First Gigabyte AMD Gaming Motherboard announced!

guyfromnebraska

People are getting too hung up on this being for APUs thinking that APUs will never be a high end product, but just because last gen APUs weren't good for anyone but budget gamers doens't mean that they won't be in the future. If we can get the CPU performance up to a competitive level AND have decent on chip graphics? AMD could make a lot of money off budget gamers.

That would require them to have caught up in miniaturization (process) as the FM2+ socket is physically much smaller. And to be perfectly honest, it's going to have had to be a hell of an impressive leap in AMD R&D if FM2+ really is "high end" and not just AMD's "highest" end. I am crossing my fingers for a "miracle" that cores will deliver respectable IPC.

Honestly I think it'll just be a die shrink with little to no improvement to go in the 'forgettaboutit' bin.

The good part though, will be that ITX boards will be feasible for AMD CPUs. Which sums up my entire use for AMD chips (the tiniest box imaginable with an APU under the TV)

Well, the graphics end of the APU is going ot see a huge boost no matter what. they're moving that up to GCN, which also means a 28nm process instead of the 40nm on the previous so they can fit either a bigger cpu die (more cores) or add a lot more graphics horse power. This, combined with the CPU die presumably moving from 32nm to 28nm (or whatever their next stepping is, I'm not 100% on this. they do have a contract with TSMC to start doing 20nm starting around now which would give them an early 2014 release date) so you get the same kind of effect. Will it be an i7 level of performance? doubtful, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a chip that could compete with a 4670k to the level that the 8350 did AND has some decent on board GPU power as well. 

Think about this. AMD keeps there APU's up to rival lets say the i5 at the same cost or less. You have a Epic CPU plus you get great on-board graphics. So lets say you are waiting for a new series of GPU to come out but you need a system (and you don't have a card). Which would you rather get?

I think this could be great thing AMD is doing!

\

I want a shielded sabertooth motherboard for AM3+

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

as long as they can get the apu to crossfire with cyrrent(at the time) high end gpu or dedicate it to something like physics calculations, it could be a winner...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I think this is quite encouraging. I don't think Gigabyte would start bothering with a gaming board for FM2+ if it wasn't going to be a half decent gaming platform and if they didn't thing it was going to sell reasonably well. Maybe that 30% increase in performance that AMD is stating isn't going to be far off the mark. 

G1_SNIPER_A88X.jpg

130816_01.jpg

Source : http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1228

Taipei, Taiwan, August 16th, 2013 – GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today announced its new FM2+ motherboard lineup supporting the forthcoming 'Keveri' AMD APUs with support for existing socket FM2 Trinity and Richland APUs.

i cant care less about this rubbish, i want a replacement for 990fx which has been out for way too long.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

hahah! what if the next FX chips will be using fm2+ mobo :D

well i dont really think that anyone would use 2 or more graphics card in a APU build.. i doesnt make sense :lol:

I get the feeling we may see more CPU's like the Athlon 750K, some APU's with the graphics disabled. 

The thing I don't understand is why are they announcing these boards now when the next APU's aren't due for 4 months? Seems strange to me. Then again, AMD said no new GPU's this year and that was a huge lie, so who knows what they are up to. 

gigabyte has really stepped up there game the last couple of years these boards look so nice they make me want to buy one for the sake of it.

It is Pcie 3.0, that is something interesting.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Damn, I am still waiting when they are going to put it in retailer.

My motherboard just died last month.

Damn, I am still waiting when they are going to put it in retailer.

My motherboard just died last month.

You and every one of us will be waiting a little while before it comes out

hahah! what if the next FX chips will be using fm2+ mobo :D

well i dont really think that anyone would use 2 or more graphics card in a APU build.. i doesnt make sense :lol:

Maybe a sign that next fx going to be fm2+

They may be APUs, but it probably won't be on FM2+, unless they find a way to cram so much more into that smaller die.

I get the feeling we may see more CPU's like the Athlon 750K, some APU's with the graphics disabled. 

The thing I don't understand is why are they announcing these boards now when the next APU's aren't due for 4 months? Seems strange to me. Then again, AMD said no new GPU's this year and that was a huge lie, so who knows what they are up to. 

A few board partners usually announce something way ahead of launch. We saw this with Trinity and I believe Haswell/Ivy.

A few board partners usually announce something way ahead of launch. We saw this with Trinity and I believe Haswell/Ivy.

True, but 4 months before? That is a little odd. 

True, but 4 months before? That is a little odd. 

Saw it with Trinity, and i thought the very same. It's just marketing. Get yours known first, and it'll be the only known one for a while.