Acer's new GSYNC 100Hz 34" Widescreen IPS

VirtualDemon

When it comes to Asus, they are pretty good with RMAs, with the caveat "once you get it approved.".  I have had to go through hoops like you wouldn't believe to get some MB RMAs approved, some taking over a month.  Once it was approved, got the replacement within 2 days.   Sadly for me, Asus loves to continually blame the user (me) on a malfunctioning item.  Probably the biggest thing that irked me was a MB working fine for 6 months, water cooled and everything, suddenly have problems and they expect me to take the MB out and test it outside the case, 3 techs expected me to do this while I was on the phone with them, even after I explained this was a water cooled system.

That actually sounds pretty horrible to me. I also had to jump through many hoops to get an RMA approved, on an 850 dollar laptop, and in the end it took 3 trips to ASUS to get the problem fixed(the problem made it completely non functional). The final time the laptop returned with a new problem(the screen now flickers badly), which they refused to fix as it was now past the one year warranty mark.

It was a pretty poor RMA experience from start to finish to go with the poor product. To make matters worse it was in the middle of my most grueling year of school when I needed the laptop most that this happened. It was easily the worst RMA experience I've had(not that Ive had a ton of them). I would have just sold the POS laptop and took a huge loss so I could get a laptop that worked, but the problems with it rendered it completely unusable and unsellable. In other words ASUS almost caused me to fail school.

So yeah, ASUS customer service is retched from my experience.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

That actually sounds pretty horrible to me. I also had to jump through many hoops to get an RMA approved, on an 850 dollar laptop, and in the end it took 3 trips to ASUS to get the problem fixed(the problem made it completely non functional). The final time the laptop returned with a new problem(the screen now flickers badly), which they refused to fix as it was now past the one year warranty mark.

It was a pretty poor RMA experience from start to finish to go with the poor product. To make matters worse it was in the middle of my most grueling year of school when I needed the laptop most that this happened. It was easily the worst RMA experience I've had(not that Ive had a ton of them). I would have just sold the POS laptop and took a huge loss so I could get a laptop that worked, but the problems with it rendered it completely unusable and unsellable. In other words ASUS almost caused me to fail school.

So yeah, ASUS customer service is retched from my experience.

Here are a couple of images:

CRunsHxVEAAHCHR.jpg

CRumBNRUcAEyJLJ.jpg

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

Here are a couple of images:

CRunsHxVEAAHCHR.jpg

CRumBNRUcAEyJLJ.jpg

Is 100hz very noticeable over 60? 

Also, any pics of the bottom light glow?

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

Is 100hz very noticeable over 60? 

Also, any pics of the bottom light glow?

100hz is a HUGE improvement over 60 but still not nearly as smooth as 144hz....if that helps

I prefer to remain positive than to spend days worrying about potential issues.  The other people also got theirs from places other than Acer.  This came delivered in 1 day and was wrapped up like it was Waterford Crystal. 

Do you have the black blob issue

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Do you have the black blob issue

Nope, nor do i have the colour banding issue, nor do I have the flickering issue or the IPS glow issue.  Looks great.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Nope, nor do i have the colour banding issue, nor do I have the flickering issue or the IPS glow issue.  Looks great.

Nice, it seems quite a few people are having lots of different problems with it. If you got a good one though, it is worth it (just hard to find though)

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Recently, it just seems like you want the monitor to fail. What happened?

I would go back and repeat what I said before.  You say, "quite a lot of people having issues". How do you quantify this number? Of course those having issues are going to post and seek help.  But there are people like me who really aren't having any issues.  How many others out there are like me and have little to no issues?

Obviously those that got the "beta" release in Germany will have had banding issues and it will have to RMA.  There have been many who said that along with the banding issues they had flickering or black blobs.  They RMA'd got the new one, no more problems.

My issue is nothing really to do with the monitor but how the driver initially recognized it, trying to set it up as a 3860x2160 in 16:9 format.  It is actually a 344x1440 in 21:9.  Once I was able to set it to that, it works fine.  The only issue up on restart it somehow creates a 'ghost" custom of 344x1440 with 59hz. I have to go into the Nvidia control panel and change it and it is fine.

I'm thinking that isn't an issue with the monitor but how the driver is recognizing it and will be fixed in the future with a newer Nvidia driver. :)

Loving it!  No lines, no black spots, no colour banding and the IPS glow is minimal and I have to really look for it to see it.

100hz is a HUGE improvement over 60 but still not nearly as smooth as 144hz....if that helps

I wonder what's better, a 144hz 27" IPS w/ GSYNC or a 34" widescreen with 100

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Coil whining china shit, not worth this big price tag.

Had two of them, before and after firmware update. Both startet coil whining after some days on 80hz+.

No coil whine here!!

It seems the UK date got pushed back to 6 November, was planned for 28 August before these delays

Hm, i'm still torn on this. I could get the x34 for $1300, or Dell's U3415W for nearly half the price at $650-700. It's a 34" 1440p widescreen but has 60hz and no GSYNC. Worth saving ~$600 and holding off until future GSYNC widescreens with 144Hz or spend the high premium for the x34?

Hm, i'm still torn on this. I could get the x34 for $1300, or Dell's U3415W for nearly half the price at $650-700. It's a 34" 1440p widescreen but has 60hz and no GSYNC. Worth saving ~$600 and holding off until future GSYNC widescreens with 144Hz or spend the high premium for the x34?

The Dell is good but I would really wait for the PG348Q before making any decisions, although it depends on your budget as the Dell monitor gets reduced quite often, as it is not the top end now.

We will not find a 3440x1440p 144hz Curved 21.9 Gsync monitor for a long time, this is because we need to wait for DP 1.3 (might be high end Pascal or Volta) which would be Pascal 2017 or Volta 2018, low end or mid end Pascal might have it but that will still be 2016, then you got to add the time it takes to make the monitor, which would be early 2017 or it might be early 2018

I would wait for the ASUS PG348Q, then decide what you want to do

The Dell is good but I would really wait for the PG348Q before making any decisions, although it depends on your budget as the Dell monitor gets reduced quite often, as it is not the top end now.

We will not find a 3440x1440p 144hz Curved 21.9 Gsync monitor for a long time, this is because we need to wait for DP 1.3 (might be high end Pascal or Volta) which would be Pascal 2017 or Volta 2018, low end or mid end Pascal might have it but that will still be 2016, then you got to add the time it takes to make the monitor, which would be early 2017 or it might be early 2018

I would wait for the ASUS PG348Q, then decide what you want to do

I see. Budget isn't REALLY a huge issue for me, however saving $650 is always nice. I have a seller for a brand new Dell at $650 - which is the best price around right now. It's compelling to get that, it also allows me to have something good while at the same time wait for a better GSYNC alternative (and for the Acer/Asus to drop in price)

I recently built my PC and currently have no (good) monitor so that's why I want one right now.

I'd say try it. If you find your setup can consistently push the 60Hz and you find little drop in frames/tearing then keep it. If you decide you like the panel but think there could be a benefit from the sync tech then give it back and get the Acer. The Dell is no slouch of a screen and one of the best stands for a monitor but, less "gamer" bells and whistles that the Acer has.

I have waiting for the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, then I can build my computer, I have to use a 1080p 60hz TN monitor while I wait for the ASUS PG348Q :(

I have waiting for the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, then I can build my computer, I have to use a 1080p 60hz TN monitor while I wait for the ASUS PG348Q :(

Me too. Ramcity says it comes in next week then is shipped to me. Hopefully first week of November!

Me too. Ramcity says it comes in next week then is shipped to me. Hopefully first week of November!

Yeah, Scan UK says it comes in on the 6 November

I bought this.

I can confirm that it's an amazing monitor and mine overclocks to 100hz without any issues (a store model only got to 95hz though). I use SLI 970s and Witcher 3 on high winces a little bit, and doesn't make 60hz (55-60) but with G-Sync it doesn't make too much of a difference. I haven't had the chance to test it with modern FPS games. 

Is it worth the $2,000NZD that I paid for it? I'm not sure, but it does change how I'm gaming, gaming experience, and workflow for when I'm not. 

I bought this.

I can confirm that it's an amazing monitor and mine overclocks to 100hz without any issues (a store model only got to 95hz though). I use SLI 970s and Witcher 3 on high winces a little bit, and doesn't make 60hz (55-60) but with G-Sync it doesn't make too much of a difference. I haven't had the chance to test it with modern FPS games. 

Is it worth the $2,000NZD that I paid for it? I'm not sure, but it does change how I'm gaming and workflow for when I'm not. 

That is the boat i'm in. I paid almost 2k CAD for mine and the wife asks, is it worth it?  I do see the difference between my old 144hz ROG Swift and the 100hz VA monitor here when game playing, but it is minor, probably thanks to the SLI 980s.  I think the extra wide does really help my day to day work and game immersion is much better, but is it worth the price?   I was planning to either get this or an IPS 2k monitor.  I don't think I could tell the difference between 144Hz, 165Hz or 200Hz, so I'd really be getting an IPS panel vs the older TN panel.  Side by side the Predator just POPS better colour and clarity.  I'm already settling in with it and honestly, bottom line, it was a bit of an indulgence and about 400 dollars more than I would have liked to spend on a monitor like this, but that is the price to pay when you are one of 5 in Canada who actually got this monitor from Acer. Newegg pulled theirs before they put them out the door.  So far no problems so either I'm very lucky or foolish for spending so much.  Maybe a bit of both. :)

On a side note, i really liked Linus' review on it on Vessel. I thought it fair and appreciate he didn't bring up issues that he personally didn't experience.

On a side note, i really liked Linus' review on it on Vessel. I thought it fair and appreciate he didn't bring up issues that he personally didn't experience.

Yea just watched it. He sold it pretty well, only thing deterring me is the price. Especially considering it'll likely drop $200-300 in the next few months. Hmm.

Newegg now shows it as "Not Available" in addition to out of stock. This is new, as it's been out of stock past few days and hasn't shown that red message at the top. Wonder why.

0ec8ece975623b7c76c536539c9ac1c1.png