Acer has honoured RMAs and many that got their second monitor are having no issues. 

From a business standpoint, I would say the fact that Acer has gone ahead and started releasing their stock again.  I can't imagine that Acer would do this if they weren't fairly confident that the issues you related reflected a minimal amount of the overall stock out there.  RMA's cost a LOT of money and I do not believe Acer would continue to release them if all they are going to do is RMA.

Here is also what we know.  Many folks have posted that they have ZERO problems.  We also know that people are more apparent to post that they have issues than if they have no issue.  We know Acer has been active on its forums and working with people. We also know that Acer has honoured RMAs and many that got their second monitor are having no issues. 

From a business standpoint, I would say the fact that Acer has gone ahead and started releasing their stock again.  I can't imagine that Acer would do this if they weren't fairly confident that the issues you related reflected a minimal amount of the overall stock out there.  RMA's cost a LOT of money and I do not believe Acer would continue to release them if all they are going to do is RMA.

They did continue to release the 1440p 144hz panel with terrible QC, anyway lets just wait, they might fix it or they might just leave it :)

You were one of the few excited about this monitor then out of no where you decided you hate ACER and this monitor. What happened? It seems like the last 8-12 post I've seen from you have all been negative about this monitor and suggesting another that we know even less about. Why?

I have a ACER monitor currently, no problems over the last 5 years I've had it. I also own a laptop, which did need RMA because of ONE, dead pixel after 3 months of owning it and they didn't hassle me for anything, replaced it and the new one works fine. The whole QC and customer service problems you harp them for have been non existent to me.

The "problems" you are "aware" of with the monitor are things that could happen to any tech product. Coil hine happens, not something you want but it can to anything. Not reaching 100hz can also happen, thats not a really issue. The monitor does what it says it can, I don't RMA my GPU when it can't hit 1500mhz. I didn't get a good OC, I move on. Settings being reset sounds like a driver issue, not a monitor issue and this can be easily fixed. If you constantly live in fear of the "my product won't be perfect" what if's then you will never own anything.

I am just saying for £980 I am not sure how these issues did not get picked up, I was really excited for this monitor (I pre ordered it in early July) then I just keep noticing all these problems. Also they do say it "should" reach 100hz, I just think ASUS will do a better job at designing this monitor.

It also looks better (opinion) longer warranty and better QC (should be as it is ASUS) if this monitor was not coming out, I would buy the ACER Predator X34 even with the issues, however it will only be 2 or 3 months till it comes out, ASUS will announce the release date in early to mid November, so I will wait for it.

They did continue to release the 1440p 144hz panel with terrible QC, anyway lets just wait, they might fix it or they might just leave it :)

I am just saying for £980 I am not sure how these issues did not get picked up, I was really excited for this monitor (I pre ordered it in early July) then I just keep noticing all these problems. Also they do say it "should" reach 100hz, I just think ASUS will do a better job at designing this monitor.

It also looks better (opinion) longer warranty and better QC (should be as it is ASUS) if this monitor was not coming out, I would buy the ACER Predator X34 even with the issues, however it will only be 2 or 3 months till it comes out, ASUS will announce the release date in early to mid November, so I will wait for it.

To be fair, with pretty much any product there are issues with some of the items shipped. This monitor has barely been out and there's been what, 5-10 people saying they have issues? Unless acer only shipped 30 units worldwide I doubt there's a huge widespread problem.

Not to mention people who buy something and are happy with it tend not to go out of their way to make forum posts about it, so of the things you read online you're more likely to read negative things because they're the ones who are posting.

And at the end of the day, if there's something wrong with the unit you get, you can get it replaced. It's not that complex.

That said I'm personally waiting it out to buy one until I see more reviews/comparisons with the ASUS version.

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

To be fair, with pretty much any product there are issues with some of the items shipped. This monitor has barely been out and there's been what, 5-10 people saying they have issues? Unless acer only shipped 30 units worldwide I doubt there's a huge widespread problem.

Not to mention people who buy something and are happy with it tend not to go out of their way to make forum posts about it, so of the things you read online you're more likely to read negative things because they're the ones who are posting.

And at the end of the day, if there's something wrong with the unit you get, you can get it replaced. It's not that complex.

That said I'm personally waiting it out to buy one until I see more reviews/comparisons with the ASUS version.

Yeah, I understand your comment, it just put me off the monitor having the issues, so I am waiting for the ASUS PG348Q, I will ask JJ next week, if we have any more information :)

Yeah, I understand your comment, it just put me off the monitor having the issues, so I am waiting for the ASUS PG348Q, I will ask JJ next week, if we have any more information :)

Well I wouldn't hold your breath with Asus. They are very good at announcing stuff and taking their sweet time putting it out.  AT CES in the Spring they announced the Asus Claymore Keyboard and Asus Spatha Mouse.  Still no 'official' announcement on these.

If you want to wait for the Asus, have at it, but is it necessary to make claims that you have no numbers to back up?  A quick browse on TFT forums there are about 10-15 folks having issues with the new versions of it.  There have been 10-15 folks who have gotten it and liked it and posted.  Even if there were 25 folks posting, if there are 1000 monitors out there that is a 2.5% RMA rate.  Honestly that is damn good with such a complicated piece of hardware.  The Samsung sm951 has a .5 to 1% failure rate and I happened to get 2 in a row from a bad lot.  That number was directly from Samsung.  Anything below 3-4% is pretty much a win when you take into account packaging, shipping and all the internal parts may work when tested but after 10 hours usage have issues.  No company turns on monitors or any product for hours on end for each and every one they ship.  That is what pre-testing is for.  Once you got it working the way you want, you mass produce, turn it on, check the settings with your standards then ship.

Anyway, wish you the best of luck with you waiting for Asus.  I'm very happy with the Acer Predator x34. I own it and have been watching movies, playing games on it and using it now for 6 days.  Has it been issue free? No, but the issue is driver related... Nvidia's driver.  Apparently Nvidia when this was first released didn't have a driver that fully understood this unique monitor and its resolutions. Perhaps that means I should blame Nvidia and call everything they do shite, turn in both my GPUs and buy AMD?  Whatcha think?

Well I wouldn't hold your breath with Asus. They are very good at announcing stuff and taking their sweet time putting it out.  AT CES in the Spring they announced the Asus Claymore Keyboard and Asus Spatha Mouse.  Still no 'official' announcement on these.

If you want to wait for the Asus, have at it, but is it necessary to make claims that you have no numbers to back up?  A quick browse on TFT forums there are about 10-15 folks having issues with the new versions of it.  There have been 10-15 folks who have gotten it and liked it and posted.  Even if there were 25 folks posting, if there are 1000 monitors out there that is a 2.5% RMA rate.  Honestly that is damn good with such a complicated piece of hardware.  The Samsung sm951 has a .5 to 1% failure rate and I happened to get 2 in a row from a bad lot.  That number was directly from Samsung.  Anything below 3-4% is pretty much a win when you take into account packaging, shipping and all the internal parts may work when tested but after 10 hours usage have issues.  No company turns on monitors or any product for hours on end for each and every one they ship.  That is what pre-testing is for.  Once you got it working the way you want, you mass produce, turn it on, check the settings with your standards then ship.

Anyway, wish you the best of luck with you waiting for Asus.  I'm very happy with the Acer Predator x34. I own it and have been watching movies, playing games on it and using it now for 6 days.  Has it been issue free? No, but the issue is driver related... Nvidia's driver.  Apparently Nvidia when this was first released didn't have a driver that fully understood this unique monitor and its resolutions. Perhaps that means I should blame Nvidia and call everything they do shite, turn in both my GPUs and buy AMD?  Whatcha think?

We know it cannot be postage, it is a firmware fault by ACER it seems and the other issues cannot be from postage, however if you get a good monitor then it is worth it.

I do agree ASUS take their time in releasing products (good thing, normally better QC) however they announce it but never give a release date, so we do not know when a product should come out. They have said the release date for the PG348Q will be early January, however I think it will be before if ASUS is announcing the release date in early or mid November, so I will wait for it.

lol calm down boys

We are fine, just having a discussion on the monitors :)