"1 to 8 bay"? WD Reds

Method

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236343

Looking to rebuild my nas with larger drives. I'm currently looking at these but the "8 bay" limit thing seems weird. Normally I wouldn't think anything of it since it's just a hard drive but, figured I'd ask people. Any harm if I use these drives in something larger than 8 bays? Using Freenas ZFS

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

So I don't know for sure but I imagine it's one of those liability things. You probably could run more than 8 drives but WD probably only validated their stability in an 8 bay enclosure. So if you do I would just be cautious of vibration and heat, I think. Definitely vibration.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Im guessing they have some higher tier thing that they want to sell you

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Im guessing they have some higher tier thing that they want to sell you

Yes, there are "Red Pros" that support 16 drives.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

What makes them different that one model supports a specific number of drives? They're all on for the same amount of time, storing the same data...

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

Vibration effects hard drives. Hard drives spin, causing vibration. The more drives you have, the more vibration.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

I would wait for @Captain_WD to chime in - he can provide some more details about Red vs Red Pro, and why they chose an 8 bay limit for the Reds - but I do believe it comes down to the Red Pros having better physical hardware to withstand more vibrations.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

There's two HUGE reasons to go with Red Pro over the standard Red

Red:

Non-recoverable read errors per bits read <1 in 10^14

Limited warranty (years) 3

Red Pro:

Non-recoverable read errors per bits read <1 in 10^15

Limited warranty (years) 5

Nearly double the warranty and an order of magnitude less likely to have a non recoverable read error.

~snip~

Hey there Method (I just love the profile pic!) :)

Regular WD Red drives are designed and tested to work in environments with up to 8 drives in the drive pool. They are designed for regular consumer NAS and RAID setups and are recommended for usage in up to 8 in the same enclosure. You can find more info about them here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=

For larger number of drives I would recommend checking out WD Red Pro drives. They are designed and manufactured for up to 16 drives in the drive pool, have higher rpm, transfer speeds and longer warranty. Having more drives in the same anclosure naturally increases the vibrations and the heat levels and thus more safety measures are needed. WD Red Pro has better vibration protection and has some additional features over the regular WD Red that ensure better safety in denser drive pools. Here's some more info on this drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=

For even larger drive pools I would recommend checking the enterprise-level drives. :)

Thanks @brwainer for mentioning :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Method (I just love the profile pic!) :)

Regular WD Red drives are designed and tested to work in environments with up to 8 drives in the drive pool. They are designed for regular consumer NAS and RAID setups and are recommended for usage in up to 8 in the same enclosure. You can find more info about them here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=

For larger number of drives I would recommend checking out WD Red Pro drives. They are designed and manufactured for up to 16 drives in the drive pool, have higher rpm, transfer speeds and longer warranty. Having more drives in the same anclosure naturally increases the vibrations and the heat levels and thus more safety measures are needed. WD Red Pro has better vibration protection and has some additional features over the regular WD Red that ensure better safety in denser drive pools. Here's some more info on this drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=

For even larger drive pools I would recommend checking the enterprise-level drives. :)

Thanks @brwainer for mentioning :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the response! Your avatar is pretty great too!

This is good information, as I'll likely be needed both types of drives down the road (regular reds for home nas with 6 bays, red pros for work)