Acer's new GSYNC 100Hz 34" Widescreen IPS

VirtualDemon

Apologies if this has been posted previously.

So compared to what's on the market (LG's 34UC97-S) Is the $1,299 price tag worth it? It's the first 34" widescreen IPS to offer 100FPS/GSYNC over the current non-GSYNC 60FPS options which are available for around $900, though Acer does have a FreeSYNC one.

Think my wallet is going to hate me though.

http://www.acer.com/predator/en_US/predator_x34.html

1a3b45edf90b082a3b831ce764c10b28.png

efa189cccf234bcafcabefd285eb0064.png

2a92058bf49618af6bef1067333d11b1.png

234a95ca7a2f52fca15b3fd07074e5ca.png

1a5ca37e5dc6c8c2aca50b413dced45f.png

It's available at newegg but is currently out of stock.

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

Anyone wanna gift this amazing monitor to me? 

We'd be best friends for life!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

overclocking + dat underglow. 

gib pls. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

overclocking + dat underglow. 

gib pls. 

My thoughts as well

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Basically it is what many of us have been looking for, 4k gaming at something other than 60 Hz with G-Sync.

Mine comes next week!

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

Basically it is what many of us have been looking for, 4k gaming at something other than 60 Hz with G-Sync.

Mine comes next week!

I'm pretty much sold on it I think, now only if I can find it in stock somewhere.

Only Pro gamer can justify the GSync and extra refresh rate for a price of 400-500 bucks. Literally almost 50% more expensive than the already-the-most-expensive type of monitor out there.

The thing is, this monitor had blue banding problems, had to send them back for firmware update, now it has more problems, parts of the screen turn off and you have to start the computer to get them back, people are having bad backlight bleed problems and some people are having coil whine problems as well

This monitor is not worth it, ACER QC is terrible

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

The thing is, this monitor had blue banding problems, had to send them back for firmware update, now it has more problems, parts of the screen turn off and you have to start the computer to get them back, people are having bad backlight bleed problems and some people are having coil whine problems as well

This monitor is not worth it, ACER QC is terrible

The blue banding issue was fixed with a firmware upgrade before the latest batch was shipped.  I'm wondering about backlight bleed because people often confuse the difference between bleed and natural IPS glow.  IPS monitors do have that glow to them.  Some have reported coil whine, others have not, but I view this as a lottery much like you have when it comes to certain GPUs.

In the end, I've had the ROG Swift for over a year.  There have been people who have complained about it in varying reports and reviews, myself personally have never had a single issue with it. 

I've decided to give it a go.  If there are issues I'll give it an RMA or 2 then send it back if I need to, like i had to do with several Samsung m.2 sm951 drives.

It has been my experience that you often hear more bad about products than good. Those that enjoy the product and it is working as normal are not as likely to post their success as those who are having issues.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

The blue banding issue was fixed with a firmware upgrade before the latest batch was shipped.  I'm wondering about backlight bleed because people often confuse the difference between bleed and natural IPS glow.  IPS monitors do have that glow to them.  Some have reported coil whine, others have not, but I view this as a lottery much like you have when it comes to certain GPUs.

In the end, I've had the ROG Swift for over a year.  There have been people who have complained about it in varying reports and reviews, myself personally have never had a single issue with it. 

I've decided to give it a go.  If there are issues I'll give it an RMA or 2 then send it back if I need to, like i had to do with several Samsung m.2 sm951 drives.

It has been my experience that you often hear more bad about products than good. Those that enjoy the product and it is working as normal are not as likely to post their success as those who are having issues.

I also heard that the blue band issue was fixed. Hopefully things work fine, and it does come with a 3 year warranty.

It comes with a 2 year warranty in the UK

There are now more issues with this monitor

I would look at this topic for problems with the ACER Predator X34

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/m-p/390434#U390434

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

It comes with a 2 year warranty in the UK

There are now more issues with this monitor

I would look at this topic for problems with the ACER Predator X34

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/m-p/390434#U390434

I'm not debating that there are those who have issues.  This happens with any new launch. The people that jump in first really are testers for future firmware updates (just like the blue banding issue that was fixed).  I read the same reviews when i got my ROG Swift, dead pixels, instant restarting, power brick issues.  I still haven't had a single one.

I appreciate you pointing out the concerns from folks and in the end I may end up being one of those who RMA or ultimately return the monitor for a refund, but that is the chance you take getting any brand new item.  Lets face it the VAST VAST majority of new products out there work as intended but there will always be a failure rate and the majority of people who have problems will post on forums or call trying to find a fix for those problems.  When was the last time that you got a new MB, video card, memory, keyboard or whatever, and then had it work  perfectly and then posted a glowing review on a site?  Some do and that is great.  Most don't.

I looked at the TFT Central  review here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

They are experts on monitors.  The reports and write ups that they do are in depth, professional and very well written.   They noticed the "backlight bleed" that this person on the forum you posted stated and they concluded that is normal IPS glow and not backlight bleed.  Because the monitor is curved, it is more prominent, but the same curve that makes the IPS glow more noticeable is the same curve that makes the viewing angles so great.  It is trade offs. 

Finally considering that the Asus model will have the exact same IPS panel, I'm not sure that any of these "problems" are going to be less noticeable with the Asus version.   Either way I'm giving it a go.  I was lucky enough to get one of the first 50 Asus Predator monitors in Canada and I'm lucky to get one of the first 10 of these Acer ones.  I don't have calibration tools, nor do I even own a 980 TI or Titan. I have two GTX 980s running in SLI, which is more than enough GPU power to run a 34 inch, 4k monitor at 60 Hz.  I'm very interested in seeing if the extra 40Hz OC will be GPU powered or if it is more of a G-sync chip item.

One other thing I have noticed is all those came from Overclockers.UK site.  I'm getting mine directly from Acer.  I wonder if that will make any difference?

I'm not debating that there are those who have issues.  This happens with any new launch. The people that jump in first really are testers for future firmware updates (just like the blue banding issue that was fixed).  I read the same reviews when i got my ROG Swift, dead pixels, instant restarting, power brick issues.  I still haven't had a single one.

I appreciate you pointing out the concerns from folks and in the end I may end up being one of those who RMA or ultimately return the monitor for a refund, but that is the chance you take getting any brand new item.  Lets face it the VAST VAST majority of new products out there work as intended but there will always be a failure rate and the majority of people who have problems will post on forums or call trying to find a fix for those problems.  When was the last time that you got a new MB, video card, memory, keyboard or whatever, and then had it work  perfectly and then posted a glowing review on a site?  Some do and that is great.  Most don't.

I looked at the TFT Central  review here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

They are experts on monitors.  The reports and write ups that they do are in depth, professional and very well written.   They noticed the "backlight bleed" that this person on the forum you posted stated and they concluded that is normal IPS glow and not backlight bleed.  Because the monitor is curved, it is more prominent, but the same curve that makes the IPS glow more noticeable is the same curve that makes the viewing angles so great.  It is trade offs. 

Finally considering that the Asus model will have the exact same IPS panel, I'm not sure that any of these "problems" are going to be less noticeable with the Asus version.   Either way I'm giving it a go.  I was lucky enough to get one of the first 50 Asus Predator monitors in Canada and I'm lucky to get one of the first 10 of these Acer ones.  I don't have calibration tools, nor do I even own a 980 TI or Titan. I have two GTX 980s running in SLI, which is more than enough GPU power to run a 34 inch, 4k monitor at 60 Hz.  I'm very interested in seeing if the extra 40Hz OC will be GPU powered or if it is more of a G-sync chip item.

I really wanted the ACER Predator X34 (I preordered it back in early July) however these issues put me off the monitor, Just ACER QC is terrible, the new monitors might have to go in for another firmware update, that would be the third time now.

I just think ASUS would do a better job, as Dell or LG will not make one soon. The PG348Q also looks better, has a longer warranty and better customer service (depends on the country, however better than ACER)

Also TFT central just gets cherry pick monitors, good review however we know most companies send the best panel for them to review. The PG279Q is doing a lot better than the ACER 1440p version (still got some issues though)

I just think it would be worth the wait of 2 months (UK will start getting this monitor start of November) then ASUS will announce the release date of the PG348Q in mid November, so I will be waiting for it

I really wanted the ACER Predator X34 (I preordered it back in early July) however these issues put me off the monitor, Just ACER QC is terrible, the new monitors might have to go in for another firmware update, that would be the third time now.

I just think ASUS would do a better job, as Dell or LG will not make one soon. The PG348Q also looks better, has a longer warranty and better customer service (depends on the country, however better than ACER)

Also TFT central just gets cherry pick monitors, good review however we know most companies send the best panel for them to review. The PG279Q is doing a lot better than the ACER 1440p version (still got some issues though)

I just think it would be worth the wait of 2 months (UK will start getting this monitor start of November) then ASUS will announce the release date of the PG348Q in mid November, so I will be waiting for it

I'm not sure he gets to "cherry pick" as he reported and showed the original blue banding issues were evident on the one he reviewed.  He updated it later saying that the firmware patch fixed it.  In the end, I may be completely wrong and this may be a horrible purchase and require my money back. Only time will tell. :)

The question is, will ASUS allow as many returns as it takes to get a perfect panel like Acer will directly through mfg?

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

The question is, will ASUS allow as many returns as it takes to get a perfect panel like Acer will directly through mfg?

When it comes to Asus, they are pretty good with RMAs, with the caveat "once you get it approved.".  I have had to go through hoops like you wouldn't believe to get some MB RMAs approved, some taking over a month.  Once it was approved, got the replacement within 2 days.   Sadly for me, Asus loves to continually blame the user (me) on a malfunctioning item.  Probably the biggest thing that irked me was a MB working fine for 6 months, water cooled and everything, suddenly have problems and they expect me to take the MB out and test it outside the case, 3 techs expected me to do this while I was on the phone with them, even after I explained this was a water cooled system.

Also OCUK will allow you to take back the ASUS monitors if there are any dead pixels, they will class it as a fault (I think they will pay postage as it is a fault) this is why ASUS are better as they allowed OCUK to do this on the monitor.

Also OCUK will allow you to take back the ASUS monitors if there are any dead pixels, they will class it as a fault (I think they will pay postage as it is a fault) this is why ASUS are better as they allowed OCUK to do this on the monitor.

Been reading through the Overclockers.. there seem to be quite a few with zero issues there, so I go back to my original statement.  Those with issues will post more often than those with no issues.  There has been one complaint about screen flickers and there has been issues with calibration ONLY if you use a particular program on a non-manual setting.  I plan to calibrate mine using the TFT Central and do it manually.  The only other issue that is common is an issue with a band of darkened colour which has been noted on several but has more to do with shipping issues and does require an RMA.  IPS glow for many is less with this than other IPS monitors.  So in the end...I'm seeing nothing more negative than other new items.

Been reading through the Overclockers.. there seem to be quite a few with zero issues there, so I go back to my original statement.  Those with issues will post more often than those with no issues.  There has been one complaint about screen flickers and there has been issues with calibration ONLY if you use a particular program on a non-manual setting.  I plan to calibrate mine using the TFT Central and do it manually.  The only other issue that is common is an issue with a band of darkened colour which has been noted on several but has more to do with shipping issues and does require an RMA.  IPS glow for many is less with this than other IPS monitors.  So in the end...I'm seeing nothing more negative than other new items.

I guess the PG279Q has had a small sample at the moment but it seems the ACER Predator X34 might need to get another firmware update. I mean you can buy it is America (if that is where you are from) however the UK will get it early November, so you get it 3 weeks early compared to us in the UK, I am just interested in how the ASUS PG348Q will perform, they might not have announced something yet, that could make the monitor a lot different in specs (I think it will not happen) so if you want the ACER Predator X34, that is fine, just warning you about the current problems with it.

I'm in Canada and we are getting it 2 weeks after the US did.

Got the monitor today.  No issues like those described with banding, dropped frames, backlight bleed or blackened areas.

I do have an odd issue that I haven't seen before but it more of a driver issue.  When I installed the monitor and reinstalled the GPU driver, the monitor would simply turn off after about 20 seconds in Win 10.  My own fault I didn't turn on SLI, so no big deal.  But after turning on SLI still it would turn off as if it wasn't connected.  Worked around it by hooking up the HDMI cable and changed the input between DP and HDMI.  It came back on.  Switched back to DP.  It stays on and at 100Hz.   Only issue is if i restart the computer I have to go through this process again.

Acer is looking into it.  Very odd.

Other than that.. Wow I LOVE this monitor.

Got the monitor today.  No issues like those described with banding, dropped frames, backlight bleed or blackened areas.

I do have an odd issue that I haven't seen before but it more of a driver issue.  When I installed the monitor and reinstalled the GPU driver, the monitor would simply turn off after about 20 seconds in Win 10.  My own fault I didn't turn on SLI, so no big deal.  But after turning on SLI still it would turn off as if it wasn't connected.  Worked around it by hooking up the HDMI cable and changed the input between DP and HDMI.  It came back on.  Switched back to DP.  It stays on and at 100Hz.   Only issue is if i restart the computer I have to go through this process again.

Acer is looking into it.  Very odd.

Other than that.. Wow I LOVE this monitor.

Give it a few days, some people did not experience these issues when they got it.

Give it a few days, some people did not experience these issues when they got it.

I prefer to remain positive than to spend days worrying about potential issues.  The other people also got theirs from places other than Acer.  This came delivered in 1 day and was wrapped up like it was Waterford Crystal.