Audio-Technica ATH-M50X

mattonfire
Go to solution Solved by Lauen,

i don't think so, M50X is a monitor Headphone, so it's signature sound is pretty flat. HD558 my pick if you're into bass.

no. 

the M50X has MORE bass than the HD558. Have you even used them? 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf (there wasn't 558 but 598 has pretty much the exact same curve) 

EDIT: mattonfire I think M50X are good for bass, but if they're available, try to get Beyerdynamic DT770's instead. Better in every aspect on earth. 

i don't think so, M50X is a monitor Headphone, so it's signature sound is pretty flat. HD558 my pick if you're into bass.

Pretty much the same price, is it worth it? Does it also work with modmic. What do you mean monitor headphones?

no. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf (there wasn't 558 but 598 has pretty much the exact same curve) 

EDIT: mattonfire I think M50X are good for bass, but if they're available, try to get Beyerdynamic DT770's instead. Better in every aspect on earth. 

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

no.

i have a M40X, It feels really flat. maybe ot could apply to the Better model. cause ATH series known for being a monitor headphone.

i have a M40X, It feels really flat. maybe ot could apply to the Better model. cause ATH series known for being a monitor headphone.

I have the M50 (non X), which sounds pretty much exactly the same as the M50X, and the bass, compared to my Sennheiser PC360 (basically 518 with a mic on, and sounds almost exactly the same as 558) is overdone, it really gets up in your face and blasts you with bass, which is why it's a decent choice for OP. And just look at the raw frequency responses. It tells the whole story about which has more of what. 

I have the M50 (non X), which sounds pretty much exactly the same as the M50X, and the bass, compared to my Sennheiser PC360 (basically 518 with a mic on, and sounds almost exactly the same as 558) is overdone, it really gets up in your face and blasts you with bass, which is why it's a decent choice for OP. And just look at the raw frequency responses. It tells the whole story about which has more of what. 

i can't read those things :( anyways, it seems like you know more. i just feeling my M40X lacking Bass, and while i can tweak with the EQ, it just seem lacking. again, just my feeling. so that may be applicable to the better model i thought.

i can't read those things :( anyways, it seems like you know more. i just feeling my M40X lacking Bass, and while i can tweak with the EQ, it just seem lacking. again, just my feeling. so that may be applicable to the better model i thought.

everyone's ears are different. you'll get used to it over time. Now that I've used headphones with less bass than M50's, the M50's seem to have even more bass than I remember. 

Well, based on my hearing and some measurements that I read a while back, the M40X is more of a monitor headphone than the M50X. Hell, to be honest, you got the more neutral headphone. Which means, IMHO, more flexible with EQ.

Well, based on my hearing and some measurements that I read a while back, the M40X is more of a monitor headphone than the M50X. Hell, to be honest, you got the more neutral headphone. Which means, IMHO, more flexible with EQ.

that's a unique fact. I thought the higher the model, the more flat it becomes. like M70X, that headphone is very flat sounding from what i heard.

that's a unique fact. I thought the higher the model, the more flat it becomes. like M70X, that headphone is very flat sounding from what i heard.

Welp... you can kinda blame the likes of MKBHD for saying the M50X is neutral when its actually bassy. The M70X is actually an M40X thats just given more bling but is negligibly more neutral. The R70X would be one of the actual neutral headphones from AT because its getting a fair lot of complaints about it being similar to an HD800 without the massive soundstage. Meaning, its neutral to the point that its considered dry and a fair lot would say its boring. But oh well. Sony's CD900ST, 7506, and pretty much the likes, are pretty much a golden standard for a neutral closedback headphone. I see them in studios all the time (albeit studios of aspiring singers who mix, master, produce, compose, record, etc their own songs. But I'm told alot of professionals still use these, whether as a backup or a main one, and its been in production for YEARS if I remember correctly... maybe decades)

no. 

Alright I am able to get some 

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO's they're useful for other things instead of music right? You can game with them, or is the base just too overpowering for that?

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO's they're useful for other things instead of music right? You can game with them, or is the base just too overpowering for that?

DT770 will be fine for just about anything you want to do with it. It will also be better for general listening because it's a more comfortable headphone.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

as I said, better in every aspect: comfort, soundstage, sound quality, value, and more. 

Don't worry about the impedance, if your motherboard is even remotely new, it will be fine. Impedance isn't the deciding factor to how loud it gets. It will be fine. 

No.

post-53826-0-45093700-1445197955.png

However, dont get the M50x. They are not worth it.

DT770 will be fine for just about anything you want to do with it. It will also be better for general listening because it's a more comfortable headphone.

Do this.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No.

attachicon.gifM50vs558.png

However, dont get the M50x. They are not worth it.

Do this.

but the M50X does have less bass than the Senny at 75hz!!! :P

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

but the M50X does have less bass than the Senny at 75hz!!! :P

Ok, so if the music you listen to only has 75hrz bass, then the sennys have more :)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Ok, so if the music you listen to only has 75hrz bass, then the sennys have more :)

LOL! 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm using the ATH-M50x for monitoring and mixing in my home studio. FWIW, it's a great headphone, and will offer you a fairly flat, accurate representation of the sound signal, but you're definitely going to want something else if you want the pounding bass. Also, YMMV depending on how sensitive your ears are to different frequency ranges.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

I'm using the ATH-M50x for monitoring and mixing in my home studio. FWIW, it's a great headphone, and will offer you a fairly flat, accurate representation of the sound signal, but you're definitely going to want something else if you want the pounding bass. Also, YMMV depending on how sensitive your ears are to different frequency ranges.

Flat?

Not really...

More like a mountain road.

post-53826-0-35906300-1445204684.png

M50s sound anemic and harsh, very harsh. I believe that x version has not gone too far from them...

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

- swippy snip swip -

- snoggy swip snip -

- snippy snip snip -

Shit, you guys have been doing lots! This was a short post, I didn't think I was going to get any replies. db96mhb.png

which one? :P